Welcome to PatsFans.com

Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Feb 17, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +271 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city | Reuters

A blast wall is damage? Don't they prevent damage? Go sue the insurgents.

They've got balls. How do you say "f**k off" in Arabic?

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Just think if we did not have a president and his merry bunch of neo cons that lied to us, then this would not be discussed..

Instead this debacle cost us over 3 trillion dollars, and they want more.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Also 4000+ American soldiers.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Screw them ... and screw all of them ... no payments and no more foreign aid ... none.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The thing that keeps coming back to me, is this president and his merry bunch of neo cons were some of the biggest draft dodgers of the Vietnam era.
    Oh yea, the intelligence that they cherry picked said Saddam had WMD's. One of the pickings was from a guy named "Curveball"!

Yea, one more thing. Last year, when people began suggesting that George W. Bush was the worst President in our history, people would defend that by saying it takes decades to evaluate a presidency. Well, one year later and it is not looking any better. My guess is, as time goes on, more damaging evidence will surface and we can circumvent the decade theory.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Militarily what's the difference between Bush and Obama?

Bush bungled Afghanistan and Plundered Iraq.

Obama is Afghanistan redux and he also willingly lets our men be killed by the same intelligence people in Pakistan that he sends money to. Pakistan is in our pocket big time and they aid the Taliban who kill our men ... i'm missing something on that one.

So what's the difference between Obama and Bush?

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +226 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

O'bama DIDN'T Start any Wars.....get it. Bush LIED to get us in a war U-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D??? If he hadn't Lied we won't be having this conversation, Capish?

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Ummm ... we all know this.

But for anyone to think there's a difference between the two is just blocking out the obvious. Obama would not start a war like that ... but he knowingly supports a state that has a hand in killing our men. I expected more from him ... he is no different - just uses different methods is all.

Absolutely we would be having this conversation ... just not about a dumb wall.

9. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uggh. No one bytched when he took a $15B D of Ed and blew it up into a $90B disaster. No one bythed when he stripped us of our rights to protection from illegal search and seizure. No one bytched when he added the brutal insult of the increased medicaid burdon. Where is the outrage there?

Afghanistan was clearly at the outset a defensive war, and clearly he was in his constitutional right to do something there. Unfortunately, his prosecution of that war was a nightmare. A disaster.

Iraq, as I have stated before, was his attempt at preventing Israel from attacking them for the same terrorist threats we faced on 9/11. That was a pure error. He should have never let Sharon blackmail him like that. I posted this years ago to try to spurn the real debate here. But I ran into the same stuff I read now. Bush should have told Sharon he was on his own in Iraq, but the US would support them if it confligrated into a regional conflict. It was their war to fight. He screwed up. He did that well.

I do think of a post Israeli war in Iraq. I have no clue what that would have brought. I do think we should have found out. Its not up to us to fight everyone elses battles for them.

edit: I had no idea that bytch is a bad word here.

And as others have said, Obama has not distinguished himself in anyway here either.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

While I agree that there is no huge difference in their views, doubt that Obama would have fabricated evidence to lead us to a war that cost us 3 trillion dollars..

Have felt all along that Afghanistan is a no win situation, and he inherited this mess.. unfortunately those who really control this country have a vested interest in perpetuating this endless war.

11. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Remember all the stupid people touting the Texas oilmans war for oil? Well, where is the fcking oil? Oh, we didn't actually go to war for oil? Okay, well then Iraq can pay for the damages themselves and as far as I am concerned they all can go choke on their new found freedom.

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I agree and also I don't think he would ever launch a war ... even like Afghanistan.

Still think he could just pull out ... save money there and we could tell Pakistan to get lost also.

13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I was one of the few who screamed for no attack on Afghanistan. I knew it would lead to iraq and it would also keep our military closer to the Caspian Sea area ... all about that energy pipeline ... trying to beat Russia's pipeline at the time.

14. shirtsleeve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Action was justified in Afghanistan. I do not think the prosecution was handled well. The military could have finished the job in Tora Bora by vaporizing the entire area with fuel air explosives when the Taliban and AQ were hidden in those caves. Then they could have left.

Believe it or not, and probably not, those wars were not related in the ways you think. In fact, Cheny gave a speech to the Pan American conference stating their plans for a Pan American Union, like the EU was unfortunately postponed due to the events after 9/11. I had a link here of his speech, along with numerous Mossad links concerning Iraq back in 06/07.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I posted this link as some of my reason for no Afghanistan War ... among other things the report specifically states we needed a military presence in southeast Asia.

I've posted it a few other times and I post it again, drafted in 1999 but it was discussed in the Clinton years.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf

also there was the "Clean Break" report from 1996

16. shirtsleeve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just skimmed through the report to see who commissioned it. Do you know who that was? I cannot find reference to funding or authorization by the POTUS or Congress?:confused:

17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

What's the difference between Bush and Obama militarily?
    Well (in your best Ron Reagan voice), one invaded another country for the first time in U.S history for reasons unknown. This President, who had a baseball background, used hearsay from an informer by the name of "curveball". This president constantly talked up his actions with words like "bring them on", and "mission accomplished". If our soldiers and thousands of Iraqs hadn't died it would be too f'n funny.
    The other President, ran his presidential campaign on getting out of Iraq and fighting in Afganistan. I am opposed to being in either country. But, never in would I associate one President with the other, regardless how I felt about Obama.

18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,357 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

But you left out Pakistan tribal lands and the hundreds of people he has killed and who knows how many innocents - we will never know. he is creating terrorists as Bush did. There's less differences if you look below the lipstick. We're told they are terrorists - but they aren't getting a trial - they are just being killed. While that is happening we are giving Pakistan money and they help the Taliban behind our back kill our men.

I could go on and on ... they are either both evil or both puppets.

19. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The US had been messing around in Central/South Asia before 9/11. Clinton was trying hard to run a pipeline through Afghanistan (as opposed to the Iranian option being floated around), and initially saw the Taliban as the force necessary for the kind of stability that American oil companies wanted. Daddy Bush sided against the atheist communists in favor of the Islamic fundamentalists in the days after the Soviet withdrawal, on advice from Pakistan's ISI....hrmmm. Reagan threw money blindly at the ISI, who funded the most anti-American/Western forces there. We've been ******* up in that country for a long time.

Side note: India loves what we're doing there. We've put a bit of a stake through Pakistan's "strategic depth". Pakistan needs a loyal, Islamic-based government in Kabul; or at least sympathetic forces there. Do the math and you'll realize it's a bad situation for us.

As for Baghdad seeing $1B...don't think that will happen; at least not through publicly observable channels. Besides, I'm sure Iran would be happy the supply the money. :rolleyes:

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Could not agree more, this along with closing most of the 700 overseas bases.. that would make a huge dent in our budget woes, and funnel a lot of cash back into the US..

Unfortunately, the shot callers from the military industrial complex will never let this happen, as it is in their vested interest to continue these wars and continue their war profiteering...