PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ball Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
In watching the Broncos running on that Colts D, it didn't seem like the Broncos controlled the game. It almost looked like Indy let Bell run so they could get Peyton back onto the feild.

Sometimes football is not about scoring all the points you can. It is about controlling the other team to play the game you want. We need to control the Colts.

Here are some thoughts on controling this weekend's game:

1. Keep the defense off of the feild and rested so they can weather they storm in the fourth quarter by slowing down the offense.

2. Slow the offense way down using the play clock up on each down.

3. Stay out of the no huddle unless we are behind.

4. Keep a solid rotation of RB to keep them all fresh. I honestly think we could come close to running on every down and still go 80 yards for a score. I also do not think it matters what RB has the ball, the Colts D is just that bad.

5. A solid dose of Dillon and Evans can wear out the Dline in the first half and Lomo/Faulk can burn that Dline in the second half. I do not how Pass will play into the mix if he is active.

NEM said:
While it seems like we WILL be able to run on the Colts...I disagree with that thought process, in part.

The one thing you dont want to do with the Colts is end up in a close game with them. Most of the time when that happens,. with the type of offense they have, and the fact that they allow Manning to control it...they are capable of scoring at any time...even against us. Look at how they marched on Denver, allegedly a superb defensive team.

If we keep the game close, byu attemtpting to control the clock, just one mistake by us can be a killer.... and the Colts DO know how to, and most of the time they do, take advantage of it.

IMO, we need to get a good jump onthe COlts, outsmart them, go for a quick lead, extend it, go for the early jugular, and then we hae them playing into our hands.

Try to keep it close by killing clock...it plays into their hands.

I may disagree with everything you post(I don't) but your game plan worked perfectly sunday:D
All hail to our New OC.:p

NEM said:
IMO, we need to get a good jump on the Colts, outsmart them, go for a quick lead, extend it, go for the early jugular, and then we have them playing into our hands.
That's usually what we do, come out throwing, try to get a lead and make them one dimensional.

HAMMERMILL said:
I may disagree with everything you post(I don't) but your game plan worked perfectly sunday:D
All hail to our New OC.:p
Bah, that wasn't NEM's gameplan. NEM hates the empty backfield. ;)

T-ShirtDynasty said:

No comment-
Cracked me up:p

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Right, how can you run play-action?

Digger44 said:
In watching the Broncos running on that Colts D, it didn't seem like the Broncos controlled the game. It almost looked like Indy let Bell run so they could get Peyton back onto the feild.

Sometimes football is not about scoring all the points you can. It is about controlling the other team to play the game you want. We need to control the Colts.

1. Keep the defense off of the feild and rested so they can weather they storm in the fourth quarter by slowing down the offense.

4. Keep a solid rotation of RB to keep them all fresh. I honestly think we could come close to running on every down and still go 80 yards for a score. I also do not think it matters what RB has the ball, the Colts D is just that bad.

5. A solid dose of Dillon and Evans can wear out the Dline in the first half and Lomo/Faulk can burn that Dline in the second half. I do not how Pass will play into the mix if he is active.

I agree with Digger. I think this is what the Jags did when they had the ball for a huge amount of the time in their game vs Indy. They had the ball for 40 minutes of the game, the only problem was they didn't finish on a couple of their long drives. They score on their first, which was 7 1/2 minutes, but they had a drive of 9 minutes in which they missed a FG. We just need to finish off the really long drives, which is something Tom can do and Fat Albert can't.

I say score early and a lot. Whether it is with the run or the pass, either way keeps Payton of the field. Do not keep the game close it could bit the pats in the ars. The d must be on top of Payton all night long don’t let up. Pressure him don’t let him sit there, if they do he will kill any team even the vaulted Bears.:rolleyes: Yea vaulted Bears.” I don’t think so.” Any how run or pass I don't care just score and keep them out of the end zone. If they do the Pats will win:)

Last edited:
Digger44 said:
How would letting Bell run give Indy back the ball? Wouldn't STOPPING the Broncos and making them punt get the ball back quicker? Letting Bell knock off ten yards at a clip just delayed the time before they got the ball back. If they did what you say, they would just let Bell run into the endzone, and we know that didn't happen. He didn't run for a TD every time he handled the ball, so they must have tackled him some of the times.

I guess you could say the Colts did control the game if they had defensive plans that said, "Let Bell run, but not for a score, only for 11 yards, then tackle him." They could have different signals for how many yards they allowed Bell to get. "CATS LIVES" meant nine yards. "BOXCARS" meant six yards on this play and six on the next play. VEGAS FIRST = seven yards, and VEGAS SECOND = eleven yards. Stuff like that.

That is how Indy could control the game using Denver's running. Otherwise, I have to say that Denver controlled the running game.

Digger44 said:

This might be the single WORST piece of writing that i have ever read. EVER. That's how bad this is. I can't even think of anything worse. And that includes proofreading idiot classmates' papers all throughout junior high and high school. That is how bad you write. Your ideas have the value of a wet fart.

brady2brown said:
How would letting Bell run give Indy back the ball? Wouldn't STOPPING the Broncos and making them punt get the ball back quicker? Letting Bell knock off ten yards at a clip just delayed the time before they got the ball back. If they did what you say, they would just let Bell run into the endzone, and we know that didn't happen. He didn't run for a TD every time he handled the ball, so they must have tackled him some of the times.

That is how Indy could control the game using Denver's running. Otherwise, I have to say that Denver controlled the running game.

Did you even watch the game??? The last 10 minutes were some of the most exciting football you will see all year. And ummm actually Bell did get the ball and ran anywhere he wanted in the last 10 minutes. Bell was knocking off 20+ a clip. The majority of his yards came in the second half.
Indy knows that 99.9% of the time they will win in a shootout and let it happen with Denver. Before you make a comment that "We know" what didn't happen try watching the game to see what did happen. Give me a break.

Digger44 said:
Did you even watch the game??? The last 10 minutes were some of the most exciting football you will see all year. And ummm actually Bell did get the ball and ran anywhere he wanted in the last 10 minutes. Bell was knocking off 20+ a clip. The majority of his yards came in the second half.
Indy knows that 99.9% of the time they will win in a shootout and let it happen with Denver. Before you make a comment that "We know" what didn't happen try watching the game to see what did happen. Give me a break.

Digger, I think that he meant that no team, not even the Colts, willing lets a player run down the field because they want a game to be a "shoot-out". It just doesn't happen.

Oswlek said:
Digger, I think that he meant that no team, not even the Colts, willing lets a player run down the field because they want a game to be a "shoot-out". It just doesn't happen.

Digger, for somebody that monitors this site relentlessly for any hint of alledged stupidity, you are coming up with a pretty weak point. No, Indy doesn't allow people to score, or they would just leave their D on the sidelines and not risk injury.

Yeah, they win shoot outs because they don't have a good D, and they are geared around O. Clearly.

But they aren't going to 'let' us score so they can have the ball back.

I agree that your game plan makes sense, and I think the Pats usually try hard to play ball control offense against the Colts.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Digger, for somebody that monitors this site relentlessly for any hint of alledged stupidity, you are coming up with a pretty weak point. No, Indy doesn't allow people to score, or they would just leave their D on the sidelines and not risk injury.

Yeah, they win shoot outs because they don't have a good D, and they are geared around O. Clearly.

But they aren't going to 'let' us score so they can have the ball back.

I agree that your game plan makes sense, and I think the Pats usually try hard to play ball control offense against the Colts.

I am not claiming that the Colts did it intentionally, that is why I used words suck as "seem" and "almost looked like" to make a point. If some yahoo wants to stand up an claim the I said that the Colts lay down on D to score, than thats his own stupidity. However think of this. Do they really strive to hold the opposing defense? Does Dungy scheme a defensive plan that will beat the opposing team each week like BB? It is almost as if the Colts have the attitude of "who cares that you scored, you can't stand with us toe to toe." Like I said the will win the slugfest 99.9% of the time. Here is an example. Foreman vs Ali. Foreman was bigger, stronger, and could kill anyone toe to toe. Ali controlled the fight his way and Big George fell because Ali was in control the whole time. Here is the application. The Colts want to stand toe to toe and shoot it out. Even if they knock their opponent out in the first quarter they do not stop. The way to win is to control the ball. I do not understand how some of you interpreted my statement of "control the ball" as "do not score." We do need to score often. If we take four or five 7+ minute drives into the fourth quarter our defense will be rested to weather the storm. If we stand in toe to toe, our defense will be exhausted by the end of the third quarter. That is the point. Not like some yahoo suggested that the Colts lay over on defense.

I think we try to play keep away whenever we play the Colts, but this year we have an honest run game without having to get fumbly Faulk too involved.

Some games have been tight because of our lack of a consistent run game.

Between the 20s, both teams will move the ball at will. How we get to the red zone is insignificant. As long as we get touchdowns when we get there and hold them to field goals, it won't matter if we hold the ball for 40 minutes or 20 minutes.

We're number 1 in the league in red zone O, and their inability to stop the run and related vulnerability against playaction should only accentuate our strength in that regard.

Obviously we will try to duplicate the PO game where Corey ran the ball and we kept Peyton on the (cold) bench.

Denver could have won that game had they not committed a turnover deep in their own territory AND not left the Colts with all that time at the end of the game. They also seemed to be afraid of giving up the big play and didn't have their normal aggressive defensive attitude.

Same thing for the Jets for that matter. Had they simply scored on a long drive rather than a kick-off return they very well may have pulled off the upset.

I believe that they kept Neal & Graham out for this game. If needed they would have played but were not critical to the game plan for MN. Keeping it simple for the rookies on the right side of the line. "Just pass block the big fat DT kid" No need for pulling or anything complicated. Neal & Graham will be back this Sunday. Smashmouth football. Long drives. How many times did Corey touch the ball last week? I think he will be rested, ticked off and ready for some payback from last years embarrassment.

Our D should be able to slow down the Colts O. The Colts D could be one of the worst to take the field this year. Adding the DT from TB non-withstanding. This Colts team reminds me of the team that played against the Chiefs a few years back. No D all O. Could not stop the Chiefs even once.

Last edited:
Digger44 said:

I agree with your basic point. To beat Indy, we have to control the clock. Just like in 2004. Lets run the ball with Cory. Get those 3-5 yard chunks and take time off the clock. Denver lost that game on their last drive.

Last year, nobody expected the Pats to win that game. Indy was flying high and we were down low. Heck, the week before, Kelly Holcumb looked great. Our defense was playing like poop, and everybody knew it. My feeling is that this game, may be exactly like the playoff game in 2004.

mosi said:
I agree with your basic point. To beat Indy, we have to control the clock. Just like in 2004. Lets run the ball with Cory. Get those 3-5 yard chunks and take time off the clock. Denver lost that game on their last drive.

Add to that throwing short passes. Keep the chains moving. Avoid 3rd and long as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes