Welcome to PatsFans.com

Battle of the QB Backups

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by State, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

There's an in-state Michigan flair to it all. Former Spartan, Wolverine battle for Patriots' final QB roster spot

Scout.com: The State of The Backups

How things panned out last year has definitely made the back-up QB position of more importance and even intrigue. Kevin O'Donnell sure looks like a legit player.

As one who has experienced the madness of this rivalry, Mich. State/scUM, it's not odd how the tenuous connection still makes news. It sure doesn't feel "blustery," though.

My prediction: Hoyer beats out Gut, who will be gobbled on the waiver wire.

Detroit views their second draft as fastidiously going through our cast-offs on the waiver wire. For good reason. A LeKevin Smith probably plays for Detroit.
  2. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

who's that? sorry, someone was bound to point that out. :D
  3. PatsChowder

PatsChowder Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't get all the hype about O'Connell at all. Maybe I'm just more conservative, but I would like to see them sign a veteran like Brian Griese to step in as a back up. Belichick cannot turn an inexperienced rookie into an NFL starter overnight every time.
  4. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 4 / -0

Well, he's 2-for-2, and one of them is a future HOFer. Seriously, with this offense as constituted, I think O'Connell might just be fine. The drop-off we saw last year, from one of the all-time great offenses to a very effective offense, might be greater given Cassel had a much easier schedule, but there's enough weapons to keep it an above average offense if O'Connell had to step in. What more do you want from a backup?
  5. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree with the Hoyer part, but doubt that Gute will be picked up on the waiver wire. He was cut last year, if you recall, and received zero interest from other teams.

His best shot at being in the NFL again this year is Brady going down again.
  6. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You don't think a Pats backup becoming a top 10 QB, again, will increase interest in a pats backup qb?

I don't know that he sticks anywhere, but if he gets cut, he gets tryouts elsewhere.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -14

He's done it with Brady and Cassell, thats 2 for 2.
    And he failed with the overrated veteran approach twice with Kosar and Bledsoe.

I am very happy that we want to have the next Brady or Cassell as our backup instead of extending the career of the next Bledose or Kosar (at their late age)
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 52 / -64

Disable Jersey

BB is not 2-for-2, and Rohan Davey and KK can attest to that fact.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.