Welcome to PatsFans.com

Banana Republic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

This is what happens when you let the inmates run the assylum. I can understand flags being prohibited if their was some form of ethnic tension being caused. However, the American flag should NEVER be banned from an AMERICAN school. What a banana republic. WTF is going on in this country? :enranged:

High School Bans American Flag

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007 - 11:56 PM Updated: 07:03 AM

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. – On the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, students at one high school were not allowed to wear clothes with an American Flag.

Under a new school rule, students at Hobbton High School are not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The new rule stems from a controversy over students wearing shirts bearing flags of other countries.

Gayle Langston said her daughter, Jessica, was told to remove her stars and stripes t-shirt.

“Today she wanted to wear her shirt, and I had to tell her no,” said Langston. “She didn't like it at all because I knew it would get her in trouble. Of all days, 9/11, she could not wear her American Flag shirt.”

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

It probably started as a common sense solution to a problem evolving from childishness. Something like this:

Student A wears a shirt with the Palestinian flag, Student B wears one with the Israeli flag, Student C wears one with a Mexican flag, and a bunch of students wear ones with American flag. It leads to fights, cliques, and other problems for the school. The solution? Ban shirts with flags. I think it was nothing but a practical solution, especially with our society's terror of violence in our schools.

At any rate, the ACLU would certainly argue that all students should be able to wear what they want.
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

The common sense solution is that since we live in the United States, if a nations flag is to be worn, it should be the American one. That is not a "right wing" statement to make, it is common sense.

If I go into your home I abide by your rules, if you come into mine you abide by mine. This is America, unless I am mistaken?

otherwise, I guess you can come into my home and play Satanic CD's and I can go into yours and play Christian Contemporary? :)
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I think it was a practical solution to a more important problem: namely the problem of an us v. them atmosphere that led to conflicts. (I could, of course, be completely wrong, and the school is simply zany.) To allow only American shirts would not solve the problem. I don't think the school was trying to make any kind of statement, just trying to keep the peace. It probably should have been a temporary ban or be lifted on days like 9/11.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Bullsh!t
    This is America the American Flag is the Flag of our country, the new breed of young Americans today are being taught that America is the root of everything evil in the world, soon there will be no America, it will be just another third world dump with all kinds of people walking around unable to talk to each other but they sure as hell will know how to KILL each other.

The American Flag should NEVER NEVER be banned anywhere in America I have four relatives that died before they were 40 years old for that Flag.

What in the name of God is happening to this country.
  6. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

But my point is, when you say "..would not solve the problem", whose problem is it? This is the United States. When you come to live here, its a matter of consideration and respect that the American flag, especially on 9/11 or around Memorial Day etc.. is going to get the nod.

If I travel to Europe, or Asia, or anywhere else I go by their rules, and I dont go by mine. In fact, if I walked into an Pub in Ireland or anyplace else and they asked me not to wear my American flag T-shirt ( which, if you knew me, you'd know its not my style :) ), because it might cause a fight during the World Cup match, you know what I would say? "Yes, Sir. Because its THEIR place, not MINE.

Respect and consideration. What a concept.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

That's nice and idealistic, but maybe not always practical everywhere. Maybe if schools could spend more on security and teaching, these issues wouldn't come up in the first place. But, I think a school's first job is to protect its students. After all, the flag is just some colored ink (and, true, the colors don't run) on paper or fabric; a far better symbol of our nation is the ability for all of us to get along and that, perhaps, is what the school wanted to preserve.
  8. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's against the US code to "wear" the flag, just like you're not supposed to have it on a sports uniform.

LT and Willie Parker don't wear them on their helmets. LT ran on the field with a flag in hand but without the league wide decal.
  9. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

a far better symbol of our nation is for the ability of new people to assimilate like our ancestors did and shut up about it. All this teaches is that it doesnt matter what country we live or whose house we are in, wherever we go people have to adapt to us, and not the other way around.

And we wonder why there is no respect for others anymore. Next thing you know, it'll be expected that a church has to allow pictures of men kissing during a service held in its sanctuary.
    oh wait.................. ;)
  10. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Some common sense solution? Sure, banning the AMERICAN flag in AMERICA is pretty common sense. :rolleyes: I guess most anti-americans, or anyone from the blame america crowd would find this as common sense. One things for sure, they ACLU would be there demanding the Taliban be able to wave their flag if people waved an American one. What a banana republic.
  11. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Us & them is America. Hello? Of course, this is what happens when you permit an invasion to take place. People don't feel they are American since they don't asimilate.
  12. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Damn straight HB. This country is in serious trouble on its current path.
  13. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

The schools job is to teach kids. PERIOD.
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

STFU you white, racist, jesus freak motherfu....:D .
  15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

well, white jesus freak i'll give you. the other 2 not so much :)
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

That would be nice. But, if there are fights and someone gets injured, what then? Then, not only are kids hurt, but the school is sued, and they're forced to take all sorts of measures so they're not sued again. I don't think there's an easy answer as nice as that would be.
  17. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Oh no. We must do everything in our power not to make the kids from Mexico, Yemen, Pakistan, and Syria angry or sad because they might start a fight if their feelings out hurt.

"In my day" the answer would be tough.

"Mommy im bored" "tough"
    "theres nothing to do" "run around the block"
    "find me something to do" SMACK!
    "ok, i'll go read"

Maybe we should pay each student from another land $100 for every day their feelings arent hurt. :rolleyes:

there is an easy answer. ASSIMILATE!!!!!
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

This is the same mentality as "Arrest the Cop turn the criminal loose"

Imagine what fools we look like to other country's when they read that we BAN our own flag :singing:
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  19. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I could just see the Principal of Iran Junior High School saying "Put down that flag, do you want to make that little Jewish kid over their feel bad????" :singing:
  20. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Yeah, I know. If a kid needs to take a leak, they need to have a bathroom and make sure he/she tinkles. If it's cold, they need to make sure the building has heat. If they have a sprinkler system, they need to make sure it's tested annually, the same for any elevators.

:violent:
  21. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

That doesn't work in today's apologist America.
  22. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE Tell me your joking.
    [​IMG]

A common sense solution?

BANNING THE AMERICAN FLAG FROM AMERICAN SCHOOLS TO AVOID FIGHTS?

This is ridiculous. This should not even be discussed - if an AMERICAN wants to wear an AMERICAN flag in an AMERICAN institution then they should be allowed to - regardless of ANYTHING!

These stories really piss me off ...

... to avoid fights PFFF.
  23. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If there is a fight and someone is injured it's not the schools fault - it's failed parenting.
  24. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I apologize :)

I have to go, some mexican kids want to use the computer and they look angry.;)
  25. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I say again:

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    • (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    • (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    • (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    • (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    • (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    • (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    • (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
    • (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    • (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  26. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Add this one and you actually contribute to the topic of the thread:
    [*] (L) The flag shall never be banned from an American institution.
  27. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

What are you saying exactly? Remember, I'm not that bright a guy, or so I've been told. I think I need it explained to me like I'm an 8 year old.
  28. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

"Mommy that Mexican kid just stole my bike"
    "Shhhhh, don't let him hear you we don't want to offend him, mommy will buy you another one"
    "Ok mommy but what if that new kid from Sh!tville Palestine steals that one"
    "Mommy will buy another one dear"
    "ok mom"

"Mommy can I wear my cross necklace today"
    "no dear the Muslims don't like crosses"
    "0k mom"

"mommy can I put a Flag on my bike"
    "no dear the kids from Africa don't like the American Flag"
    ok mom"

"Mommy mommy come quick"
    "whats wrong dear"
    "Those funny looking people that just moved in next door stole our dog Fido, they said they were going to kill him and eat him, I want my doggie"
    "Mommy will buy another doggie dear"

I hear babies crying I watch them grow
    They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
    And I think to myself:
    "What a wonderful world!"
    Yes, I think to myself:
    "What a wonderful world!"
    :bricks:
  29. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I got one for you:
    "Mommy why did the school ban my american flag t-shirt?"
    "Because you touch yourself at night"
  30. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On the contrary, the thread topic is about CLOTHES being banned that have flags on them. Not the display of the flag.

You are all riled up about something that isn't legal to begin with.