PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barwin Visiting on Sunday Night: Interest or Smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, there's a middle ground between "this means they're serious" and "smokescreen." I assume that one of the purposes of individual workouts is to answer lingering questions about prospects.

I would assume the visits are to ascertain three things:

1) How important is football to this player? Does he want to be great?
2) Can he grasp our scheme? If I draw out a defense on the greaseboard, will he remember it in an hour and be able to tell me how the parts move?
3) Is he taking this job interview seriously, or does he keep checking text messages, letting his mind wander, or fiddling with his track suit and bling?

Last edited:
The better question to ponder is "What position do the Patriots feel is Barwin PRIMARY to them" because that's what will determine his value to them and his placement on the their board.

For ex: If they see him as the #3 TE he will be marked as such with a note of possible OLB. But they will draft him as a TE.
Or if he's rated as a #2 OLB he will be marked as such with a side note about possible TE. But they will draft him as an OLB.

It makes a difference how the Patriots see him position wise not how the Fans or media see him.

I believe the fans here are assuming the Patriots see him as a OLB but so far that in not factual.

Just a thought.

I believe the fans here are assuming the Patriots see him as a OLB but so far that in not factual.

Just a thought.

Well, if they see him as a TE, they're probably wasting their time evaluating him. I don't think you could justify spending a first day pick on another TE who hasn't had that much production at the position, and he'll be gone top 50 picks as an OLB.

Last edited:
Well, if they see him as a TE, they're probably wasting their time evaluating him. I don't think you could justify spending a first day pick on another TE who hasn't had that much production at the position, and he'll be gone top 50 picks as an OLB.

Not really Dryheat, But I see what your saying. (Your Concern)
Barwin is an interesting prospect in this draft because whatever position of the 3 a team is drafting him mostly on potential. He's raw as a TE and DE and has never played OLB or in a 3-4.

I could tell you for a fact he is all over the board to alot of teams. I still believe a 4-3 team will draft him as a DE if he's picked in round 1. Just because there are better OLB's in this draft than him at that position. He has a better chance to start his first year as a DE (even if it's situational) than he does at TE or OLB.

The Patriots are looking at TE in this draft so it wouldn't suprise me if they drafted Barwin as such to be honest.

I just think people are trying to put Connor in a box position wise and he's a talented athlete who is very raw.

The Pats are going to bring this kid in to see how good he is in the film room. He's thinks alittle bit high of himself and believes in his abilities. They will more than likely work him out again at TE and take him into the film room to study the Defensive prospective before they work him out at OLB. (If they work him out at LBer).

Last edited:
I'm with pc and it sounds like very promising news to me. They're obviously seriously looking at the boy, hoping to nail down their draft strategy and seeing just how much that'll include him. Plus BB will do what he must just to appease us, as we know:D

For real, it's just good news imo,and throwing in Pioli...I can't wait for this draft. I'm negative on the smokescreen idea; it's well-known BB's interested in Barwin(among others) so would he go to lengths just to reinforce that knowledge? Nah.

Probably just to placate the masses at patsfans.com :)

I really don't think the Pats give a damn about the opinions at some internet messageboard.

I would expect the Patriots to be interested in his athleticism combined with excellent production in his one year at the position; I don't expect them to take him at #23 though. #34 - if he's still there - maybe.

I expect the Pats to be taking a hard look at this guy. With only 30 viisit limitation, they are not going to waste those visits frivilously.

It may be your opinion that they won't take him at 23, but the Pats have shown they don't give a damn about whether they are considered to be 'reaching' for a guy according to draft sites, when their own draft board has a guy rated high, that's where they take him. I could cite Mayo, Branch, etc. But there are too many examples that it makes my point for me quite easily.

Okay...

• the Patriots scouted Barwin at the Senior Bowl
  • the Patriots scouted Barwin at the combine
  • the Patriots held a private workout with Barwin
  • the Patriots are bringing Barwin in for a pre-draft visit
    [/LIST

I think it's safe to assume the Pats' interest in Barwin is legitimate.

Pretty much every past Belichick 1st round pick has come in for a pre-draft visit (Mayo, Meriweather, Maroney, Mankins, Wilfork, and so on).

There may be smoke-screens in the top 10, but at 23, I highly doubt it. After all, teams only get up to 30 of these visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes