PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bad Draft Risks

That article makes me think twice about Brandon Merriweather.

Yeah, sadly, me too. Wouldn't ya love him, AD, and Vrabel on one defense though, assuming the "due dilligence" turnes up a salvageable prospect?

That article makes me think twice about Brandon Merriweather.

why? few of these guys had substance abuse problems..alcohol or drugs. Meriweather has never been suspended for that

I was watching NFL Netweork's "Welcome to the NFL, Rookie" from a few years ago. It featured David Carr, Joey Harrington and (OT) Mike Williams.

Bust, bust and bust. Funny stuff.

Prediction on this years busts: (ie...The Jonanthan Sullivan Award Nominees).

Alan Branch
Adam Carriker
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye

IMHO, a hugely overated group of DL's this draft.

also

Leon Hall-This guy is NOT Ty Law.
Beason-Overrated by design

I had almost forgotten about Cecil Collins. 15 years for burglary? Wow, he must of been a bust. If he was a good NFL player he probably would of gotten only 4 months served from FEB to May.

I think the knocks on him are size (under 5'10, 195 lb - but whattayawant, he's a safety...) and on-field "off field" issues, i.e., character/maturity. Unfortunately for Merriweather, most people remember him for swinging his helmet around at other players during the Miami Melee. You don't think that makes you pull some game tapes, and see if he's a little on the emotional side? Start looking real hard at pouting, or disagreements w/coaches on sidelines? In other words, you vet the choice, and figure out whether the outburst -- or taking part in the mass outburst -- was an aberration, or whether he's "just that kinda guy."

Hey, Sean Taylor was a much more highly-touted safety coming out of college than Merriweather... would you want him?

What we know: Merriweather had a moment of madness. What we don't know, and maybe BB/SP et al. are currently finding out: uh, does he get in scrapes in night clubs? Does he carry a gun? Any reputation for substance abuse? Etc.

One thing is certain -- if Merriweather had put himself in the middle of that scrum and tried to contain a guy or two, the NFL personnel planning draft selections would be saying "that is a man."

I know that's demanding something way past most kids in an us vs. them mob scene. But being the guy swinging his helmet does not translate to leadership on an NFL level - at least the way the Pats play the game.

Just edited to say: but its a good sign they've worked him out twice now, if I remember correctly... like us, they have to be salivating over the versatility. Hey, if they trust him (say, at 28...) so do I. Hell, they might even get him in the 2nd round, if they pull something to move their second rounder up a few notches.

PFnV

Last edited:
I think the knocks on him are size (under 5'10, 195 lb - but whattayawant, he's a safety...) and on-field "off field" issues, i.e., character/maturity. Unfortunately for Merriweather, most people remember him for swinging his helmet around at other players during the Miami Melee. You don't think that makes you pull some game tapes, and see if he's a little on the emotional side? Start looking real hard at pouting, or disagreements w/coaches on sidelines? In other words, you vet the choice, and figure out whether the outburst -- or taking part in the mass outburst -- was an aberration, or whether he's "just that kinda guy."

Hey, Sean Taylor was a much more highly-touted safety coming out of college than Merriweather... would you want him?

What we know: Merriweather had a moment of madness. What we don't know, and maybe BB/SP et al. are currently finding out: uh, does he get in scrapes in night clubs? Does he carry a gun? Any reputation for substance abuse? Etc.

One thing is certain -- if Merriweather had put himself in the middle of that scrum and tried to contain a guy or two, the NFL personnel planning draft selections would be saying "that is a man."

I know that's demanding something way past most kids in an us vs. them mob scene. But being the guy swinging his helmet does not translate to leadership on an NFL level - at least the way the Pats play the game.

Just edited to say: but its a good sign they've worked him out twice now, if I remember correctly... like us, they have to be salivating over the versatility. Hey, if they trust him (say, at 28...) so do I. Hell, they might even get him in the 2nd round, if they pull something to move their second rounder up a few notches.

PFnV

The problem is he didn't swing any helmets. He was the less than successful stomp on head andbody guy.

Not that his actions were excusable, but he is getting a much worse reputation than he deserves.

Oh crap. Scratch that. I thought he was the helmet guy.

Hey who is that guy? Is he available? :bricks:

PFnV

Prediction on this years busts: (ie...The Jonanthan Sullivan Award Nominees).

Alan Branch
Adam Carriker
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye

IMHO, a hugely overated group of DL's this draft.

also

Leon Hall-This guy is NOT Ty Law.
Beason-Overrated by design

No offense, but you are out of your gourd. Completely insane with this stuff.

Adams, Carriker and Branch will be busts? You must have stolen Rickie's gonja pipe. Or are you buddy's with Onterrio Smith and Odell Thurman?

Leon Hall I agree is not ty Law. However, He will not be a bust. I am warming up to Merriweather, however not on day 1.

Oh crap. Scratch that. I thought he was the helmet guy.

Hey who is that guy? Is he available? :bricks:

PFnV

hes also over 5"10..hes close to 5"11

Jamaal Anderson I could see as a boom/bust player. Listening to Russell on a preview of sunday conversation. Not the brightest bulb on the planet.

David Carr.... no OL Help.

hes also over 5"10..hes close to 5"11

And the size knock wouldn't even make sense if he's only supposed to be a DB... especially were he a CB not safety. He "plays bigger" anyway.

But it might influence your dreamed-of versatility in NFL terms, if you see what I mean. I'm pretty sure you can't get away with lining him up as a D-lineman for instance... and ILB would be quite a gamble as well (although as a coverage LB, no biggie...)

Point is, his size will affect your ability to use his versatility more than it would back at da U.

PFnV

No offense, but you are out of your gourd. Completely insane with this stuff.

Adams, Carriker and Branch will be busts? You must have stolen Rickie's gonja pipe. Or are you buddy's with Onterrio Smith and Odell Thurman?

Watch and learn my friend. You'll be asking me to shape your draft board next year.

DaBruinz will be giving me DaApology after the season.

You'll be popping bong hits trying to decipher my prowess at talent evaluation.

Call it a gift.

And the size knock wouldn't even make sense if he's only supposed to be a DB... especially were he a CB not safety. He "plays bigger" anyway.

But it might influence your dreamed-of versatility in NFL terms, if you see what I mean. I'm pretty sure you can't get away with lining him up as a D-lineman for instance... and ILB would be quite a gamble as well (although as a coverage LB, no biggie...)

Point is, his size will affect your ability to use his versatility more than it would back at da U.

PFnV

Here's that fight....again.

I don't know who #26 is, but Merriweather is #19, looking like he's trying to put out a flaming bag of dog poop left on his porch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37S9ZxHhUpM

26 is Anthony Reddick ;p

Leon Hall I agree is not ty Law. However, He will not be a bust. I am warming up to Merriweather, however not on day 1.

Not on day 1? Well then you can kiss him goodbye, because right now he's looking like a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back