Welcome to PatsFans.com

Banana Republic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

This country is so fukced up.

updated 7:38 p.m. EDT, Sun July 22, 2007

Sex-abuse case dropped because of delays in search for interpreter

Story Highlights
    Charges dismissed because court took too long to find a Vai interpreter

Mahamu Kanneh accused of raping and repeatedly molesting a 7-year-old girl

Prosecutors first said Kanneh could understand proceedings without translation

Officials found suitable interpreter; judge ruled too much time already passed

ROCKVILLE, Maryland (AP) -- Charges against a man accused of raping and repeatedly molesting a 7-year-old girl have been dropped because the court took too long to find an interpreter fluent in his native West African language.

Montgomery County Circuit Judge Katherine D. Savage dismissed the nearly three-year-old case against Mahamu Kanneh last week, saying the delays had violated the Liberian immigrant's right to a speedy trial.

"This is one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make in a long time," Savage said from the bench Tuesday. She said she was mindful of "the gravity of this case and the community's concern about offenses of this type."

Prosecutors are considering whether to appeal the dismissal. They cannot refile the charges.

Police arrested Kanneh, of Gaithersburg, in August 2004 after witnesses told police he assaulted the girl multiple times. He spent one night in jail and was released on a $10,000 bond with the restriction that he have no contact with minors.

Prosecutors at first maintained Kanneh could understand the proceedings without translation into his native Vai, a tribal language that linguists estimate is spoken by about 100,000 people mostly in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Prosecutors pointed out that Kanneh attended high school and community college in Montgomery and spoke to detectives in English.

Don't MissA court-appointed psychiatrist recommended that an interpreter be appointed and judges who handled subsequent hearings heeded that advice. But officials could not find a competent interpreter of Vai who would stay.

The first interpreter stormed out of the courtroom in tears because she found the facts of the case disturbing. A second interpreter was rejected for faulty work. A third Vai interpreter was located, but at the last minute, that person had to tend to a family emergency.

In recent weeks court officials had found a suitable interpreter, but Savage ruled that too much time had already passed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/22/charges.dismissed.ap/
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 2 / -9

This judge should go to prison.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

[QUOTE=Harry Boy;This judge should go to prison........And be molested.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

That damn sixth amendment. I don't know what the answer is here, but the judge certainly acted reasonably after giving the prosecution 3 years to find a translator, which evidently the Washington Post found in a matter of days. Let's hope the guy was innocent.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If the government makes a good faith effort to give the person a speedy trial, and circumstances get in the way, I don't believe that's a constitutional violation. But 3 years makes me think they weren't looking very hard.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

:rofl: The guy went to HS here in the states, and signed up for college courses after graduating. He dealt with the detectives in english. Sadly, he pleaded "insanity" like most losers try to do, and some idiotic, POS psycologist decided, probably between her reccomendations of drugging some school kids somewhere, that this guy needed an interpretor.

This country is so over. :mad:
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

Did you read the particulars of the case? Clearly you did not.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +560 / 2 / -9

The stinking criminal had more brains than than the Idiot Judge he out smarted her.

Watch out little girls & boys this bastard is out there when he gets horny he will be looking for you, "he is the boogie man mommy told you about".

What Language did he speak that they couldn't find anybody to talk to him, did he come here on a UFO :confused:

The enemy is winning, we are self destructing and destroying ourselves from within.

They should appoint this guy to a Judgeship, he outfoxed the whoile court system.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you don't get it. ;)
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

The prosecution should have found a translator. I assume that if the prosecution has a decent case, they'll appeal the ruling, perhaps on the grounds that the guy speaks English. Our system of justice works quite well, but there are many situations where it doesn't work: judges can make bad decisions; police can screw up evidence; prosecutors can make mistakes; juries can let their own bias' get in the way. There have always been and will always been innocent victims of our system and guilty parties set scot-free. You can't judge our country by the occasional anomaly
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anyone but me notice the following trend..?

1) Horrible crime is committed, with an injustice done in court
    2) Members of this NG get mad at the injustice
    3) Patters comes in here and explains how "reasonable" the judge acted and how, gosh darn it, that child rapist or 2-time murderer was really innocent and the system is unfair and he didn't deserve to go to jail.

I hope someday he gets a taste of his own medicine. What goes around comes around.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Well, QuiGon, since I'm not a miserable, vindictive person, I don't wish upon you that you get accused of a crime and have wait years for your day in court. I also don't wish upon you that the U.S. Constitution be violated in order to punish you. The right-wing members of this forum assume the guy is guilty, but many of us still believe in innocent until proven guilty and also believe that the Constitution, even with its flaws, protects all of us.

If the case is strong, the prosecution will appeal, and the higher court will probably review whether the recommendation of a translator was a valid one.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I disagree with that part. Whether the recommendation was valid has no bearing on the defendant's right to a speedy trial - even if the recommendation was invalid, it's through no legal fault of his own. The appeal will be limited to 1) whether the defendant's right to a speedy trial were violated by the delay and if so, 2) whether dismissing the case was the proper remedy.

Right now I'm inclined to side with the government on this, but I think it all rests on how hard they tried to get a translator (even considering the difficulties they had with the ones did find).
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

You're probably right.
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure you are, as you have demonstrated time and again. Only your vindictiveness isn't aimed at, ya know, rapists and murderers... but rather at religious people, Catholics, Conservatives, and just about anyone that doesn't endorse your lifestyle...
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +560 / 2 / -9

He went to High School in America, he went to Community College in America, the Detectives said he spoke English, this Dip Sh!t Rotten Judge turns him loose, this is mind boggling, this bastard dog has a better education than I have, if I'm ever arrested I'm going to tell the Judge I need an interpreter.

They kissed his a$s and gave him an interpreter, this interperter left the court room in tears because of what this scum did to the little girl and this Insane Filthy Slimey Judge turns this Jungle Animal loose.

I have to stop talking about this, it's disgusting, no wonder the Muslims call us "The Great Satan", I hope this judge, no I pray to God this judge gets Raped by some animal that can't speak English, I hope he rapes her 61 times.
    :bricks:
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you don't get it...
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +277 / 10 / -26

If he was locked for 3 years does anyone believe that he may have picked up some english? Come on now, the burden of proof falls on the prosecution, but this was an english immersion situation.. he must have had a basic knowledge of the english language, or at least as much as most other immigrants.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +560 / 2 / -9

This Judge is getting just what she wanted, Publicity, Picture in the paper and Hero Status from the Far Left Wing "Criminal Lovers".
    :bricks:
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I'm sure the nextr dem president will put this fine judge on the USSC. Nominate her for Cheif Justice if they get the chance. :rolleyes: