Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barack Obama: The End Of Small Politics

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JackPMiller, Jun 19, 2006.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Barack Obama: The End Of Small Politics

By Barack Obama, AlterNet. Posted June 19, 2006.

In an impassioned speech, the Illinois senator explains Bush's ongoing failures, why the 'ownership society' doesn't work, and why we must -- somehow -- hold on to hope.

Editor's Note: These remarks are excerpted from a speech Obama delivered at the Take Back America conference on June 14, 2006. Click here to watch a video of the speech.

To read the rest of the article,
    http://www.alternet.org/story/37695

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +689 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

It makes me sick when Liberals refer to themselves as Progressives. If they were progressive they wouldn't be in favor of stagnant B.S. like Social Security, Affirmative Action, etc, which may have been needed at one time but is just a hinderance now. As for his comments on energy independence, his party was in the White House for 8 years and until 2000 and did nothing so those are just words.

3. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought it is rather sneaky and disingenuous of you to lump "social security" with "affirmative action".

Social security is not a handout or a welfare system. To be eligible to receive social security, you and your employer must have contributed at least 10 years to the system.

The problem with social security is that people are living longer. The solution is not to dismantle the whole system, but to tweak it.

I believe Americans have OVERWHELMINGLY REPUDIATED George Bush's attempt to convert social security into a "401k" private accounts.

4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

You are a 100% correct. They are actually quite regressive.

This guy scares the crap out of me, he is saying that it is bad to be successful, oh except for him.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +689 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

I never said it was.

No, the problem is that some of us don't want to play. I don't want you, Bush, Obama or anyone else taking my retirement money and doing what they want with it. I want to keep it myself and do what I want with it.

I think the majority of those paying in now would support privatization. The way it's set up, though, is will never be supported because you'll always have a vast majority of retirees wanting their money back and that huge percentage will never be overcome by those currently working. The (D)s have an automatic huge voting block on their side, the AARP.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  6. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I disagree with a lot of what he says (especially self-reliance), but atleast he understands what is holding his party back. Stop *****ing and come up with a plan to fix everything that the dems think is wrong. If they give the independents a viable solution to rebut the republicans they may actually win an election!