Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bastogne Soldiers save terrorist's life

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by bmf31c, May 26, 2006.

1. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Press Release
    MULTI-NATIONAL DIVISION - NORTH
    101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
    TIKRIT, IRAQ (FOB SPEICHER)
    APO AE 09363
    May 24, 2006
    Release A060524d
    Bastogne Soldiers save terrorist's life
    KIRKUK, Iraq – Bastogne Soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division saved the life of an insurgent near Kirkuk, Iraq , May 23 after the grenade the insurgent threw exploded on him, causing severe injuries to his lower extremities.

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/Releases/May/060524d.htm

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

To me, the soldiers sound like liberals, saving the life of someone that many right wingers would have wanted in the worst ways to see dead. At any rate, war creates the opportunity for acts of heroism in the form of compassion, and this is a great example. Without Bush or the terrorists, we would not have had this example.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  3. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Way to go patters. No it is what we are trained to do. You kill the enemy when your life is in danger, when they are no longer a danger you do everything to ensure their safety. Against the popular belief of many on this board soldiers aren't cold hearted killers.

Way to show your support for the troops, without bringing the administration into it.

Just proves my point.

4. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

It's not liberalism, it's more proof that the American soldier does not hate the individual enemy.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

Damn, colby, you always read odd things into what I wrote. The fact is there are many liberal elements in the military, and I'm awfully proud of them. Proud of the diversity and tolerance training that bmf31c has written about, proud of the fact that we honor international standards in terms of how we treat the enemy, proud of the many stories about our military helping people get water or get medical care. And I'm proud of those soldiers, not because of what they were trained to do, but because they did it. The fact is, its liberals who brought attention to the need to treat people with respect and dignity -- it's what you guys often call PC in sneering tones.

6. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Its not always what you said it is how you say it or the context in which you said it. I find it offensive that people celebrate the short comings of the military and ignore everything that is good. Not to mention when it is good you politicize it and do your best to find a way to bash the administration. That is what annoys me.

The military does not serve a party, they serve a country!

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

I understand what you are saying about the military, but as I've said before, to oppose the policies of the Bush administration, one must oppose how those policies manifest themselves. The soldiers job is to carry out the orders. The soldier is never to blame (unless the orders are so abhorrent that a soldier should disobey them--as was the case with the Nazis). I mean no disrespect to the soldiers, and I think our military is aworld-class professional military that serves the country, and is in no way a threat to our Constitution. But, our military is a tool of the president, and if he uses it badly it's going to reflect on the military like it or not. But, I think since the Vietnam War, after which everyone treated the veterans badly, including the conservatives, Americans are far more appreciative of what the individual soldier does and, more importantly, what the individual soldier is prepared to do. I may oppose the Iraq war, but I know that our troops protect our nation from possible threats that we all agree on, such as North Korea, Russia, China, and other countries that hate us or are very powerful and ambitious.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WTF idoes that mean?
    When has NK, China or Russia ever even hinted that they are a threat to US?
    Stop talking out of your sphincter and use your head.
    The military is not the same as the soldiers. The military is controlled by the corporations who wield influence through the politicians who don't give a damn for their country. The military is most definitely a threat to the country. That's why the Constitution forbids funding for the military for any period longer than 1 year. They answer to us - not the other way around. I and anyone else should feel free to criticize the military all day long. The thin-skinned soldier wannabe's should grow a set and engage the discussion logically and reasonably.

Our troops wish to protect us from threats, but the military, their corporate lords, and the weapons manufacturers have no such interest. You need to separate the man from the machine.

9. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Just like reading your posts.

10. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Who are you rererring to?

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm referring to anyone who acts "insulted", "appalled", and "outraged" when the military is criticized, as if such criticism is the equivalent of criticizing individual soldiers - especially those who have never seen combat. They pretend to be the target of such criticism. What a bunch of garbage! Hannity, Bush, Rumsfeld, all those candy-a ss draft-dodging pu$$ies.

12. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I have had a few so I will limit my response. It wouldn't be a problem to criticize when it is warranted. But many on this board take it to another level they love to find articles that depict the military in a negative light. That pisses me off especially considering they have never served. You can consider me as one of the people that fits into your description. If I recall correctly you served. I have never seen combat but I volunteered 3 times. It is a hell of a lot more then those that pussied out of serving period who haven't earned sh!t, but enjoy the fruits of the labor of those that did serve.

You can have your opinion, but don't ever tell me to check myself again on something that you have no idea about what you are talking about.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005