Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barry, you're doing a heckuva job

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, May 25, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd say that the BP oil spill is Obama's Katrina, except for the fact that the federal government's ineptness regarding this spill makes the Katrina response look brilliant by comparison.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

not even comparable
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree. Things were much more organized back then. Here we are over a month in and the government hasn't done a darn thing to solve the problem.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

President Jug Ears is going on vacation, he's gonna
    "clear brush" in Chicago..
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

I'd say this is dumb, even by your standards.
  6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

People died during Katrina as a result of the lack of government response. But it's cool that Republicans now think that animals are as important as people so we can get started on solving all the environmental problems leading to species extinctions in a non-partisan way. Right? Right?
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm totally against the lack of movement by the administration on this...I think they are MORE than dropping the ball on this. I'll agree with you there.

BUsh was eating cake with McCain while people were drowning...houses flooded, and the response was fully botched. They were aware of the sitation with the levees DAYS before, you can actually watch the conference call, Bush shruggs it off.

This would be like Katrina happening on the Moon with the remoteness of this disater. There are only a handfull of subs that can get there, let alone stop this...so quit with the hyperbole for a second.

time is running out on patience, the gulf is pretty much destroyed for decades, untold marine and wildlife are now dead...and

BP is still in charge?

I do Shame Obama for that.....

BARACK!.....Step it the fukc UP!
  8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nuke gushing oil wells, not people.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

For those criticizing Obama, it's incumbent on you to make actual, concrete suggestions on what he could be doing differently.

The fact is there is nothing Obama or the government can do.
  10. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As one of your compatriots has suggested...
    What if that is the only option. Last I checked, corporations were not allowed to "Nuke things".

What about the open defiance WRT the dispersant they are using.

What about shutting off the live feed when they implement "Top Kill" tomorrow, also against what the government wants.

There are a number of reasons why the government needs to step in. Not being able to do anything is not an answer, it's an excuse. We need to people to lead, not make excuses or will Obama bow to the oil gusher as well.
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oh there's one thing they can do going forward. The next time some babbling idiot screams "Drill baby, DRILL!!" They could tell her to shut the fcuk up.
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I agree. It's pretty clear that big business can't solve this problem by itself. It's time for a heavy dose of government intervention.
  13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

NPR just reported that BP had scaled back the use of the toxic dispersant (no number provided) and that the reason that BP is not using less toxic dispersants is because there are no less toxic dispersants available in the quantity required. FWIW.
  14. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oh well then, crisis averted...

Never mind the lesser dispersants are warehoused and not being used for "lack of testing".

Sorry to sound like an ass, it's just this entire fiasco is making me mental.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Bring people from other states with expertise in dealing with the effects of oil spills, Alaska for example.

Get resources from other companies, Exxon, Gulf, Mobile and so on.

Respond to request to allow states to protect their shores and marshes. B Jindal has been seeking permission for 3 WEEKS to build sand berms to protect the marshes in the Mississippi delta. NO RESPONSE FROM THE ADMINISTRATION.

The President who wants to take over the healthcare system, banking system and auto manufacturing, already has the authority to deal with this disaster:

Mark Levin

BTW the response to the flooding in places like nashville where there were deaths was a disgrace, noting from his media trolls of course. Perhaps he doesn't consider Tenn, or LA among the 57 states he visited during the campaign.
  16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Aren't you a small government guy? A government smaller than today's would be even less prepared to get involved. My head is spinning with how fast you guys have done a 180 (not really, it's just like the "get your government hands off my medicare" guy, but you get the point).
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

As per the administration, this has already been done.

You're aware that the Army Corps of Engineers is not the Obama administration, are you not?

Perhaps they actually, truly believe that building giant sandcastles in the path of the oil is not going to accomplish anything.

Hasn't the government already been doing pretty much what you stipulated?

But hey, at least you can thank the GOP for blocking efforts to raise BP's liability cap.

This is a flat-out lie. The government response in Tennessee was very well executed, as the Governor himself attested.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

I'm concerned about this as well. It's like we're doing a massive science experiment in the Gulf of Mexico and the results could be even more devastating than the spill itself has been or will be so far.

Just so everyone knows, it took them 10 months to stop the Ixtoc 1 spill in 1979, and that was in 160 feet of water.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Well Obama decidedly isn't a small government guy and he is not doing a thing about a problem he is actually supposed to be dealing with.
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Proof? Have seen nothing

You appear to not be aware that Barry is Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces notice the ARMY Corp of Engineers is part of the ARMED FORCES.

Epic Fail Jack.

Perhaps they actually, truly believe that building giant sandcastles in the path of the oil is not going to accomplish anything.

I am more interested in fix in the problem than spinning and pointing fingers like you dems.

This is a flat-out lie. The government response in Tennessee was very well executed, as the Governor himself attested.[/QUOTE]