PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Banks: Pats figure out how to get Branch to negotiating table

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
New Don Banks article (which I noticed while voting in Ian's poll!):
So what's the endgame of this sticky situation? It would appear that it's up to Branch and his agent to wisely recognize the path back to the negotiating table that New England has been nice enough to provide, with both sides crafting a deal that saves face all around and avoids designating either camp as a winner or loser in this unexpectedly long standoff. The Patriots have at least created the context for such a scenario to unfold in the coming days.

This much should be clear to Branch by now: The Patriots aren't going to be the first ones to crack. They never have in the past, and head coach Bill Belichick and VP of player personnel Scott Pioli aren't likely to start caving now. They will find a way to move on without Branch in 2006 if that's the only recourse they feel has been left to them. They hold most of the cards in this one, and they know it.

For Branch, the grass is greener in New England than it will be anywhere else. The tricky question is whether he'll learn that lesson without having to leave town.
More ... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/08/30/nfl.notes/index.html

Last edited:
Re: Pats figure out how to get Branch to negotiating table

bump ... I honestly thought this would generate a lot more discussion!

Much as I would like Branch to re-sign with the Patriots, this article simply repeats a lot of received ideas about how brilliant Belichick and Pioli are but gives no reason to think that Branch is any more likely to sign.

Here is what Banks writes:

"Remember Alvin Harper? The former Cowboys receiver had a beautiful thing going in Dallas in the early 1990s with quarterback Troy Aikman and fellow receiver Michael Irvin. Harper did get paid by jumping from Dallas to Tampa Bay in free agency in 1995, but in essence he was never heard from again once he took the bucks and became a Buc.

Branch has a great situation in New England. He's Brady's favorite target, and he's well positioned to have a long shelf life in the Boston area, as the logical heir to replace beloved veteran receiver and local icon Troy Brown once Brown's career finally concludes. And there's always a shot at securing a third Super Bowl ring, which would move him into pretty elite territory."

In other words: stay with New England and be more successful. But if you've been watching what has been going on, it doesn't appear that having the most successful career is what motivates Branch rather than being paid the most money. So all of this stuff is quite beside the point.

The only other argument is Banks' assertion that Branch will realize that he's not going to get the money that he wants. But how should he realize that in a few days of negotiation when another team would also have to pony up a substantial draft pick as well? Surely he would get a better contract if he were a complete free agent and whatever happens between now and Friday afternoon can't be an accurate guide to that.

Branch and his agent may be wrong about the market, but that isn't going to change by Friday.

Very stupid article, in my opinion.

Sadly i do not think Branch wants to be in NE any longer. This is aptly demonstrated by his refusal to actually negociate with the team.

We can blame his agent all we want, but the fact is if Branch simply wanted more money he would have instructed his agent to counter the Pat's offer.

That did not happen so one must conclude Branch wants out of NE any way he can.

After five or six days of TC went by with no word from the Pats, Chayut pumped up Branch figuring any moment the team would cave. Then came two weeks of camp without a peep. Hold tight Deion, said Chayut, the are trying to test us. TC broke and the preseason arrived, the Pats rolled without any WR of note on the field. Chayut told Branch he must get tough now because the team is probing our limits. Then Chayut was shocked by the trade offer; through eight days he has found nothing for his client that any team will buy. Deion, you have to be ready for the worst - you might lose half the season or more, sounds like what Chayut is telling Branch now.

The somewhat shocking reply from Branch - That's cool, I've got my rings...

This article is right on in one way for certain - there has got to be very real possibility of disaster for Branch if he sits out all year or even until the six game deadline. Deion just doesn't have the numbers to automatically overcome the stigma of a me first guy and one has to wonder if a player can permanently pollute his own mind with his oh so dissed ego to the point of ruining his career as viable option on a winning team deep with other stars. IOW, the AZ's and SF's of the world will pay you pretty large but you might never have place on a winner until you wake up and realize how late it is.....

Last edited:
Honestly I never thought of Deion as the kind of guy to be all about the bucks. I'm thinking at this point why is he still listening to his agent and why isn't he telling the guy to stick his nose in there and start negotiating? Sept 1st is the deadline. The ball's in your court now Deion. Whatcha gonna do??

Mike the Brit said:
Much as I would like Branch to re-sign with the Patriots, this article simply repeats a lot of received ideas about how brilliant Belichick and Pioli are but gives no reason to think that Branch is any more likely to sign.

In other words: stay with New England and be more successful. But if you've been watching what has been going on, it doesn't appear that having the most successful career is what motivates Branch rather than being paid the most money. So all of this stuff is quite beside the point.

I'm not defending the article, but Branch does have financial motivation. BB will sit him all year if he has to. That means that the fines will stick (I believe they will be waived if he comes back and resigns) and he won't make JACK for this year.

Also, he will be 1 year out of football and carry the 'Scarlet M' on him (meaning malcontent). Whether you want to believe it or not, that will cost him some money next year when he is a UFA and trying to get another team to drop big bucks on him.

His holdout is hurting him more than it is hurting the Pats and BB will play without him. Continuing to hold out is counter productive.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
I'm not defending the article, but Branch does have financial motivation. BB will sit him all year if he has to. That means that the fines will stick (I believe they will be waived if he comes back and resigns) and he won't make JACK for this year.

Also, he will be 1 year out of football and carry the 'Scarlet M' on him (meaning malcontent). Whether you want to believe it or not, that will cost him some money next year when he is a UFA and trying to get another team to drop big bucks on him.

His holdout is hurting him more than it is hurting the Pats and BB will play without him. Continuing to hold out is counter productive.

Yes, of course. You're absolutely right. But that wasn't the point of the article. The argument was that BB and Pioli were increasing the pressure on Branch by giving him the chance to seek a trade.

The holdout and the associated fines create the pressure automatically.

I think that BB is a genius (although I have my doubts about how he and Pioli handle players and contracts) but it annoys me that journalists just write as if all they need is the following: (A) BB is a genius (B) BB did such-and-such, therefore (C) such-and-such is a genius move.

A lazy article, but, since it says positive things about the Pats, we tend to applaud.

RAWKY said:
That did not happen so one must conclude Branch wants out of NE any way he can.

Totally disagree. Where do you get that?

I conclude that Branch would far rather stay in Foxboro than anywhere else, but he wants to get paid THIS YEAR... at least as much as Givens is making. Hell, they were drafted in the same class and although Giv is solid, Branch is clearly a cut above.

Thing is, his agent is (apparently) a complete schmo who doesn't understand that the 5th year of a rookie contract is a carefully guarded corporate asset for the Pats, and not something they are going to casually sell back to the player who gave it up four years ago in exchange for a signing bonus.

At this point, I think Branch thinks he's made a mistake, but doesn't see how he can come back to the team without looking like a complete wuss. And what sort of a negotiating precedent does this set, assuming (which I do) that he does want to come back to NE after this contract is up.

All that cap space... a big piece of it was earmarked for Deon. He just wants a bigger piece than he's entitled to.

It's like my girlfriend and I both want to get married, but she's holding out because the diamond on the engagement ring isn't cut in the right shape and she thinks (but doesn't know for sure) that her best friend's rock will be bigger. Doesn't mean she wants out of the relationship. She's just being a little self-centered and a little small minded.

Last edited:
Each day that goes by increases the prospect that the previously not-taken-too-serious $14,000 per day fine being tacked onto Branch's tab will be a number that the Patriots refuse to negotiate with. I'm sure the Pats would have been open to waiving these fines from the early to middle portion of training camp, but I think we are well beyond that honeymoon period at this point.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
It's like my girlfriend and I both want to get married, but she's holding out because the diamond on the engagement ring isn't cut in the right shape and she thinks (but doesn't know for sure) that her best friend's rock will be bigger. Doesn't mean she wants out of the relationship. She's just being a little self-centered and a little small minded.

The problem with your example is that your girlfriend is communicating with you about what the real issue is.....

In Branch's case.....The Pat's made an offer a bigger and more beautifully cut diamond and Branch's only counter was

" IF YOU PROMISE NOT TO FRANCHISE ME I WILL REPORT TO PLAY FOOTBALL"

That is like your girlfriend saying if you promise not to marry me in the fall i will continue to live with you until the end of the season and then i am out of here.

By only asking for his unconditional release after the season Branch is saying i will not play for you after this year regardless of how much money you offer me i only want out of NE.

Both Law and Milloy left but they both made very plain to the Pat's how much it would cost the Pat's to keep them.....Branch refuse to do this. This is the crux of the problem which forced BB to give Branch the right to seek other teams for a trade.

When it is only about the money the agents make real plain how much it will take to keep a player..,.By not countering the money offer Branch is saying it is not about the money IT IS PERSONAL.

Too assume Branch would play for Givens money is just that an assumption without any facts or actions to back it up.

Actions speak way louder then words and the only action we have is his demand not to be franchised.

Branch wants NE to feel his pain not just pay his price.....He is hurt and wants out of NE to pay them back for his precieved injury.

Refusal to negotitate says "I TRUSTED YOU AND YOU SCREWED ME SO GO TO HE!!", i will not play for your team.

If Branch can not get past these feelings no amount of money will overcome them.

Mike the Brit said:
But how should he realize that in a few days of negotiation when another team would also have to pony up a substantial draft pick as well? Surely he would get a better contract if he were a complete free agent.......

Yeah, surely he would get a better contract if he were a complete free agent. The problem is he will NEVER be a complete free agent. He is going to have to get a deal done with a team giving up "a substantial draft pick" either now or in the off-season because of the franchise tag.

BB is not dumb enough to let Branch walk for nothing.

Last edited:

PATRIOTS-80 said:
BB is not dumb enough to let Branch walk for nothing.

I surely hope not.

There are two interpretations of the hold-out. One, Branch just wants a better offer from the Patriots and thinks that if they're desperate enough (around week 6) he'll get it. Two, he wants out and this is about persuading them not to use the franchise tag. Either way, it doesn't look good.

But look at the thread title. If letting him explore a trade under immense time pressure is a way of getting him to the negotiating table, I'm blessed if I can see why.

Mike the Brit said:
I surely hope not.

There are two interpretations of the hold-out. One, Branch just wants a better offer from the Patriots and thinks that if they're desperate enough (around week 6) he'll get it. Two, he wants out and this is about persuading them not to use the franchise tag. Either way, it doesn't look good.

But look at the thread title. If letting him explore a trade under immense time pressure is a way of getting him to the negotiating table, I'm blessed if I can see why.

Because it makes his agent put up or shut up.

Remember there are 2 people here, Branch and his agent. The agent has said "trust me" I know how to make them play ball. We'll never have to really hold out.

Implied here is the fact that other teams would offer him a lot more if he were free.

But he's not. BB has given them the chance to see what he's worth with compensation.

Bluff called. Now it's either deal with the Pats or hold out. No one is going to pony up a 1st and pay him significantly more than the Pats with a week to go before the season.

Is that fair? Yes! Because he's not a free agent, won't be for a year or two.

At this point Branch starts to think, "what am I getting out of this except missing training and a bad reputation"? The answer Nothing?

All this stress, bullsnit, fines etc. for nothing.

Agent starts hemming and hawing and Branch looks for a. resolution, b. new agent?

Bottom line: Pats do not need to make him an offer. He is under contract, can be franchised, transitioned, traded or offered a new contract at any time.

The silence is deafening on this one. If Chayut had another card to play he'd be making noise.

If there was even a hint of a real offer, he'd be making noise.

He's pretty much Todd Pinkston with the safety bearing down on him now:D .

Well, my point is that there is a world of difference between what Branch would get as a free agent and what is offered a week before the season along with a first round draft pick. That doesn't "set the market" at all.

It's not true that Branch won't be a free agent for a year or two. He will be at the end of this season, UNLESS the Pats place the franchise tag on him. That, to repeat, seems to be one of the two likely explanations for what the hold-out is all about.

Mike the Brit said:
Well, my point is that there is a world of difference between what Branch would get as a free agent and what is offered a week before the season along with a first round draft pick. That doesn't "set the market" at all.

It's not true that Branch won't be a free agent for a year or two. He will be at the end of this season, UNLESS the Pats place the franchise tag on him. That, to repeat, seems to be one of the two likely explanations for what the hold-out is all about.

Or the transition tag where they could match any offer. The point is they can't see what the market is because he's under contract.

Belichick is calling their bluff as is his right since he's under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes