PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barstoolsports: 10 reasons why Pats get 2 1s for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Barstool Sports: 10 Reasons the Patriots Can, Should and WILL Get Two 1st Round Draft Picks for Matt Cassel

10 Reasons the Patriots Can, Should and WILL Get Two 1st Round Draft Picks for Matt Cassel
by Jerry Thornton ([email protected])

Now that the NFL season is finally over, we can start to look at the only thing that's been on Bill Belichick's mind since the moment the final gun sounded in Week 17. And that's how to hook the jumper cables up to the Patriots dynasty and retake their rightful place at the top of the football world. For that, I'm going to presuppose two things:
1. Tom Brady will be healthy. And
2. They'll franchise Matt Cassel and trade him.

good read especially reason # 8

The only part I would have to disagree with is the idea of Denver parting ways with Jay Cutler in order to land Cassel. I doubt Denver's FO is saying to themselves right now "We'd be much better off with Cassel than with Jay Cutler AND 2 first round picks."

I stole part of #10 for my sig. I literally laughed out loud when I read it.

I love this part...

the last time the Pats missed the playoffs... when Belichick had a jump on the competition so to speak... was after the 2002 season. Here's what he did that year: Drafted Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel, Dan Koppen, and Tully Banta-Cain. Traded Tebucky Jones for a 2nd Rounder in 2004 (Corey Dillon) and traded for a another '04 No. 1 (Vince Wilfork). He also signed Rosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington, Tyrone Poole and Don Davis. Oh, and they went 14-2 each of the next two years and won both Super Bowls. The bottom line is you don't outsmart Belichick when he's got extra time to prepare.

could someone copy and paste the info in the link. My work wont let me open the page! Thanks

could someone copy and paste the info in the link. My work wont let me open the page! Thanks

Same here! When it finally DID load there were all these pics and ads that lay on top of most of the article. I didn't see anyplace to click to get rid of them either :(

Same here! When it finally DID load there were all these pics and ads that lay on top of most of the article. I didn't see anyplace to click to get rid of them either :(

Same here, it sucks

Just a warning to those accessing this from work the site would be considered not safe for work.

With Tom back and all these high draft picks.....I have a feeling we are gonna be ballin next season.

With Tom back and all these high draft picks.....I have a feeling we are gonna be ballin next season.

I would have to agree with you my friend. Where was this article when I was defending the positions to trade Cassel would be good for us:rolleyes:. Great read and well thought out and I like #9 the best myself.

Bottom line is we have a successful QB who have at least 10 team interested so we are sitting pretty. Why pay a top 5 pick QB big bucks when you can get a young QB going into his prime for the same or less money but has starts under his belt. Two firsts is a good start.....and yes I am greedy and BB is too.

maybe a 1 and 3 not two 1's

sorry wont happen

They are going to have a ton of draft picks. If they want to, the Pats can get anybody they want in the draft. Anybody they sign in FA is a bonus. I think this offseason will be the best offseason since '03.

maybe a 1 and 3 not two 1's

sorry wont happen

Have to agree... IF we got two #1s for Cassel, that would be brilliant. I understand the concept of a bidding war, but there are limits. To be honest, a #1 and a #3 would be more than fair - and I have to think it's more realistic.

But... there are some CRAZY GMs out there !
(1) You paid how much for Jamarcus Russell ?!&!&?!
(2) You're drafting ANOTHER wr ?
(3) Williams for a #1 and a #3 ?

Hahahaha !

Last edited:
I've always believed we could get a #1 and a #3 for Matt, but this article is very convincing. Maybe, just maybe we could get a couple of #1's?

If we got two #1's it would be the exact opposite feeling from our Superbowl or Brady's hit

Great article! It pretty much made my day.

2 #1's wont happen, and get it out of your head. You never know, crazy **** happens but the Patriots would be absolutely bending a team backwards in that scenario. I think it'd be understandable giving up this years first for a proven guy, but the next 2 years? Hell, a 1st and 2nd is more likely and it's even still a long shot. We'll see, we never know whats going on with the NFL.

But I do find that part he said about the extra time in the offseason intriguing, it raises a fair point. Since 2003, the quickest this team went to the offseason has been in the divisional round. They've had a a whole extra month to scout future FA's, prospects, etc. Giving a guy like Bill a minute extra is bad enough, it'll be interesting to see if an an extra month will breed the same success it did before. I'm not expecting 2x 14-2 champs, but at least one title would be nice :D

A well done article which touches on a theme I wrote a thread about last month - the 'success' rate (took their team to the playoffs at least once) of 1st QB's is barely 60%, the ones that become stars is about equal to those that bombed completely 33%!!! This is for the last 15 years.

So, for teams insistent on drafting a 1st round QB, it takes most teams two 1st rounders to hit on a winner. You can get Cassel for lower pick value - a 1 and 3 would do it I believe - and less money than a top ten would cost (plus, you could sign Cassel to a shorter deal) all the while getting a much more known commodity. Of course this is the kind of logic GM's specialize in ignoring.

I think the Pats will blink first in these trade talks because there's no way they really want both Cassel and Brady under the cap at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing