PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baseball interferes with football again

The issue isn't even a same-day conflict. The baseball game is on Saturday. But apparently it requires around 24 hours to change the stadium from baseball to football.

So what it comes down to is baseball being unwilling to move its game up a few hours on Saturday, I assume because of ratings. Though swapping it with the Red Sox game, seems like it would help the ratings of the Red Sox game (at the expense of the West coast ratings of the A's game?)

Then again, the only people who might get "screwed" with this accommodation are Raiders and Chargers fans who live on the East coast, and who won't be able to (or want to) stay up until 3 AM to see the end result.

In short, not much skin off of not many backs.

I'm okay with this - it's what baseball SHOULD have done to accommodate the NFL for opening night. The NFL looks like the "bigger man" here.
Its written into the stadium contract that a's playoff games take priority

Re: Moneyball...

isn't Raiders attendance near the bottom of the NFL?
Eh chico, I appreciate your "baseball tradition" angle and all but it was a facetious, playful joke.

As for Bay Area ball, wasn't it one-time SF Giant Bobby Murcer who once said (when speaking about where SLA fugitive Patty Hurst was holed up) that they "should check the upper deck in Candlestick Park?" ; )

Then again, the only people who might get "screwed" with this accommodation are Raiders and Chargers fans who live on the East coast

Those fans were "screwed" long before the time change for this game.... ;)

Football ... in Oakland ... at midnight. It's realistic to suspect that some people actually will lose their lives because of this. MLB should be preparing itself for wrongful death lawsuits.

Re: Moneyball...

Oakland P.A. Announcer:"Today's attendance..... 537 .....the A's thank you, the #1 fans in all of baseball!......fans attending today's game are asked to please use the ramps for quick exit at the conclusion of today's game to allow fans waiting to attend the Raiders-Charger game the opportunity to access their seats....thank you and have a safe and pleasant afternoon...."

109238861BM_Royals_Athletics0025-575x387.jpg

Hard to believe given the attendance (though it's far from as bad as the sarcastic pic presents - as funny as it is) but, by action, the commissioner of Baseball is saying to the A's "you have to stay at that empty dump". And the Coliseum is friggin dump (No joke, they have been getting sewage backups in the clubhouses....gonna be hilarious if this happens in game during the playoffs/series). Add to that the very immediate surrounding area is not supportive of baseball to a high degree (the A's winning/being on top doesn't actually swing the numbers to a degree that winning normally would. Many of the fans that do come are from further away than the very immediate area). I'm all for these expensive stadiums having every dollar wrung out of them but the Coliseum is wayyyyyy past that.

The commissioner of MLB makes Goodell look like the best executive in corporate America (though I don't think MLB should be the ones moving playoffs)

It's actually kind of cool that for maybe the first time ever, the West Coast fans of two west coast teams will get to see them play in prime time.

We take it for granted, but in CA it is odd watching "afternoon games" at 10 AM and "night games" at 5:30 PM.

Plus I could care much less about Oakland vs. San Diego (though SD looks somewhat improved so far)

slightly ot but, anyone else annoyed baseball teams pop champaign and party after winning a mere playoff spot? I'm a rays fan since the devil rays days and last night was huge finally beating texas but Champaign and hats and t shirts? yall won nothing yet. and the sox with "we own the east" shirts, you've been a joke for years and now you claim to own the east, really? bruins didn't celebrate at all after winning the eastern conference. took one picture and didn't touch the trophy and it was business as usual. anyways rant over.

What's the most boring sport?

slightly ot but, anyone else annoyed baseball teams pop champaign and party after winning a mere playoff spot? I'm a rays fan since the devil rays days and last night was huge finally beating texas but Champaign and hats and t shirts? yall won nothing yet. and the sox with "we own the east" shirts, you've been a joke for years and now you claim to own the east, really? bruins didn't celebrate at all after winning the eastern conference. took one picture and didn't touch the trophy and it was business as usual. anyways rant over.

The Sox have won two titles in the last nine years, and are poised to make a run at at a third, so I wouldn't exactly say they're a joke.

Regarding the champagne thing, there are 162 games in a season, and up until 1994, only two teams made the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a pretty big reason to celebrate because, unlike football, bad teams don't get in. Ever.

Honestly, I don't get the boner that a lot of posters here have for baseball hate. Don't watch it.

I don't think the celebration is the same (no champagne, I don't think?), but doesn't Belichick actually refer to "hat and t-shirt games"?

I don't think the celebration is the same (no champagne, I don't think?), but doesn't Belichick actually refer to "hat and t-shirt games"?

I remember Tedy talking about trying not to lose "on free hat a t-shirt day."

Jeez, act like you've been there before, fellas!

I love baseballl!!!!!!!!!

:sleep:

Soccer, followed closely by baseball. Both are great non-medical alternatives for insomnia.

Firstly soccer isn't boring.

Secondly, there are tonnes of sports more boring than baseball, Cricket is just a longer baseball, any form of car racing, snooker, darts,

Yeah, all the Bruins did for years was hang their Adams Division championship banners up in the Garden rafters next to the Celtics' World Championship banners. Nothing ever looked cheaper than that. It was beyond embarrassing.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back