PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bakes mock v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I like your second round.
I agree the pats need to improve the O-line, so I wouldn't mind if they draft one.

Austin Lane- Great pick, a semi-binky on this forum.

Dexter Mccluster- I love this player and was stunned he fell to #91 in the forum mock draft, but where would he play here for 2nd round value? We're stacked at slot WR with Welker/Edelman. Faulk is the 3rd down back. Just wondering how you see him here?

Great Job Bakes!!:rocker:

I am so on the fence about Ordrick. He is the classic boom or bust prospect and I fear that he will be the latter.

I agree 100%. Odrick has the measurables, but is weak in the bench press and his tape is not overwhelming. He has that look of boom or bust.

I couldn't agree less. He seems to be the solid-workmanlike, non-flashy variety. Now a guy like Carrington, there's a boom-or-bust.

He has had a history of going hot and cold and some draft guru's question if he will be dedicated once he get's his bonus.

I know there is a lot of love for guy here as there was for Barwin last year. But I'd rather take Tyson Alualu in the 2nd and I'd feel better about that pick than Ordrick in the 1st.

Actually I'm hoping that we use OUR first rounder next year and move up to get McClain if he falls below 13 and get a 3rd and maybe a 5th this year.

Overall I like your second round.
I agree the pats need to improve the O-line, so I wouldn't mind if they draft one.

Austin Lane- Great pick, a semi-binky on this forum.

Dexter Mccluster- I love this player and was stunned he fell to #91 in the forum mock draft, but where would he play here for 2nd round value? We're stacked at slot WR with Welker/Edelman. Faulk is the 3rd down back. Just wondering how you see him here?

Stacking the slot only works consistently if you have downfield threats to keep the defense from stacking the box.

Stacking the slot only works consistently if you have downfield threats to keep the defense from stacking the box.

Hence I was asking Bakes how he sees Mccluster here. Gilyard would make alot more sense.

Well for now I see him filling in for Welker while he recovers, but longterm I see him replacing Faulk's role after this season.

I know there is a lot of love for guy here as there was for Barwin last year. But I'd rather take Tyson Alualu in the 2nd and I'd feel better about that pick than Ordrick in the 1st.

It's funny, the emergence of Odrick as the board favorite feels really different to me than last year with Barwin & friends. It's as if everybody has concluded he's the sensible choice, so fine. But nobody's excited about it. (I actually suspect that Odrick will be gone before 22, causing widespread shredding of mocks.)

As for Alualu -- I love the player, I wish I could get on board, but I really worry about his effectiveness in the role given his lack of length, particularly the very short arms.

Yeah, for me it isn't the position so much as the personality. Adding another WR with maturity question marks that high in the draft seems like playing with fire.

Very good point:bricks:

Yeah, for me it isn't the position so much as the personality. Adding another WR with maturity question marks that high in the draft seems like playing with fire.

If he is there at #22 and we pass on him, all I have to say:

We will be the Dallas Cowboys and Randy Moss, I'm positive.

Last edited:

While Randy's certainly lost a step I still think he can be a downfield threat on occasion. I do like us drafting a Marcus Easley or David Gettis in the latter half of the draft.

If he is there at #22 and we pass on him, all I have to say:

We will be the Dallas Cowboys and Randy Moss, I'm positive.

Except Randy Moss ran a 4.25, scored 54 TDs in 2 years in college, and was already tearing up the NFL at 21. Dez is nowhere near Moss.

Wow. Do not like the second round. If there's a more over-rated player on this board than Austin Lane, I'm not sure who it is. He's a 7th round gamble/priority free agent in my book.

I don't see Calloway as a fit here either...too stiff....and at least two rounds too early.

McCluster's OK, but I don't think he's a second round value...especially with Best/Gilyard still on the board.

Great effort, we'll just agree to disagree.

I really, really was disappointed by the round 2 picks for the Pats as well. It's like a nightmare scenario.

Austen Lane with our first 2nd rounder -- Reach.

McCluster over Jahvid Best? No f'n way! You said small backs are bad, yet you pick a scrawny 170 lbs back over a 200 lbs speed demon?

And Calloway who? Guard is not an early need with the Neal resigning. There are bigger needs to be filled!

Last edited:

Yeah, they'd be guaranteeing more money to Bryant than they are apparently willing to guarantee to Brandon. It just doesn't quite add up to me.

Denver at 11 is a puzzler to me. They Jamal Williams and Ron Fields may mean Dan Williams is not an option. First rounders last year on Moreno and Ayers makes me doubt RB and OLB are an option. They have franchise tackles in Clady and Harris. Too early for a guard or center. Haden would be a possibility if available. Quinn precludes Claussen. They drafted two safeties last year who showed well behind Dawkins and ???. Maybe Odrick goes early?

It's funny, the emergence of Odrick as the board favorite feels really different to me than last year with Barwin & friends. It's as if everybody has concluded he's the sensible choice, so fine. But nobody's excited about it. (I actually suspect that Odrick will be gone before 22, causing widespread shredding of mocks.)

As for Alualu -- I love the player, I wish I could get on board, but I really worry about his effectiveness in the role given his lack of length, particularly the very short arms.

His arms are 33 compared to Odrick's at 34. Odricks hands are smaller.:D

But what I like about him amongst other things is "very instinctive, versatile, outstanding football intelligence and fits team like the Ravens, jets and Patriots" according to the Pro Football Weekly draft guide. Other guides have given him the same type of evaluations.

Measurables are great but in the end they are drafting football players. Ordrick could be the best player but the more I read about him the more little nagging questions seem to pop up.

A few issues:

• Ryan Mathews is not a small back, he's 220lbs.
  • Brian Price is a 4-3 DT realistically, the Chargers take Cody at DT over him since Dan Williams is off the board. Unless they take Mathews, that is, who they love.
  • Given that Miami picked up Karlos Dansby in free agency, I don't think the McClain pick makes sense. The choice is WR/OLB/S, someone like Sergio Kindle or Earl Thomas might be a good fit.
  • I don't like the Steelers taking Brandon Graham, they have to take a OL (Iupati or Pouncey?) or a ILB. They are fairly set at OLB with Harrison and Woodley, I don't see a need for a 1st rounder there.
  • The Texans don't really need linemen, they got Wade Smith in free agency. Defensive backs are a must have.

Otherwise fairly solid, although I don't like Tebow to Arizona. Good effort :)

Last edited:
Denver at 11 is a puzzler to me. They Jamal Williams and Ron Fields may mean Dan Williams is not an option. First rounders last year on Moreno and Ayers makes me doubt RB and OLB are an option. They have franchise tackles in Clady and Harris. Too early for a guard or center. Haden would be a possibility if available. Quinn precludes Claussen. They drafted two safeties last year who showed well behind Dawkins and ???. Maybe Odrick goes early?

My best bet: Denver threatens to take McClain, then trades down w/NYG for #15 + 3rd rounder. Giants pick McClain @ 11, Denver takes Odrick @ 15.

His arms are 33 compared to Odrick's at 34. Odricks hands are smaller.:D

But what I like about him amongst other things is "very instinctive, versatile, outstanding football intelligence and fits team like the Ravens, jets and Patriots" according to the Pro Football Weekly draft guide. Other guides have given him the same type of evaluations.

Measurables are great but in the end they are drafting football players. Ordrick could be the best player but the more I read about him the more little nagging questions seem to pop up.

As I say, I love the player and I want to get on board with that. But charts of numbers aside, I look at Alualu and I just don't see the kind of DE Belichick drafts. (BTW, I'm not thrilled with Odrick, either. :()

As I say, I love the player and I want to get on board with that. But charts of numbers aside, I look at Alualu and I just don't see the kind of DE Belichick drafts. (BTW, I'm not thrilled with Odrick, either. :()

He's a 4-3 DT, it just fits his size, height, speed and skills. Have you seen his 40 time? I reckon Alualu goes to the Raiders in the 2nd round.

My best bet: Denver threatens to take McClain, then trades down w/NYG for #15 + 3rd rounder. Giants pick McClain @ 11, Denver takes Odrick @ 15.

I think Denver really ought to take McClain for themselves. They have 2 ILBs on the roster, only 1 with any real experience.

You could make the argument that no team needs any position worse than Denver needs an inside linebacker.

I think McClain to Denver and Cody to Kansas City are the two locks in this draft.

I think Denver really ought to take McClain for themselves. They have 2 ILBs on the roster, only 1 with any real experience.

You could make the argument that no team needs any position worse than Denver needs an inside linebacker.

I think McClain to Denver and Cody to Kansas City are the two locks in this draft.

Barring a trade down, I expect Denver to take McClain too. I'm surprised how few mocks follow that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes