PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barlow: Mike Nolan is Hitler

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 9:41 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:28 p.m. EDT, August 23, 2006
BARLOW BACKTRACKS ON "HITLER" COMMENT

Former 49ers running back Kevan Barlow is backtracking after comparing his former coach Mike Nolan to Hitler.

"If I could take it back, I would," Barlow said, according to the AP. "I was very emotional. All I knew at the time was San Francisco, that was where I started my career, that's where my house was. It was a shock to me."

Said Barlow on Tuesday, according to the Contra Costa Times: "Nolan just doesn't know what he's doing. He's a first-time head coach with too much power. He has too much power as a first-time head coach. He walks around with a chip on his shoulder, like he's a dictator, like he's Hitler. People are scared of him. If it ain't Nolan's way, it's the highway."

But Barlow's contrition commenced in the same article in which he dropped the H-bomb. Reached a few hours after making his initial comments, Barlow backtracked. "I was kind of harsh on him, saying he's a dictator. That's bad. Saddam Hussein is a dictator. I was speaking on emotion."

Barlow also called Nolan a liar for telling him last week that he wouldn't be traded.

Last edited:
It's also Old news,that he's apologised for:)

HAMMERMILL said:
It's also Old news,that he's apologised for:)

It seems like once someone explained to him how hurtful and insensitive such a comparison and remark was he quickly apologized.

Some people would neve apologize for such an insensitive comment so I give him credit for his apology.

If he continues to make these remarks over and over in the future, now knowing how much pain he causes so many by minimizing the Holocaust, I'd be the first to blast him as the lowest of all lowlifes - but it seems like he's sincerely contrite so I think everyone will let it slide.

He didn't say Mike Nolan was Hitler. I hate when people say this. He said he's a dictator, LIKE he's Hitler.

PromisedLand said:
First of all your thread title should begin with OT:. Second I find it really annoying when people post links to articles with no excerpts, summary of what the article says or comments on it.

He did ADD his comments on it since the TITLE of his thread has NOTHING to do with what Barlow said. mikey put his opinion and own spin on it as Barlow said, "like he's a dictator, like he's Hitler. People are scared of him." ( about Nolan) He NEVER said Nolan IS Hitler. Which has a very different connatation to it. I don't think anyone should use Hitler as a personality example ever since it is always in bad taste, but people really need to get off the PC bus it gets silly. By most accounts Barlow is pretty much a jacka**, but I think a basic apology for using the wrong person as a comparision is more than enough.

pats-blue said:
He did ADD his comments on it since the TITLE of his thread has NOTHING to do with what Barlow said. mikey put his opinion and own spin on it as Barlow said, "like he's a dictator, like he's Hitler. People are scared of him." ( about Nolan) He NEVER said Nolan IS Hitler. Which has a very different connatation to it. I don't think anyone should use Hitler as a personality example ever since it is always in bad taste, but people really need to get off the PC bus it gets silly. By most accounts Barlow is pretty much a jacka**, but I think a basic apology for using the wrong person as a comparision is more than enough.

Yup - the guy apologized - and it was a sincere apology - he's not the brightest bulb and didn't fully realize what he was saying - I hope the media stops the witch hunt there

With the possible exception of mikey, I don't think anyone took Barlow's comments to mean that he actually thought "Nolan IS Hitler" - as if they are one and the same person

(....that Hitler evaded death, and somehow worked his way from Germany to Argentina, got a facelift, cheated old age, took a career in the coaching ranks of the NFL and now Barlow is the brave soul to blow the whistle on this amazing conspiracy...)

It's very offensive to a great number of people who's families have been ravaged by the Holocaust that anyone would compare a coach or even a political opponent to a genocidal maniac who systematically killed 6 million people, seeking to eradicate a people from the face of the earth

This is why the Anti-Defamation League has a very strong policy about such rhetoric and why I often rail against a certain Patsfans member who has "mistakenly" posted such rhetoric in this Football Forum on numerous occasions

what i dont understand is why Barlow is angry for leaving the 49ers. Who actually wants to remain on that team?

Last edited by a moderator:
What surprised me was that the story was about Nolan at all. I had no idea he was so strict. The headline I read said something like Former player Compares Coach to Hitler and I thought someone must be complaining about Tom Coughlin or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEM said:
BTW, who are you referring to?

I don't think there's ever been any other member who has had one - let alone dozens - of "mistaken" political threads posted in the football forum.

Of course I'm pretty passionate about this issue - yet I still feel like Barlow definately gets points in my book for recognizing how his remarks hurt people and apologizing.

I don't think he's going to make the same mistake twice. It takes a particular type of lowlife scum to be purposefully mean and hateful in that way and it seems clear that Barlow did not know what he was doing or how the Anti-Defamation League has been so vocal in urging an end to this type of rhetoric out of respect to Holocaust victims and their families.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye