Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barak Obama for President in 08?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ctpatsfan1, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Wonder if the powers that be in the democratic party finally get their head out their asses with the whole Hillary for Prez in 08 thing and run Barak Obama instead, or tell him to wait his turn and he can run after Hillary gets her turn.

Personally I hope they run Hillary as I think the Dems would win or at least make a race of it if they ran Barak.

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

A lot of those southern, racist hicks might vote for Obama, as his mother was White and from Kansas.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

Saw him on TV last week, while he has very good appeal, he does not have enough political history to make him a viable candidate at this time. With that being said, Hillary or Kerry are terrible considerations, so it may fall to him, but he will need a very strong and very good running mate.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

My guess is that Barak will run to position himself as a VP candidate. The latest polls show that Hillary would beat McCain, but who knows. The one thing we can be sure of is that the Hillary haters would turn out to vote, while they might not be as motivated if it was Barak (except of course for the fact that all racists, regardless of party, would probably oppose him).

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Obama is a great speaker. I've said it before that he would serve his chances well if he ran for governor of Illinois and won. Governors are far more electable as presidents than are Senators. Furthermore, Obama speaks well, but speaking alone is not what matters. His stances on certain issues will be disected. I'm not sure he has a great record there. Think John Edwards redux.

I'd say think a black John Edwards but that might be viewed as racist and get a thread locked. Oops, wait, I just said it.

:D

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Obama:
    A new "Hero"

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I would like to see Obama run as VP with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson. I don't see it happening as the party has other options they want to run with. For electability, a southern governor is the ticket.

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree that running as a governor instead of senator is the way to go. It just has much more credibility, and you also don't have a history of votes that can be distorted.

This sounds horrible, but if I am Obama, I run for governor soon, hope Hillary runs in '08, hope the Republicans win in '08 and continue to screw things up, and then run and win in 2012.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Lets all remember that Bush didn't have a lot of political history either. A terriffic speaker, a unfier of cultures, an American. Not sure if our truly racist voters (of which I believe there are a lot) will see that the man is a real american, a mutt. I believe that our country is less racist today then it was yesterday. Just wondering if 2008 will belong enough to win over a couple of million hicks that still believe there are WMDs in Iraq.

It would be hard for the republicans to nominate a candidate who could command a room and captivate like Barak. Obama is the man who SHOULD be nominated. But watching how the democrats have been working lately .... They will nominate Parker Lewis, and Ray Romano.

Parker Lewis can't lose, and EVERYBODY loves Raymond.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

It would be hard for the republicans to nominate a candidate who could command a room and captivate like Barak.

How about Rudi Giuliani?

Electing a president is about more than public speaking (Obama is a great speaker). Who cares if Obama gives a great speech. The issues are what's important. Where does he stand on taxes, abortion, stem cell research, TWAT, immigration, etc... That is what makes or breaks a candidate.

Back to Rudi for a second, it's the very reasons I just mentioned that make him relatively unelectable. His positions on major issues do not sit well with republican voters. Plus, he has massive skeletons in his closet. He and Hillary will be torn to shreds should they run in '08. I think Obama certainly has a chance, just not in '08. He would do himself well to run for governor first.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Should we start laying out some odds on who we think the nominees will be in '08?

Could be a good poll to keep track of...?

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Way too early to know. Who had ever heard of Bill Clinton in '92? John Kerry wasn't the favorite in 2004, Howard Dean was. 2008 is tough because there will be no VP candidate, nor any distinguished icons from either side. There are clear questions regarding all the mentioned possibilities. I think that there may be a surprise on one, maybe even on both sides.

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Thats why I think it would be fun to speculate and discuss.

The only one I've heard who is running for sure thus far is Joe Biden. Anyone else?

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Al Boob Gore won't run, he thinks he's the President now.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Using the same logic...is that why Cheney isn't gunna run?

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Could be, you probably won't believe it but I think Cheney is just as big of an a$s hole as Boob Crazy Gore is.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

If I had to pick two horses today, I'd say Hillary for the Dems, and McCain for the GOP. The result? McCain wins. I think the Dem nomination is Hillary's to take, I just don't think the DNC wants to give it to her. There are serious electability questions surrounding Hillary. For one, she has MASSIVE skeletons that will be exposed as a candidate. Also, where she does have considerable support in polls, she is even more highly disliked (unfavorable) by the public. I'm not sure either party wants to prop up a candidate that will bring alot of negative sentiment. I think ther are serious questions about Hillary's electability in a national election. McCain would win IMO, simply because he is a career moderate, and is pretty highly regarded on both sides. His negatives are his age, hi bland personality, and believe it or not, his moderation. I say his moderation because he is sometimes thought to compromise too much, which translates as lacking leadership. True leaders tend to be more stern about their core beliefs. Then again though, with the partisanship at an alltime high, maybe that is a quality people will want.

Again though, far too early. This is merely if I had to pick today.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

The Left Wing Liberals in America will destroy this Obama guy by slobbering over him.

America will become "sick of him"

(I wonder why they slobber over him) :bricks:

19. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Same reason liberals slobber over Clarence Thomas. Wait, they don't slobber over Clarence Thomas. Well, maybe it's because Obama claims to represent their interests??

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Liberals are emotionally driven people. Therefore, they tend to fall in love with eloquent speakers with a "save the children" type of message. They like people that will stand up there, look cool and calm, and say all the right things, or actually, all the things that they agree with. An intelligent person will listen to a "nice" speech, and ask how said person plans on carrying out his intentions. For example, saying we need to improve schools, help the poor, save the children, put more cops on the street, be friends with our allies, lower taxes, decrease spending, create jobs at home, strengthen the military, and give everyone a free donut sound great. Liberals love that. Intelligent people here that and ask how you intend to pay for it.