PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baugher waived, Chris Hanson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
rather have a punter that can kick it 60-70 yards when we are at our own 20 then one who place it at their 10 when we are punting from the 50. we are supposed to have a good defence. of course we may get great field position but the overall field position battle in a defensive struggle is won more easily with a long punt...and of course a short return

I would like to say I am totally in favor of long punts with short returns.:D

I really think punting statistics are misleading. For instance, a really bad team would be making a lot of long punts etc. etc.

I think it might help if more of the punter stats were reported as ratios -- e.g.

(punts down inside the 20)/touchbacks

Mike Scifres of SD was phenomenal at that last year -- 35 downed to just 2 TBs! What a huge boost for their defense.

So this is what he does when he's not hosting "To Catch a Predator."

I think it might help if more of the punter stats were reported as ratios -- e.g.

Mike Scifres of SD was phenomenal at that last year -- 35 downed to just 2 TBs! What a huge boost for their defense.
Along those lines, Hanson is a little better than Sauerbrun (career) with 2.72 In20/TB vs. 2.45 for Sauerbrun.

Ken Walter is a lot better there but . . . you know.

Re: Baugher Waived. Hanson signed.

As someone else said, this is a punter, but I'm SHOCKED. I had thought Baugher looked pretty damn good. I guess this shows just HOW key Belichick considers placement, inside 20, etc... My guess is the conversation went like this:

"Baugher, we want to take a look at Hanson. He's a veteran, a bit more experience/talent level when it comes to the 'finesse' aspect of punting. However, we want a chance to see these kids like Anam, West, etc... and this is our biggest chance to see them in extended action.

"So here's what we're going to do - we're going to cut you before this last pre-season game, and when we re-sign you (to the roster or the P.S.) we're going to give you a little extra money for helping us out, and after Thursday night, once it's allowed, we'll re-sign you either to the 53 or the PS, depending on what we think of Hanson. How's that sound, kid?"

You read my mind. There is no way that they let go of Miller, who was very good I thought, in order to release Baugher and sign Hansen out of nowhere. Then again, this is the Patriots. You never know with them.

I'm sure the Patriots have stats broken down in categories we can't even conceive of.

I think we know what BB thinks of long impressive punts that lead to long returns, based on his reaction to sauerbrun (sp) last year.:D

Chris Hanson from Dateline's To Catch a Predator?

The Pats may have more issues than we think.

Re: Baugher Waived. Hansen signed.

they have had a whole peseason to evaluate baugher, i guess they arent sold on him, they have been trying out different punters, putting claims on others so this shouldnt come as a surprise

interesting timing to do it less than two weeks before the season opener.

Re: Baugher Waived. Hanson signed.

A bit interesting..wasn'y another punter brought in for a tryout in the last two weeks?? I thought I read that...didn't think all that much about it and...
I agree a one game tryout to see how he does. Baugher could end up back on the PSqd..or maybe Miller will return. I would not be surprised with that.

what happened with Miller? Too injury prone? He was AWESOME for quite awhile....got injured....and that was it i guess.....just please don't bring back Ken "sugarfoot" Walters

What an awesome punting thread.

Reminds me of the huge long-snapping thread we had a while back.

At this rate the Pats better dust off Ken Walters uniform.

Hanson is a solid Punter btw. He slipped a little last year but until then his low average the past 5 years was 42.8. Compared to my favorite whipping boy Walter who's high average since 2001 was 38.9. Hanson's career average of 42.9 makes him a below average punter but not at all horrible, 42.9 for team punting last year was 20th out of 32 teams - not great, not a plus, but not a killer either.

http://www.footballdb.com/players/chris-hanson-hansoch01

Does anyone know the reason that Hanson was so awful last season? Was it new shoes, or girl trouble, or too-humid weather?

It's funny; I was about to start a thread this morning that Scott Player had been released by Arizona. He's 37, same as Josh Miller, but he has been consistently good over the years, incl. last season.

http://www.footballdb.com/players/scott-player-playesc01

As I mentioned in the recent Gostkowski thread, I wasn't impressed with Baugher on Friday. His kicks were neither long nor high. I guess BB saw the same things I did. Great minds, indeed, think alike.

In 8 pgs, it hasn't been mentiond that Hansen was Pro-Bowl in '01.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back