Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barbarians Target French Jews

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Apr 2, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +839 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2114296,00.html

Forget the French idyll portrayed in such books as A Year in Provence. France is being forced to confront her dark side as details emerge of horrific crimes in the suburbs. Testimony from this grim underbelly, the immigrant banlieues — literally “places of banishment†— has fortified the elite’s view of young immigrants on the wrong side of the Paris ring road as “barbarians at the gateâ€.

...Halimi was imprisoned and tortured with acid and cigarette burns for more than three weeks in the heart of a council estate.

More than 30 neighbours in the building knew what was happening but said nothing about the crime, part of a worrying wave of attacks against Jews all over the country.

Besides Yalda, several women have been arrested in an investigation into their role in botched efforts to lure other Jewish men into “honey trapsâ€. “He wanted a Jew,†a girl called Audrey told police, referring to Youssouf Fofana, the charismatic leader of the Barbarians, who was listed by the girls in their telephone directories as “Youssouf the barbarinâ€.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

When Liberals stamp their little feet and get mad at America if things don't go their way (elections) and they threaten to leave the country (they never do) why do they always say "I'm moving to France"?
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No liberal ever says France. Making fun of France is an equal opportunity activity, everyone goes at them. When people talk about a successful Europe, I think of Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, and the Scandanavian countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland). They all have their problems too, but so does Detroit, Houston, Boston, or any other place.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

France and the U.S. are the most similar countries I know. Both are very nationalistic, both are very arrogant, both have terrific culture and diversity, both have an anarchistic or libertarian streak running through them, and both have their share of problems. What happened to Halami is horrible, and I hope it's a wake up call to France that it can't bury its problems in the slums. Sooner or later those problems will spill over into other communities.

For every horrible crime in France, I'm sure there's a similar one here. There's less anti-semitism here, for sure, but reading about kids setting fire to homeless people, about James Byrd, Jr. being tied to a car and dragged to his death, about Matthew Sheppard being tortured and left to die, reminds us that we cannot throw stones. Terrible crimes, whether here or elsewhere, do not define a people. What defines a people is how they respond to such crimes.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Yo, Pujo, when I retire, my dream is to spend half my time in Paris and half here.
  6. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I have never experienced as much prejudice and bigotry anywhere, as I have in Switzerland.

IMHO, Europe is no heaven either, as they all watched Milosevic commit genocide, right smack in their face, and did absolutely nothing.

One cannot help but wonder, if it were not Milosevic but a Muslim leader killing Christians, would their reaction, or lack thereof, have been the same?
    I don't think so.

Oh, France could not do anything, they were too busy commiting a genocide of their own in Northern Africa (against another Muslim Nation as fate would have it) while preaching Democracy and accusing other nations of crimes against human rights.

France, arrogance at its best, not to mention the BO:)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

At least you seem pragmatic about what kind of place it is (per your post above that one).
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Could you expand a little on that?
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +839 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Switzerland is very insular and xenophobic in relative Euroculture terms. Just try to immigrate there. Nice country, but some of their broad cultural values aren't my cup of tea.

Remember, their greatest contribution to western civ is the cuckoo clock. :)
  10. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sure.
    In a nutshell, the French speaking Swiss have a superior attitude over the German speaking ones, so much so that they view the German speaking ones as second class citizens, unworthy, not to be socialized with, etc.
    There was a famous photo of a French restaurant that had a sign saying something like (I don't remember the exact words) "no dogs, no cats, no German and certainly no ugly foreigners", back in the late 80's. It was understood that by ugly foreigners, they meant Americans and Middle-Easterners.
    The only ones that get treated worse than the German speaking Swiss are foreigners, those with limited means, and those who happen to be Muslim, in that order.
    I was held for two days in a cell, after reporting my US passport stolen, not to the US Consulate but to the Swiss Police, first.
    I had done so, because I knew who had stolen it. He was a Swiss citizen and here I was an American (so I had to be lying) that was also a citizen of Turkey. They couldn't decide which was worse.
    I got no phone priviliges, no shower, no visits and on the third day, after the weekend, the American Consulate sent someone who got me out, after "discussing" the situation for four hours.
    They never issued any apologies, never even acknowledged fault. The attitude was that I had to be guilty of something since I was not a millionaire and did not speak French.
    I have heard a few very similar stories from people that experienced them, and it gets worse if you happen to be black according to my attorney who spent a month there back in his college days, in the mid 80's.
    Their history is full of cooperation with war criminals, as long as they had money and we are not even going to get into that can of worms.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006