PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Backup RB compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
When the CBA gets resolved, Beoli will turn to what they do best, building and patching a Super bowl contender together.

Last year amidst the injuries the Patriots high command entered the season fairly thin at RB. The front liners were solid but the backups were marginal and they only carries four altogether in the season opener. Cobbs failed, another was two developmental types were taken in the final cutdowns by other clubs.

And then the first stringers were all banged up over the season.

As can be expected in such circumstnaces the running game went South. So the Patriots need to add depth or bring in new frontliners. In this defensive draft there are no real talents that fit the Patriots power game. Even Lendale White, the sole power back, turns out to be fat and out of shape, a bad omen to spend a high pick on.

So will they will patch and make do until the 2007 draft when they can restock from a long and attractive list of potential draftees. or maybe they'll stand pat. Or maybe a complete rebuild.

What are the patching materials likely available?

Lower cost patches

Steve Davis 6-0" 230# 3/74 4-1000s, 4.1 yard avg. FA

Mike Anderson 6-0" 230# 9/73 2-1000s, 4.4 yard avg. FA

Higher cost patches/replacements

Edge James 6'0" 214# 8/78 5-1000s 4.2 yard avg FA

Shaun Alexander 5'11" 225# 8/77 5-1000s. 4.6 yard avg. FA

Jamal Lewis 5'11" 235# 8/79 4-1000s 4.4 yard avg FA (& murder)

Trade possibilities

Duece McCalister 6'1" 232# 12/78 3-1000s 4.3 yard avg. NO rights

Ricky Williams 5-10 228# 5/77 4-1000s 4.0 yard avg MI rightsd (& druggie susp)

Others: Antowain Smith, Curtis Martin, Priest Holmes, etc

Please - Put on your Beoli hats and tell me what you do and reasons why...

Last edited:
Kevin Faulk? Patrick Pass? I didn't know they suddenly vanished into thin air.

Patrick Pass tore it up before he almost tore his hamstring. Kevin Faulk has been an excellent 3rd-down back for the Pats during the dynasty.

Corey Dillon was running with multiple injuries to both himself and the offensive line.

Heath Evans rounded it out with a more bruising style and more blocking capability.

I see no reason to go out for free agency, but developing a rookie is ideal.

Why in the world would we trade for Ricky Williams if he shows that A) He doesn't have the dedication to stay with a team or B) He can't even play in 2006?!?!?

Last edited:
As for free agents, Najeh Davenport (assuming he's healthy) and Chester Taylor are much more attractive to me.

And there certainly are backs that fit into our game available via draft. Joseph Addai is a perfect back for our system. We could draft and develop him to be out future starter, and a short yardage power back could be found via next year's draft or free agency.

pats1 said:
Kevin Faulk? Patrick Pass? I didn't know they suddenly vanished into thin air.

Patrick Pass tore it up before he almost tore his hamstring. Kevin Faulk has been an excellent 3rd-down back for the Pats during the dynasty.

Corey Dillon was running with multiple injuries to both himself and the offensive line.

Heath Evans rounded it out with a more bruising style and more blocking capability.

I see no reason to go out for free agency, but developing a rookie is ideal.

Why in the world would we trade for Ricky Williams if he shows that A) He doesn't have the dedication to stay with a team or B) He can't even play in 2006?!?!?
Whoa! I was with you up until Heath Evans blocking ability - Deion Branch blocks better then Heath does. I have hopes that he could improve in that area, but we would have to re-sign him first.

To give AZ credit, I believe he included Dillon, Faulk, and Pass in a sweeping 'first-stringers', the reserves he referred to were Cobbs, Chapman, Evans, Zerouye, and Cloud. My concern with his premise is the expectation of having legitimate first string talent that deep on the depth chart. Considering the injuries, we did surprisingly well in the running game. Pass and Evans exceeded expectations, Cloud (once they got his skills aligned with the play calling) actually did a decent job. I will be watching Charles in NFLE, if you look at his timeline with the Pats you saw a kid coming off a knee injury invited to Rookie Camp, sent home with instructions from the training staff, re-tested in the fall, and eventually signed to a futures contract - the kid is flashing Patriot already.

Kory Chapman improved his blocking, blitz pick-up, and receiving in Europe last year, I think Charles has a great opportunity to continue his development and make the Practice Squad.

Az's thread does spark a new consideration; will the 2006 Pats be a running team or a passing team? 2004 can be said to have been a running team with Dillon's success. 2005 was unquestionably a passing team.

For the moment, it looks like the team is going to be better at the power running game this year:
- An injured Dillon still got decent yards behind a devastated O-line, one that was never meant to be a Pittsburgh/KC power line in the first place.
- BB/SP didn't re-sign Dillon to a long term contract blindly, his future abilities were weighed.
- Mankins and Kaczur may have been best available, but they also spoke to a 'future' commitment to the O-line. Keeping two LTs on the Practice Squad also speaks to their future plans.
- The passing game is suspect at WR, but strong at TE and RB.
- The WR draft crop is considered weak as is the Free Agent crop.
- Thus far, none of our Free Agent receivers are re-signed.

We'll have to wait and see what FA brings, but I may have to re-assess my team needs and look for a RB to go with the OL depth I've been looking at.

We HAVE TO UPGRADE our runningback position.

Kevin Faulk is obviously NOT very good at all (unless he is a reciever or runs from side to side), we cannot afford another terrible year from Dillon, and the other who? players are not really that good at all. I semi-like Pass...but he is always injured it seems.

We need Chester Taylor over here. The problem with that is...many other teams need him also. I see him back with the Ravens as they gave up on Jamal.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
We HAVE TO UPGRADE our runningback position.

Kevin Faulk is obviously NOT very good at all (unless he is a reciever or runs from side to side)

:drops jaw:

You're kidding, right?

Faulk was never meant to be an every-down back. I'd still take Faulk over Taylor, just not as a primary back. Faulk is deadly if used right - and that isn't east-to-west running as some may think. To my eyes, watching the tape, he showed more determination and push up the middle than he did going outside, where he's actually not incredibly fast. Used as a 3rd down back, on screens (deadly with Faulk when used at the correct time), or on draws, when he squirts, spins, and dives for first downs, he's a valuable offense asset (a status he's proven over the past 3-4 years).

In the playoffs, when Kaczur (@ Den), Light, and Koppen were out, Faulk was better, IMO, than Dillon.

And as Box said, the MUCH larger need is at receiver right now. Having a recuperated Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and possibly Evans (all of whom missed games and were battered last year) behind an upgraded, just by the pure return of Light and Koppen, the maturity of Kaczur and Mankins, and the rounding out from whoever becomes the RG, is ALREADY AN UPGRADE.

Dillon. Faulk. Pass. 3 running styles, 3 receiving threats, 3 running threats, 3 decent blockers. I was absolutely estatic from what I saw from Pass in the Buffalo game and just prior, before his hamstring injury.

You can call it a horrible year from Dillon, but the injuries to the entire backfield (including Brady) and 5/7 of the offensive line were CRIPPLING.

But when you look at receiving corps, which obviously the Pats have leaned on recently, it's desolate. Branch is still here, but that's about it. Givens WILL re-sign. Mark my words! I can also see Troy coming back, but shouldn't be higher than a #3 receiver, shouldn't play defense, and should lessen his special teams reps. I liked what I saw from Andre' Davis, and his deep threat is complimentary to Givens' possession style. Pick 2 of (Dwight, Johnson, Childress) and you have the rest of the corps. But as it stands right now, Branch, Johnson, Zuriel Smith, Michael McGrew, Rich Musinski, and John Stone CANNOT be our 2006 receiving squad, even with a big strength in Watson and Graham offsetting.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Whoa! I was with you up until Heath Evans blocking ability - Deion Branch blocks better then Heath does. I have hopes that he could improve in that area, but we would have to re-sign him first.

I actually do agree with you about Heath Evans' blocking. I just needed some material to make a convincing case. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes