Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bauer equates 'stray animals' to people in speech on aid to needy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

This is an interesting example of the sort of lessons that some conservative families pass down from generation to generation.

Bauer equates ‘stray animals' to people in speech on aid to needy | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer drew a comparison to “feeding stray animals” during a speech about people on government assistance, “babies having babies,” and parents whose children are on free and reduced-price lunch.

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better,” Bauer said
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

An excellent example of the phrase "The truth hurts." Democrats love creating dependency classes. They reward people on welfare to have more and more children, thus increasing the dependency on the government and creating a democrat votre for life.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

I suppose I should admire you for admitting to a belief in euthanasia. Stop feeding the poor people so they can't reproduce. I myself stand with those who think there are better and more humane solutions, but history is filled with leaders who believed as you do.
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +442 / 6 / -9

Social Darwinism, the only kind they allow on the right... naturally, the kind that has zero scientific basis...
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would rather you just accurately reflected my beliefs instead of putting words in my mouth. I know you are both intellectually and morally bankrupt, so I guess that is all you have to go with.
    I believe in providing poor citizens with a hand-up, not a hand-out. You want to keep them right where they are so that they are completeley dependant on the government and have to vote for your political party.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Well, you should have stated so in the first place. Your response to the guy's advocacy of euthanasia (where he said that if you don't feed stray animals, they won't make babies) was "the truth hurts." I'm glad you're backtracking, even if you're not willing to take personal responsibility for what you initially said. And try to avoid the personal attacks; they're against the rules. Thanks. And by the way, what do you mean by a "hand up"? Is feeding the poor a hand up?
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

That's not what he said. He's saying that you don't encourage poor people to have kids by giving them money and handouts. More babies = more welfare, even if it doesn't pay for the kids' expenses the poor and ignorant aren't likely to figure that out.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +442 / 6 / -9

Bauer: "He's Not Heavy, He's My Brother"

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +272 / 10 / -26

Very few on this board understand the reality of welfare, and how lush a lifestyle it leads to:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.. have to remember the Prez who did the most recent overhaul of welfare... Bill Clinton..

Have had quite a bit of contact with folks on welfare, most would prefer meaningful work... much of what is presented as argument is in reality just right wing myths..

Very few realize that there is a current 5 year limit of receiving welfare..

Saying thing like prefer to give a hand up to rather than a hand out to, is a trite rightism that in reality means nothing.. I am still waiting for the promises made by Ronnie RayGun to trickle down.. it has been 20+ years and still are waiting.

Welfare Time Limits: State Policies, Implementation, and Effects on Families — Overview

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Certainly no able-bodied/minded person should be allowed to live their entire lives on welfare....wouldn't you agree.

Also, I agree with that most welfare recipients would prefer NOT to be on the dole and would prefer to work. I think mandatory training/classes would benefit them and our society. So let's combine time limits with gov't paid training.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did. But you misinterpreted my remarks, either deliberately or through poor reading abilities. Then you levelled a personal attack against me by putting words in my mouth.
    Maybe you should obey your own rules before trying to enforce them on others.
    Let's just say that creating a never ending cycle of dependency whereby the poor are rewarded for having more and more illegitimate babies is not a "hand up". But it is the DNC party platform.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

I doubt if many people live their entire lives on welfare, especially able-bodied people. The fact is abled bodied people are not eligible for welfare and will ultimately have zero income. The problem with training programs is that it costs more. Actually, Wisconsin, under a fairly liberal Republican governor (was it Tommy Thompson) actually implemented a very costly welfare program designed to get people off the dole. It worked reasonably well, but not perfectly because the former welfare recipients often had the worst jobs, the ones that folded as soon as the economy went south. I think everyone favors programs to help people live more productive lives, but the fact is handouts are cheaper than handouts plus training.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sharon Jasper is being forced to live like a slave in her slum. The government only gives her enough money to afford a 50 inch HDTV, nor a 60 inch one.

[​IMG]
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

Much to do about nothing. The point she makes is certainly valid. As usual the PC police focus on something they can exploit via the dumb down, as opposed to responding to the actual point being made. Generational welfare is a legitimate problem. We have generations of families growing up on, and thus expecting as deserved, a slice of the money someone else worked hard to earn. I see it all the time at work. Subsidies for the able bodied should be limited. They shouldn't be permanent. Only the disabled, or elderly, should get permanent assistance.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

This is not true you get yourself defined as disabled, emotionally whatever, you get your welfare and get your meds on Medicare. My wife works in a Pharm and see folks doing this every. Get your Oxy and go party, people in their 20's and 30's.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +272 / 10 / -26

Did you read the 5 year limits.. yea I agree..

Only on this board, does this parallel universe exist, where these comments can be taken lightly or excused...

In reality they should be minimized as some nut case from SC, and move on..
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

There are certainly people who game the system (and a lot of them are middle class adults who like "party" drugs), but most of these people do not. Some get money to buy drugs by turning to crime, others turn to prostitution, some work, some get money from their families, and others sell everything they have and end up panhandling and living in shelters. The people your wife is meeting are probably working or, if they're paying in cash, getting the money some other way. Then there are the people who are truly mentally ill -- these people are socially nonfunctional. What do you do with a guy who plays with himself when under stress or a woman who collapses in tears when she's under stress? Put them in prison? Put them in hospitals? Or drug them up and give them basic benefits (group homes, social centers, and foodstamps)?
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

You're right PF. As a renter, you'd be absolutely stunned at how many 25-40 years olds, walk into my office with a gubmit disability check. These people are as healthy as you and I. The system is broken people.
  19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

QFT, I liken it to how willing they are to accept an invisible man in the sky destroying the planet at any moment as being a perfectly valid belief, yet the idea that man's own actions could hurt our climate is junk science.
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +272 / 10 / -26

The discussion of permanent disability by the Fed Gov't has long been abused, and needs complete overhaul.. Remember quite well an instance of a girl I knew, who was 18 and could not read.. it was a happy day when she got her disability because she could not read..

This is anecdotal, and not sure if it is a trend or how many people get a disability because of cognitive deficits.. it would have been much better to tell her that this was temporary and she had say a year to find a program to learn how to read.. instead of putting her on SSI which has no controls or time limits..