PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bam Childress activated, Smith waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer a few questions from the thread:

-The gameday active roster limit is 45.

-Players must have more than four accredited seasons to get a guaranteed salary by being on the roster for the first game. Bam has ZERO accredited seasons, so it's pro-rated salary for him.

But one thing to remember on that issue is that a vested veteran (>4 accredited seasons) can only get termination pay for getting cut after the first game, so the rule doesn't necessarily apply outright.

Last edited:
BillsFan4Life said:
Wow, I always respected the Pats and thought they were above that kind of stuff. Signing a player for a day to get the opposing team's playbook, then waiving him. I didn't think the Pats would stoop to that level.

* I think that's an overblown idea. Even if you knew every play in another team's playbook, you have no idea what play they'll run at any time. I think Bb mnay have just wanted to see if Smith had enough skill to keep, pluskeeping Smith would have made 3 Wr's on the 53 man roster that have little no no experience in teh Pats O. Jackson has some experience learning the playbook on paper and in meetings, but not so much in practive or any gane experience with it. Gabriel has game experience, but none with the Pats O and only 1 weeks of practice. Snith was in the same boat with much less skills. Bam knows the O andf I wouldn't be that surprised if je's on teh 45 man game day roster instead of either Jackson or Gabriel.

With Bam being signed to the active roster, it opens up a practice squad spot.

I hope they sign Patrick Cobbs to fill it.

The signing Cobbs idea is the only one that makes sense. Otherwise the cutting of Smith makes *no* sense given our average to poor punt return team.

What if Buffalo now resigns smith and gets the Patriots Playbook?

Personally, I think Bam Childress has ability that you can't quite describe. He might be an average player, but he has something. It seems that everytime I see him with the ball, I hold my breath expecting him to take one to the house. I am very glad to hear he's back on the team. I hope he stays for a while.

Cobbs traded to Steelers, yes?

patpatriot said:
The signing Cobbs idea is the only one that makes sense. Otherwise the cutting of Smith makes *no* sense given our average to poor punt return team.
i thought he went to pittsburgh for a player to be named later.

FloridaPatsFan said:
What if Buffalo now resigns smith and gets the Patriots Playbook?

...the game is tomorrow, dude. They're not going to know squat until after we scored on them...

Teams do sign players to get insight into the other team's playbook. USually they keep the player for a game or two, rather than make their intentions so obvious.

kolbitr said:
And why would they not want to keep him around for the Buffalo game itself? How many players play extra hard against the team that just cut them (see Heath Evans performance last year against Miami, e.g.)? I agree with the posters who think BB had wanted to bolster special teams, but perhaps it didn't work out.

My personal thought is that these suspicions are a bit paranoid. Has any player ever claimed that Team X brought him in just to siphon off his knowledge before the next game? Share the story if you have heard it.

I always think that "grab the guy for the playbook" issue is overblown. Most teams run a similar set of plays out of a set style of offense; it's rare you really see a completely new play. And Belichick/Pees/etc can break down the basics of an offense from looking at the film ... I doubt a WR from another team can really add all that much. Not enough to justify the cost in time and effort to bring the guy in, imo.

The simplest explanation is usually the best: they didn't like what they saw from Smith enough to keep him and/or they needed the spot on the PS. And Maroney's healthy enough to return kicks, if needed.

I think the real reason is the vikings took a wide reciever of
seattle ps .
They may have been after Bam. Thats why they may cut Smith

Whatever.

I'm just glad we have Bam out there, and not Brown-Caldwell-Smith!

I hope if Brady can have a good day passing with Caldwell-Brown-Childress, it will shut up those who are still whining about Branch and Givens.

Although I'm sure Gresh and Felger will come with a reason why they were totally wrong. Or at least say, "Yeah, it happened once, but it won't work a second time" or some other face-saving crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes