PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barry Gardner

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I don't think I'm duplicating another thread, so thought some reflections on Barry Gardner might be interesting. Especially since it seems that he is seeing some significant opportunities at the moment to show if he can work his way toward the top of the ILB depth chart. Might mean that it's just his 'turn in the barrel' - or there may be a hint that he has been showing that he is one of the candidates at this point to move up the depth chart.

Mike Reiss had a somewhat interesting observation from Gardner in his Pieces this morning. I think it may be the first time I've ever heard anyone, player or media pundit, say that the defensive system is not particulary complicated - just very disciplined. Certainly comments have often been made about how important discipline and sticking with assignments is in Belichick's system, but not in lieu of complex. Fun.

Segment titled "Day 14 Wrap"
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

"* Gardner on the team's defensive system: "I wouldn't say it’s complicated, it’s a very discipline-oritented system. That’s not to say others aren't disciplined, but this is a very disciplined system and you have to understand your fit, your coverage and you have to understand where everyone else fits. And especially being the MLB, you’ve got to understand all the calls, all the checks, you’ve got to understand everything that's going on so you have to be very disciplined in what you're doing out there."

I wonder how he feels about the importance of discipline in this system. I really wish he would have touched on that a little bit.

Huskeralk,you crack me up.....

I hope Gardner's the guy. Quite honestly, he's got a great opportunity by default at ILB.

I agree that the complexity of our system is greatly overrated. NFL vets are familiar with many systems. You don't need to be stephen Hawking.

You do need to resist the temtation, especially if you've played in different systems, to pursue the play.

You have to learn to control your area and resist the temptation to "make the play" even when you could if it means leaving your responsibility area for a split second.

Then once you have learned to stay within yourself, you need to learn judgement and "make plays" while communicating and covering your ass.

Guys like Bruschi and Rodney make big plays because they know the system so well that they can break out of the pattern when they see something develop and communicate quick enough to cover their asses if they miss the tackle/interception.

When other players try to do this they get burned/cut, because they are not disciplined enough to graduate to the play making level.

Of course this is speculation on my part as I have as much football training as William Hung has voice training.

BTW, I think this is the genesis of BB's comments to TBC the other day.

I'm sure you tend to get very mechanical in this system, worrying about making mistakes.

When he praised TBC for trying to cover someone's man when somebody really blew coverage he was saying, "you know the system, you can have a little more rope, that was a good judgement just relax and play".

If Gardner doesn't think the system is complicated, either he doesn't understand it or he is much brighter than McGinist, law and the rest who have had considered this system so hard to pick up.

mgteich said:
If Gardner doesn't think the system is complicated, either he doesn't understand it or he is much brighter than McGinist, law and the rest who have had considered this system so hard to pick up.

Well, McGinest went to the Browns and Law to the Chiefs so I think it's safe to say that they're both just a few clowns short of a circus.

RayClay said:
BTW, I think this is the genesis of BB's comments to TBC the other day.....When he praised TBC for trying to cover someone's man when somebody really blew coverage he was saying, "you know the system, you can have a little more rope, that was a good judgement just relax and play".
I think the questioner was thinking that TBC had not covered the player all that well when in fact, it was other players that blew assignments and it was TBC that sawthat and the fact that he was open and ran to cover him. Quite a bit different....

Pats726 said:
I think the questioner was thinking that TBC had not covered the player all that well when in fact, it was other players that blew assignments and it was TBC that sawthat and the fact that he was open and ran to cover him. Quite a bit different....

The system is based on staying with your area of responsibility. but things break down and I think he was just saying he trusted TBC to decide when it was necessary to try to cover for someone else's mistake.

I don't think BB really cares what the questioner thinks, he cares that his players develop judgement and he reinforces that.

I agree with RayClay, I think Gardner should have used responsibility oriented as opposed to discipline oriented. And BB says it all the time. Each man is responsible for their job, he makes them accountable for their responbsibilities, not just to him and the other coaches, but to the other 10 men on the field. It's about reading, recognizing and being responsible.

mgteich said:

I'm trying to figure out how the defense requires so much discipline to know where everyone is and what they are doing ... but it's not that complicated.

Perhaps if the number of options other people have are very few in number, it might be not that complicated.

Y'all forget that Gardner went to a good academic school, Northwestern, that also happens to play football. He is a seven year vet, and was a second round pick that has seen at least three other NFL defensive systems.

He was a walk-on, showing grit and determination, completed his degree and was an Academic-All American as well as a All Big Ten Academic All-American.

In short, the guy is NO DUMMY!

Understanding both his assignements, and even knowing that he had to understand and know others, is a great first step, to success in a BB Defense. He apparently does understand the D, and his place with in it.

Its not at all unreasonable with his background, to feel that way. He already is in the process of "getting it".

Are you really surprised that BB/SP went out and signed him?

Although it's complicated and requires discipline, you still have to shed blocks and hit people.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
I hope Gardner's the guy. Quite honestly, he's got a great opportunity by default at ILB.

I agree that the complexity of our system is greatly overrated. NFL vets are familiar with many systems. You don't need to be stephen Hawking.

Maybe I have a sick sense of humor, but imagining that little Stephen Hawking in his electric wheel chair calling out defensive adjustments in that sythesized voice thing makes me laugh.

RayClay said:
Although it's complicated and requires discipline, you still have to shed blocks and hit people.

Stephen Hawking might get it, but he wouldn't "get it".:D

Understanding the Defense and being able to play are two different things. The Coaches certainly understand it, but I know BB couldn't play MLB.

That wasn't the question. The question was how could this newcomer understand and not think it was complicated. It just needed extreme discipline to just stay home and do your own job...

Maybe Gardner isn't Stephen Hawking but he isn't Larry, Moe or Curly either.

AzPatsFan said:
Understanding the Defense and being able to play are two different things. The Coaches certainly understand it, but I know BB couldn't play MLB.

That wasn't the question. The question was how could this newcomer understand and not think it was complicated. It just needed extreme discipline to just stay home and do your own job...

Maybe Gardner isn't Stephen Hawking but he isn't Larry, Moe or Curly either.

In many defenses your instinct is to "make the play".

In BB's defense you need to maintain discipline and let the play come to you. It can become complicated, but not this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back