Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barney Frank Accused of Fannie Mae Conflict of Interest

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 3, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

When this one is over perhaps Barney Frank will be finding religion in a federal pen. FOXNews.com - Lawmaker Accused of Fannie Mae Conflict of Interest - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Now on the surface that does not seem to bad ... when you're in government lots of this stuff happens ... not that it's right.

Things that make you go hmmmm ... :rolleyes:

Now comes the kicker ... the red meat as they say.
    Placed earlier in the story it has more relevancy at the end.
    sounds like a relationship of convenience ... sems like Frank was used ... would not be the 1st time that Barney's sex life led to bad decisions would it? Moses left Barney 2 months after leaving Fannie Mae ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As Barney himself stated:
  2. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

not the first time Barney has gotten into trouble over innappropriate use of the Fannie.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Actually, that's pretty funny!

I hope he get's thrown out of office. I can't stand the way this guy has lobbied for bailout after bailout of every conceiveable aspect of our economy over the last 12 months. I can't stand him anymore.

Even if he get's off, I think there's a good chance he won't get re-elected.

Screw Barney!:mad:
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Do you really think that this year, a Republican has a change of defeating a Democrat in Massachusetts, especially Barney Frank in that district??????
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I like Barnie Frank a lot. I don't always agree with his stances, and I don't like the conflict if interest, but I've met him and he's a funny guy who always speaks his mind.

For a guy whose personal life has been raked over the coals so many times (even in this thread) I think he's in a position to criticize Palin's dubious "family values" that the right loves to brag about so much.

As far as the conflict of interest goes, last I checked that's not enough to land you in prison, you have to actually commit a crime, though I think the Republicans are working on changing that.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Barney's not sleeping as well as he has been used to these days, methinks.

He may be a swell all-around guy, but he doesn't understand banking or mortgages or credit or anything to do with the economy -- but the dangerous part is that he thinks does.

:wha:

Hasta la vista, Barney....

//
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

You like him as a person or his political history? One has nothing to do with the other. I can not and will not accept his continued support of every conceiveable economic bailout under the sun. It is not the governments job to manipulate our economy. He has obviously forgetten that.

He has supported and is currently supporting a bill to appropriate additional funds to bail out home owners in danger of foreclosure. He also co-sponsored a bill to do the same thing back in April. That is unacceptable in any form. He actually believes government spending can stop the real estate decline. I hate to disappoint you Wildo, but that is not the sign of an intelligent man.

I am a moderate democrat who lives in Barny's district and I will never vote for him again.

Just watch in the coming months as Mr Frank supports any and every government spending program to dig us out of our economic troubles. That is not what a responsible reprentative should be doing when facing record federal deficits. You don't continually throw money at the economy when signs of recession are visible. Has he ever considered that maybe we NEED a recession to straighten out our mess? It requires ZERO government spending...Gee, what a concept?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I like both. I'm not sure what "every bailout under the sun" means, but he's willing to speak his mind on every issue which is a personal quality that does translate into actual policies. I'm not going to get into an argument with you about government spending stopping real estate decline but A) that is a mischaracterization and oversimplification and B) there are numerous economists that are far more intelligent than you or I that would agree. It actually is the goverernment's job to manipulate the economy, the question is to what degree. Given that we are in this mess because people bought into your mantra pf deregulation, I'd much rather have a congressman who wants to bailout the homeowner facing foreclosure than the wall street banker. I'm sorry you feel otherwise, but your religious adherence to all things free market consistently fails every time it is adhered to.

He's calso urrently pushing hard for marijuana decriminalization, which is an unpopular position for a politician to take and he's done a tremendous amount for the LGBT community and minorities. Again, I don't agree with everything he's done, but as far as most congressmen go he's a breath of fresh air.

Like it or not Frank is getting re-elected with or without your "moderate" vote. I happen to like it.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

People wouldn't "rake" if there was nothing to "rake", Creepy Barney has given them plenty to "rake with"

O'Reilly did a job on him, right to his face.

:eek:
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Starting to look like the Fannie may have the last word on the Barney.

Stay tuned. Sure to be more to come.

//
  11. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

If someone can post the video of that O'Rielly interview with Frank, that is something to see. I'll give Frank credit for going on and not crying like a baby.

I won't give him credit for acknowledging that he had a hand in this and apologizing like Cox did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAuOEdttjZQ
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Like it or not, Barney Boy will be defeated in the next election year. What on earth makes you think he is so loved?

I'd have to agree with the decriminalization of marijuana though.

Your statement in bold above is blatantly wrong. The VAST majority of all economist believe nothing can stop the real estate decline except continued relaxed lending standards...and that aint gonna happen.

When I told you that it is not the governments job to control the direction of our economy, I wasn't giving you an opinion, I am stating fact Wildo. It is a fact if we are to live in a capitalist society with free-market rules (one can not exist without the other), then we MUST allow for booms & recessions. Of course there has to be some regulation in certain industries, but you aren't talking about regulation here...you're talking about government spending that attempts to stimulate the economy.

Our government can never again apply a policy that "creates" booms or one that attempts to avoid recession. I may not be the most knowledgeable economist, but I am an economist. It's what I do for a living.

Here's some facts for you to chew on;

1. Recessions are necessary and good for a capitalist economic system.
    2. The reason we are in the mess we find ourselves in is definately NOT due to a lack of regulation, but due to government interference in creating the real estate/consumer spending bubble.
    3. No matter what bills Mr Frank proposes to prevent further deflation of home values, they will continue to decline no matter what
    4. The reason things are going to get much worse for our economy over the next couple of years will be due to the $700 billion rescue deal
    5. In fact, over 400 of America's BEST economist did NOT support this bill

Real estate will continue to decline for the simple reason it's still too expensive or over-valued and I can prove that very easily. So please tell us why this country should spend more money to bail out home owners.

I will bet you that Frank attempts to lead congress to pass several more bills or economic stimulus packages over the next 12-24 months. If you support him on that, then you don't have a clue. Just as it is commonly accepted theory that FDR's Works Progress Administration and all the money spent to stop the depression actually prolonged it's duration.

Do you care about the money supply or the devaluation of our currency? Do you care about reckless deficit spending by our federal government?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

I wish O'Reilly yelled a little less and just stuck to the facts because mr Frank has made a lot of irrational decisions over the past 2-3 years. All the man wants to do is spend our way out of economic difficulty and O'Reilly could have embaressed him more by just listing the facts.

I hope we see many more in the media attacking Frank and calling him out on his recent gluttony for fame & power. Frank doesn't realize he's not a banking or economic expert even though he pretends to be on national television.:rolleyes:
  14. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree. Instead of losing his temper he could have just played the clip again and let Barney watch it. Then say, "are you still saying you didn't say that?" Let him squirm on his own words.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Once a month or so I agree with you-----:p
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Is that better than "even a broken watch is right twice a day" or worse?:confused:
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Or, as Barney likes to say: "I got suckered" (re: David Gobie, Frank's live-in call boy ring leader; of course Barney "knew nothing about it"...)

//
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

So I guess meeting someone in person, and thinking they're funny, is reason enough to keep their criminal arse in office.

We get what we deserve I tell ya!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Criminal arse?

no, that was just an aside, I cited other examples as to why I think he should be in office. Keep fishing..:rolleyes:
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I took a picture with Paul Cellucci once. I think he should run for president. Afterall, he smiled and shook my hand!

What's funny is how King George is rolled over the coals for his mishaps, yet, Frank gets an atta'boy for being at the root of the housing problem. Hey, Barney wants to let us all smoke grass on the weekends. I love him, he loves me, we're a happy family...