Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ballot question to eliminate the Mass income tax

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, May 13, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

It will never pass, but I am going to vote for it.

http://www.smallgovernmentact.org/

The ballot proposal comes from the Coalition for Small Government, led by one-time Libertarian candidate for governor Carla Howell. The ballot question would phase out the state income tax by cutting it in half, from 5.3 percent to 2.65 percent, in 2009 and eliminating it altogether in 2010.

An identical question got 45 percent of the vote in 2002 and carried in a number of Merrimack Valley towns, including Haverhill, Methuen and North Andover. The repeal would save the average taxpayer about $3,600 a year. It would cut $11 billion from state revenues, forcing legislators to pare back the state's $28 billion budget.

In 2000, voters passed a referendum ordering the Legislature to roll back the income tax from a "temporary" level of 5.95 percent set in 1989 to its "permanent" level of 5 percent. Lawmakers gradually reduced the rate to 5.3 percent, but froze it at that level in 2002, claiming further reductions were unaffordable.

I would rather pay higher taxes on my home, like New Hampshire residents. (Tax deduction).
    Income tax only hurts people that work, which is why our goverment likes it.
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'm all for it. Taxing the income and labor of a person is disgusting. How can you tell a man who spends all day stacking and mortaring cinderblocks that the money he gets for breaking his body should be taxed. Probably the most evil tax ever conceived of.

The revenue will still be generated in gas and sin taxes.

I would also back a bill eliminating the state lottery but allowing private lottery gaming.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't understand why this state doesn't have a progressive income tax. At any rate, given the need to maintain our infrastructure and pay for Romney's health care plan (which I hope the Democrats don't take away), we surely need to maintain some sort of tax. I think a property tax would be more progressive, since the more valuable your property, the more you pay.
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +95 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

It doesn't matter, your elected legislature will over ride the will of the people of the Commonwealth, just as they did with your previously passed propositions.

Silly people from Massachusetts, the Democrats know much better than you do, what and how to spend YOUR MONEY! Just keep on electing them!!!
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

[​IMG]

This state #$$^%^& sukcs!
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Problem with property taxes is that a lot of people are land rich but cash or job poor. It drives old people out of their houses. It destroys open spaces...apple orchards and family farms get carved up for identical little ticky tacky houses because the owners just can't afford the massive taxes (and a new one now is the view tax--so if your property is attractive, or looks out over something attractive, you pay extra).

All taxes are evil. The government(s) should learn to make do with less. But they never will. Where I live, property taxes jumped by a huge amount, and there was almost a citizen revolt, no lie. We even made the papers for a few weeks. Suddenly the selectmen discovered that there had been a computer error on the part of the people doing the assessment--even though that work had been done several years before and hadn't resulted in such an increase.

I really hate most everything about government.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

My property taxes have risen 60+% since 2002. They should be dropping soon though. Some guy who won the governorship promised they would. He'll probably drop them right after the Waltham Tourism Center is taken care of. :rolleyes: