Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ballot question to roll back the sales tax from 6.25 to 3%.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Every few years we have a ballot question on taxes.

The last one to pass was a roll back of the state income tax from
    5.9 to 5% quite a few years ago.

Within a few months, the crooked pols, raised the income tax again.

I will be voting in favor of the roll back, like I always do.
    I am sure the unions will be spending a ton of money fighting the roll back.
    The only tax the unions don't like is the tax on unemployment benefits.

Just curious, on how everyone is planning on voting on this quesiton.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I think the increase in sales tax from 5 to 6.125% was ridiculous. That's a 25% increase!!

I wish and believe the question on the ballot SHOULD BE to roll it back to 5%. Cutting it by more than 50% may not be a good idea and I haven't made up my mind on how I'll vote...

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

I'm voting YES. Starve the pig.

4. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I keep hearing the response "but the schools!" and I give two responses to that:

1.) They're going to have to cut school spending anyway, Massachusetts is losing population.
    2.) Check out what Christie is doing in New Jersey.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

Save the children!

The hysterical cry of big government types, anytime someone mentions cutting spending or taxes. What do children have to do with $200,000 a year cops, or $500,000 a year professors at state run University's? What do children have to do with Aunti Zucchini, her free Mass Health, and subsidized apartment? What do children have to do with the Cape Wind project, the Ted Kennedy Shrine Center, or the bloated compensation packages at the MBTA? Save the children my arse. :mad:

6. mr3putt

mr3putt 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'll vote yes for any MA tax cut
    This group of thieves has run amok for way too many years.
    Any time they roll over a rock or peek under the covers another scandle is revealed
    See Probation DEPT
    Jesus Wept :mad:

7. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm with you PR, I prefer the idea of going back to 5%. I will probably vote yes here anyway since I know the vote will largely be symbolic, ain't no way they'll cut it to 3% no matter what the result of the vote is!

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I would love to "starve the pig". The pig is corrupt and getting bigger. No doubt.

Here's the problem. If I could vote for the reduction and be sure that the weakest in Massachusetts would not be the first to get porked, I would do it in a heartbeat. It is assumed by those in favor of the cut that the first in line for the ax would be those getting fat on the public tab like the turnpike, state contractors, and anyone else who heinously abuses their access to the state coffers. The reality is that the first people to get screwed will be the mentally retarded adults, family support for disabled children, homeless and mentally ill people on the street, and anyone else who has no political pull. Fat cats with contacts on Beacon Hill will be immune as usual.

I would love to see a tax cut. I pay a ton of money that goes down the toilet to pay for double pensions, debt service, and lawsuits. I would be the first in line to see those costs "go away". But we all know who will be first in line to get it when a tax cut happens.

I live in Massachusetts. I do because I love it. We have the best of everything and that costs a lot. I pay taxes (lots of them) for Mass because I know that, despite the waste and corruption (which has always been here), it's still a great place to live. We have the best sports, beaches, colleges, schools, hospitals, technology access, research facilities, etc. And we're in the middle of New England. To me, it's a trade-off for quality of life.

My opinions of the IRS are very different.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Sales tax is of course very regressive since the poor spend a greater % of their income purchasing good subject to this tax.

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes. That's true.

Maybe we should eliminate the Lottery, too.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

Huh? :confused: What kind of logic is that? So since you don't know where the cuts would be, and it might be the "weakest" that get porked, you'd much prefer to be a slave to the fat cats in capitol hill, than be a man and stand up against the gross mismanagement of our hard earned dollars. Screw that. We starve the ******* pig, cuz too many people with your mindset, have permitted this pig to grow into a the fattest of fat hogs. We starve it, and then people like you and I, demand, as we should, where & how the remaining money is spent. No more $200k a year cops. No more Auntie Zucchini and her free ride. No more Ted Kennedy Shrine Centers. No more subsidized Taj mahal schools in Newton. No more $500k a year professors at Umass. No more of our hard earned money flushed down the drain, so that deadbeats at the MBTA can retire at 23 years service, with sweetheart deals, and another 10 year of double dipping, while our sales tax jumps 25%. Starve that pig!

Either that, or chop it up, and make some fresh bacon with it. Mmmmmm...bacon...

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

At least buying the lottery ticket has the virtue of being voluntary, you tax yourself.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What they need to do first is get the state constitution amended to make it so binding referendum questions are actually binding. Cutting the sales tax to 3% would be a bad move. However in the event that it passes the pols shouldn't do what they almost certainly will do, which is ignore it or find some sleazy way around it. If the people want to put the state in a big, giant hole they ought to be allowed to, if only so they can see the error of their ways.

I intend to skip right over that question.

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Cutting taxes does not= being a man.

I didn't say that the weakest "might" be the first to get cut. It will happen. It is a fact...as much a fact as your corrrct statements about the giant school n Newton or the tax-subsidized shrines to politicians. I need to see those things stop happening (and do my best to see that happen) before I vote to repeal the tax right now. Putting the cart in front of the horse i a bad idea. There are cases and circumstances where people are helpless, alone, and at high risk. Those will be the first to get screwed. We have different priorities and ideas on how to go about them. That's all.

I never said anything about future increases, which I would oppose.

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's true.

What's also true is that the money gets redistributed to the towns based on per capita. That means the wealthy towns get wealthier because the money comes from the poorest towns. Lottery sales are much higher in poor towns but each town gets the same return regardless of how much "tax" they pay. Money goes from the poor to the rich...again.

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I will certainly vote to keep taxes as they are. In reality, I don't think the 1.25% tax increase had any negative effects, and a tax cut is going to lead to significant layoffs in a state that is ahead of most others in terms of being on the road to recovery. I don't think tax cuts are responsible without identifying specifically what will be cut. When it comes to cuts, conservatives tend to avoid specifics.

17. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Patters, is there a tax you don't like?
    At what point would you consider us taxed too much?

What do you think about Aunt Zeituni ?
    Do you think taxpayers should give this ungreatful witch a free ride
    for life, when she has never paid a dime in taxes????

It is supporting people like Aunt Zeituni who make people think that their taxes are not being spent properly.

A tax is a tax.... Income, sales, ect....

This use to be the land of the free.
    The Liberals, want to make it the land of the freeloader.

Aunt Zeituni is the queen of freeloaders.

18. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Channel 5 news at noon showed a recent poll that had the following...

46% Support a roll back of the sales tax to 3%,
    43% Want to keep the sales tax at 6.25%.
    11% Are undecided.

I want the roll back to 3%, but I know as soon as the unions start
    running their "dooms day" predictions around the clock, the poll numbers
    will change.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

I saw the same poll. I can't stress to everyone in here enough, get the word out. Talk to people about it. Talk to everyone you know about it. Tell people that they need to vote YES on 3. I've been telling everyone in my hockey leagues, on facebook, friends, family, etc. Every vote counts.