Welcome to PatsFans.com

Banana Republic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

This is what happens when you let the inmates run the assylum. I can understand flags being prohibited if their was some form of ethnic tension being caused. However, the American flag should NEVER be banned from an AMERICAN school. What a banana republic. WTF is going on in this country? :enranged:

High School Bans American Flag

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007 - 11:56 PM Updated: 07:03 AM

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. – On the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, students at one high school were not allowed to wear clothes with an American Flag.

Under a new school rule, students at Hobbton High School are not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The new rule stems from a controversy over students wearing shirts bearing flags of other countries.

Gayle Langston said her daughter, Jessica, was told to remove her stars and stripes t-shirt.

“Today she wanted to wear her shirt, and I had to tell her no,” said Langston. “She didn't like it at all because I knew it would get her in trouble. Of all days, 9/11, she could not wear her American Flag shirt.”

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

It probably started as a common sense solution to a problem evolving from childishness. Something like this:

Student A wears a shirt with the Palestinian flag, Student B wears one with the Israeli flag, Student C wears one with a Mexican flag, and a bunch of students wear ones with American flag. It leads to fights, cliques, and other problems for the school. The solution? Ban shirts with flags. I think it was nothing but a practical solution, especially with our society's terror of violence in our schools.

At any rate, the ACLU would certainly argue that all students should be able to wear what they want.
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

The common sense solution is that since we live in the United States, if a nations flag is to be worn, it should be the American one. That is not a "right wing" statement to make, it is common sense.

If I go into your home I abide by your rules, if you come into mine you abide by mine. This is America, unless I am mistaken?

otherwise, I guess you can come into my home and play Satanic CD's and I can go into yours and play Christian Contemporary? :)
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

I think it was a practical solution to a more important problem: namely the problem of an us v. them atmosphere that led to conflicts. (I could, of course, be completely wrong, and the school is simply zany.) To allow only American shirts would not solve the problem. I don't think the school was trying to make any kind of statement, just trying to keep the peace. It probably should have been a temporary ban or be lifted on days like 9/11.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Bullsh!t
    This is America the American Flag is the Flag of our country, the new breed of young Americans today are being taught that America is the root of everything evil in the world, soon there will be no America, it will be just another third world dump with all kinds of people walking around unable to talk to each other but they sure as hell will know how to KILL each other.

The American Flag should NEVER NEVER be banned anywhere in America I have four relatives that died before they were 40 years old for that Flag.

What in the name of God is happening to this country.
  6. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

But my point is, when you say "..would not solve the problem", whose problem is it? This is the United States. When you come to live here, its a matter of consideration and respect that the American flag, especially on 9/11 or around Memorial Day etc.. is going to get the nod.

If I travel to Europe, or Asia, or anywhere else I go by their rules, and I dont go by mine. In fact, if I walked into an Pub in Ireland or anyplace else and they asked me not to wear my American flag T-shirt ( which, if you knew me, you'd know its not my style :) ), because it might cause a fight during the World Cup match, you know what I would say? "Yes, Sir. Because its THEIR place, not MINE.

Respect and consideration. What a concept.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

That's nice and idealistic, but maybe not always practical everywhere. Maybe if schools could spend more on security and teaching, these issues wouldn't come up in the first place. But, I think a school's first job is to protect its students. After all, the flag is just some colored ink (and, true, the colors don't run) on paper or fabric; a far better symbol of our nation is the ability for all of us to get along and that, perhaps, is what the school wanted to preserve.
  8. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's against the US code to "wear" the flag, just like you're not supposed to have it on a sports uniform.

LT and Willie Parker don't wear them on their helmets. LT ran on the field with a flag in hand but without the league wide decal.
  9. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

a far better symbol of our nation is for the ability of new people to assimilate like our ancestors did and shut up about it. All this teaches is that it doesnt matter what country we live or whose house we are in, wherever we go people have to adapt to us, and not the other way around.

And we wonder why there is no respect for others anymore. Next thing you know, it'll be expected that a church has to allow pictures of men kissing during a service held in its sanctuary.
    oh wait.................. ;)
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Some common sense solution? Sure, banning the AMERICAN flag in AMERICA is pretty common sense. :rolleyes: I guess most anti-americans, or anyone from the blame america crowd would find this as common sense. One things for sure, they ACLU would be there demanding the Taliban be able to wave their flag if people waved an American one. What a banana republic.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Us & them is America. Hello? Of course, this is what happens when you permit an invasion to take place. People don't feel they are American since they don't asimilate.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Damn straight HB. This country is in serious trouble on its current path.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

The schools job is to teach kids. PERIOD.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

STFU you white, racist, jesus freak motherfu....:D .
  15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

well, white jesus freak i'll give you. the other 2 not so much :)
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

That would be nice. But, if there are fights and someone gets injured, what then? Then, not only are kids hurt, but the school is sued, and they're forced to take all sorts of measures so they're not sued again. I don't think there's an easy answer as nice as that would be.
  17. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Oh no. We must do everything in our power not to make the kids from Mexico, Yemen, Pakistan, and Syria angry or sad because they might start a fight if their feelings out hurt.

"In my day" the answer would be tough.

"Mommy im bored" "tough"
    "theres nothing to do" "run around the block"
    "find me something to do" SMACK!
    "ok, i'll go read"

Maybe we should pay each student from another land $100 for every day their feelings arent hurt. :rolleyes:

there is an easy answer. ASSIMILATE!!!!!
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

This is the same mentality as "Arrest the Cop turn the criminal loose"

Imagine what fools we look like to other country's when they read that we BAN our own flag :singing:
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  19. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I could just see the Principal of Iran Junior High School saying "Put down that flag, do you want to make that little Jewish kid over their feel bad????" :singing:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Yeah, I know. If a kid needs to take a leak, they need to have a bathroom and make sure he/she tinkles. If it's cold, they need to make sure the building has heat. If they have a sprinkler system, they need to make sure it's tested annually, the same for any elevators.

:violent: