Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ballot question on Mass. state income tax -- what are the facts?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Forgive me if there's already been a thread on this, I didn't see one. What is the balanced perspective on this? The only ads I've seen are urging people to vote no, because it would allegedly bankrupt cities and towns, schools, etc., and cause property taxes to increase. Would doing away with it really wreak havoc?

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

I don't think the state would do it. There are ways around the income tax repeal, such as by introducing a new income tax or changing the schedule of the repeal. I read somewhere that the repeal would mean a 40% cut in state government. Given the massive debt from the Big Dig that must be paid, I think the state would be in a terrible bind and there would be major layoffs of teachers, social workers, state police, road crews, etc. I would be the legislature would first cut aid to local governments and make them push up property taxes which in turn would drive real estate prices down and lead to all sorts of problems. Unless one believes this state, which already has moderate to low taxes --

(CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate) --

has 40% waste, then clearly such tax cuts are going to be felt, especially in this era when infrastructure repairs are badly needed in many areas.

3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

One "pro" argument I found online suggests that there's ample room in the state budget for cuts of non-essentials and that politicians are just trying to protect their pockets ...

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

Was it put out by a women by the last name of Powell?

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Why bother, the Mass legislature has continued to say that they are smarter than you people and know better than you how to run your livges, whatever you think is irrelevent, they will decide for you.....

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I'm voting yes, even if it means my property taxes increase as a result. Government has to be sent a message that it's citizens are fed up, and that we won't take this **** anymore. They're crying about having to make cuts, yet earlier this year, when tax receipts were higher than they anticipated, they decided to tack on more erroneous spending onto the state budget. Please! Cry me a ******* river. Vote YES!

Here's a look back to May of this year. All of a sudden, the state has to make these deep cuts, yada, yada, yada....well, are they going to tell me they didn't know they would need to be frugle a few months ago? Vote Yes!

Give me a ******* break.

7. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 7 / -4

#24 Jersey

I thought Mass. had their grubby little paws out for a cookie from their kind-hearted Uncle Sam? Tax cut? Haha. Not in this lifetime.

8. woolster22

woolster22 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +327 / 8 / -13

correct me if I'm wrong:
    Romney had cut ~400mil fromo budget since it was going red.
    Taxes came back ~40mil better than expected, Romney therefore added ~35mil back
    Patrick (aka chocolate chucklehead, or cc, or cadillac patrick, cp) is elected
    CC/P decides remaining 350mil or so needs to be added back so life wont be too hard for those in need.
    O ****-1.5bil hole, along with 600mil in some strange side pot supposed to be covered by capital gains-oops.

If they can't balance their checkbook with all the money they yank from my check (why is medicaid still being pulled if this state has mandated that EVERYONE needs to be covered pr they take it in the shorts come tax time?), they can learn how to do it without any of it. Why do state employees need health insurance for life? Why do I drive by 6 cops over a 1/2 mile stretch of 190/290 (right near end of 190 in worc.) at 1am? Do they really need to make sure people see the big orange cones and don't hit the highway workers, and could they really do anything to prevent it in the firsthand? On top of that, they are collecting overtime on top of their 60k? salary...but theres no fat in the budget, he's cutting "deep into muscle" i believe the quote sorta goes (bit in the globe). All the while he's putting in 10k drapes, and buying a caddy to drive him around. Drop a cop or two from most larger towns throughout mass and you can save a boatload, and would it really be missed? Its not like they are all on duty at the same time...When there are 0 elected officials making more than the state avg income, and having comparable beni's to those in the private sector, I will agree there is no fat to cut...but this isnt the case.

It is time to show the gov't we are fed up with 0 results. They all talk the talk, but they all seemed to have forgot how to get anything accomplished. I take that back, they put the bail out through...the second time. How about immigration reform? Thinking outside the box with struggling school systems? Maybe a tad less corruption, although I know thats asking a lot.

Step outside of mass and into the fed area and it gets scarier. In past administrations, wars were almost completely funded through the pentagon budget. Surprise! Not anymore! Most of the wars in iraq/afghanistan are being funded via emergency funding bills. And more often than not they are fat laiden bills calling for money to pay contractors. when you tally all of these up and throw in the pentagon's budget, the wars are in reality costing US upwards of 1 TRILLION per year. WTF!? I think its time to start cash rewards for dead politicians...well, maybe thats extreme, but how about a bit of probing into their personal finances and we lock the worst offenders up and let prison life set them straight. Lets be honest, thats where most of these clowns belong.

Eh...thats my rant

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

MA is a special case. I couldn't say specifically that the 5.3% they claim from everyone is right. But MA's leaders don't think in terms of collecting what they need, they think in terms of collecting as much as they can get, and that's wrong.

I could care less which way the ballot question goes, after the seat-belt question fiasco I gave up on Beacon Hill and have voted against the incumbent in every election since. What we need here in MA is a Constitutional Amendment that compels the legislature to actually pay attention to what the voters decide on these ballot questions.

10. woolster22

woolster22 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +327 / 8 / -13

:ditto:
    Thank you

11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's how I'm looking at it too, at least so far.

12. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Here's my question: how is this question's fate going to be affected by Deval Patrick's announced budget cuts yesterday?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

A-Fu*****-men. ;)

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Considering that the current governor has added 2,000 employees to the state payrolls since he was elected, and is laying off only 1,000, I'd hope it has no effect. People still need to vote YES.