PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Basking in the Victory - How did the Pats REALLY play?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How did we REALLY do yesterday?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Do you guys think we scraped up a victory in what should have been a blowout or do you think the Seahawks stood up for the game played better?

While you answer the poll, feel happy about the win. If it's not quite enough to make you ecstatic, watch this video:

Classic Jets Rant - Uppers for the Soul

Last edited:
Re: Basking in the Victory

I think our Defense is making every opposing QB look like Joe Montana.

If our own worst to first in 01 and the Dolphins worst to whatever they end up at is any indication than the old adiage any win in the NFL is a good win is accurate. The Talent in this league is so close (except maybe the Lions and Raiders) that you shouldn't really take much stock into level of opponent in a win.

And especially when you figure if we lost the season was all but over than this was as good a win as any.

I think SOME of the problems when dealing with the Seahawks might also be present when dealing with the Raiders. The Seahawks are a struggling team that is looking for a big win and they had 10 days to game plan against the Pats. They played Thanksgiving day. The Pats had a normal week for game planning plus they had to travel to the west coast.

Staying in the west coast will help some of the time constraints but still the Raiders will have 10 days to game plan for next weeks game.

The Pats are showing some weaknesses and these teams have extra days to practice how they will. I am not trying to make an excuse, I do expect the Pats to beat the Raiders also. I am just saying that an upset is more likely to come after in situations like this.

I think SOME of the problems when dealing with the Seahawks might also be present when dealing with the Raiders. The Seahawks are a struggling team that is looking for a big win and they had 10 days to game plan against the Pats. They played Thanksgiving day. The Pats had a normal week for game planning plus they had to travel to the west coast.

Staying in the west coast will help some of the time constraints but still the Raiders will have 10 days to game plan for next weeks game.

The Pats are showing some weaknesses and these teams have extra days to practice how they will. I am not trying to make an excuse, I do expect the Pats to beat the Raiders also. I am just saying that an upset is more likely to come after in situations like this.

the 10 days is certainly a valid reason. I think in a lot of avenues in life that a few extra days of prep time could close the gap in relatively closely talented instances. I think I could do better work than my boss or more qualified peers given 3 extra days to do the job.

I voted for #3. We started off terrible on D (as someone else pointed out, we looked confused for the first 1/2 and buckled down in the 2nd) and couldn't get much done on O, but the team hung in there, and turned it around late in the game. We came from behind to win in the 4th quarter after losing 3 defensive starters early in the game (and having Vrabel go down momentarily). A win is a win is a win. I think each game is going to be a rollercoaster for the rest of the season, but who knows? The Giants squeaked in last year and got hot. Maybe that can happen to us.

Traveling to the west coast and winning is never an easy thing. Look at the poor San Diego performance. Heck, look at what SF did to NY yesterday. Even the Pats' victory in SF was aided by some lousy 2nd-half Mike Martz playcalling. It doesn't matter what the home teams' records are; They are never an easy out.

I enjoyed the victory yesterday...immensely. It was an entertaining game with a thrilling finish. But a lot of the entertainment comes from my strong belief that this team is fatally flawed against the January competition so I've resigned myself to enjoy the victories no matter who they come against. I'm not going to bang my head worrying about how the Pats will do in January if they can barely squeak one out against 2-11 Seattle. This isn't the 2003, 2004, 2006 or 2007 Pats. Making the playoffs will be an achievement worthy of applause. Any advancement in January would be gravy.

To answer the question: These Pats played well yesterday.

Regards,
Chris

They came in flat because of injuries and probably the tough loss to the Steelers. They played like crap, but they made the adjustments especially on defense and came through in the end. If Manning and the Colts can have their rumps swabbed for playing like crap for 3 1/2 quarters vs. the Texans and Browns and then come through in the end, the Pats deserve the same rump swabbing for this win.

Something I feel strongly about: Good teams manage to win even when they don't play particularly well.
It seemed they had a few chances to put the game away and could'nt do it.
But, they stayed focused and composed, and did what they needed to do when they needed to do it.
No such thing as an ugly win, get used to more of the same.
I think they showed guts in a hostile environment, the same type of environment they would see should they make the playoffs.

The Patriots inspired Branch to play better than he's played since they got him. He was out of his mind and almost earned that first round draft pick they gave for him.
His catch and run and td catch were sick, but still, we prevailed.

I voted option 2, suspecting this might be carryover from last year's give-the-Pats-our-best-game phenomenon.

They came in flat because of injuries and probably the tough loss to the Steelers. They played like crap, but they made the adjustments especially on defense and came through in the end. If Manning and the Colts can have their rumps swabbed for playing like crap for 3 1/2 quarters vs. the Texans and Browns and then come through in the end, the Pats deserve the same rump swabbing for this win.

Indeed. Sure, the defense made Seneca Wallace look like a sure-fire Hall of Famer but they buckled down in the second half BIG TIME. I was actually impressed. This is a win for us and I'm happy for it. I'm not going to get totally down on the team like some people have because I see the massive list of injuries to key positions we have on both offense and defense (but ESPECIALLY on D) and think that we should be 5-8 right now instead of 8-5. This may just be Belichick's finest coaching job ever... well, everything considered.

i think the hasselback deactivation threw a curveball at the pats and they seemed a little out of sorts in the first half. had hasselback played i tend to think we wouldve played better at the start.

This team won't win with style points. But as long as they win, I'm happy.

I enjoyed the victory yesterday...immensely.

Interesting choice of words here ... I too enjoyed the "victory" immensely, but the "game" on the other hand, was a terrible experience. I did not enjoy watching most of it, seeing the same mistakes pop up over and over as they have all season.

It wasn't until the final drive when I had a feeling the Pats would pull it out with a gutty drive that I really started to enjoy it.

Interesting choice of words here ... I too enjoyed the "victory" immensely, but the "game" on the other hand, was a terrible experience. I did not enjoy watching most of it, seeing the same mistakes pop up over and over as they have all season.

It wasn't until the final drive when I had a feeling the Pats would pull it out with a gutty drive that I really started to enjoy it.
This is what I mean by the team being fatally flawed come January so try and enjoy the victories, no matter how small over no matter how weak the opponent. One of the flaws this team has is that it does make repeated mistakes. It's one thing to hope that the team can clean this up come January, but it's another to expect it. The team hasn't put together a string of 3 clean games all season with a weak schedule and there are people on this board who expect it to happen in January against the likes of Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy and the NFC winner? Please. Of course it could happen, but it's a longshot. A very longshot.

The Pats have won 3 Super Bowls out of 42. That doesn't mean there's nothing to enjoy in the 39 years they didn't win the whole thing. Enjoy yesterday's razor-thin win over 2-11 Seattle. It was a fun win. Don't worry too much about the measuring stick factor of where the Pats stand. If you haven't accepted the fact that this team is a low odds title contender by now, you're more than likely going to get sick in the coming month(s).

Regards,
Chris

I'm enjoying this season. Any January game(s) is an unexpected bonus. Look how many PREMIER stahtiz are on IR or out.

Yesterday's game was a classic BB coached game. Loved it.

Last edited:
I would like to see the Depth Chart in early Sept. and how it has evolved to where we are now.. we have lost a ton of D players.. starting with Tank Williams the list has gone on and on, replacement players are now getting hurt.. we are on the third tier in some of these positions.

Love the term "rump swabbing",......hilarious.....But in all honesty, you know the media (especially ESPN). They are NEVER going to give the Pats any props man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots