PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Backup QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsully

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Well it looks like we are in the market for a new backup QB.. I see a lot of threads talking about flutie.. SO I figure I would go a different direction and see where the pats my be heading..

off the top of my head, Jay Fiedler would be solid..

I think BB wants a vet who would be productive if TB had to sit a series, (or God forbid, a game) out, but would defer to Cassel during mop up time to get the kid some action. Not sure Fiedler fits that profile. Maybe someone that's closer to the end of their career, like a Testeverde -type (NOT him, but someone like him).

Mosi Moose said:
I think BB wants a vet who would be productive if TB had to sit a series, (or God forbid, a game) out, but would defer to Cassel during mop up time to get the kid some action. Not sure Fiedler fits that profile. Maybe someone that's closer to the end of their career, like a Testeverde -type (NOT him, but someone like him).
I think BB wants a player who would be productive if TB had to sit a series

We fans have rules about #2 being a seasoned vet, and #3 being a young guy.

As BB showed in 2001, he will go with the guy that he thinks will have the best chance to win games.

Tim Rattay or Jay Fiedler, will fit the bill... Casell will win the number 2 job

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Tim Rattay or Jay Fiedler, will fit the bill... Casell will win the number 2 job

Rattay is still with the Bucs. He wouldn't be let go until the rounds of camp cuts, if the Bucs keep Bruce Gradkowski over him.

As for free agents, I can think of:

Jeff Blake/Bears--Still hangs around each season.
Shaun Hill/Vikings--No experience.
Ty Detmer/Falcons--Absolutely finished.
Craig Krenzel/Bengals--Very little experience.
Shane Matthews/Bills--Hasn't taken a regular season snap in a few years.
Tommy Maddox-Maybe best left. That isn't saying much. Stunk last year.
Tony Banks-Has been no. 2 for Houston. Hasn't played in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Pa Patriot said:

i agree- cassel gets the chance

kazz64 said:
Rattay is still with the Bucs. He wouldn't be let go until the rounds of camp cuts, if the Bucs keep Bruce Gradkowski over him.

As for free agents, I can think of:

Jeff Blake/Bears--Still hangs around each season.
Shaun Hill/Vikings--No experience.
Ty Detmer/Falcons--Absolutely finished.
Craig Krenzel/Bengals--Very little experience.
Shane Matthews/Bills--Hasn't taken a regular season snap in a few years.
Tommy Maddox-Maybe best left. That isn't saying much. Stunk last year.
Tony Banks-Has been no. 2 for Houston. Hasn't played in a while.

Jeff Blake has a canon, but Just can't see him coming in. Maddox wouldn't be too bad of a 3rd stringer. Krenzel seems pretty decent, and has talent. tough call.

I'd give nod to Fieldler too. Below are Kerry Collins SB XXXV stats:

N.Y. Giants
Collins: Attempts: 39; Completions: 15; Yards: 112; Touchdowns: 0; Interceptions: 4

Last edited:
More important is the following NFCG 2 SB 1 appearances.

Backups merely need to do their share and not try to carry a club. He started and carried his clubs and got to two Conference championships and one Super Bowl. How much more evidence do you need that he could be a good B-A-C-K-U-P QB?

If you count playoff games, isn't Cassell at the same point and time as Brady was when Drew got hurt, on day 1 of this season??????

I'm not saying Cassell is another Brady.

Ochmed Jones said:
If you count playoff games, isn't Cassell at the same point and time as Brady was when Drew got hurt, on day 1 of this season??????
The arguement would be that Brady had a world more experience as a starter in college. That said, I want Cassel as the #2 this year.

groundgame said:
I'd give nod to Fieldler too. Below are Kerry Collins SB XXXV stats:

N.Y. Giants
Collins: Attempts: 39; Completions: 15; Yards: 112; Touchdowns: 0; Interceptions: 4
Can't judge a player very well by selecting the stats for his worse game. If you consider Tom Brady's first game against Denver, you'd have to say that Doophins and Dolts fans are right.

BelichickFan said:
The arguement would be that Brady had a world more experience as a starter in college. That said, I want Cassel as the #2 this year.

I think so too! Tom is a great role model and with Flutie as a mentor last year, it would not surprise me at all if Cassel is the #2. BB will probably bring some vet in to "compete" for the job.

Memo to Bill Belichick
RE: Vet QB

ANYONE BUT JAY FIEDLER!!!!

Bill's Girl said:
ANYONE BUT JAY FIEDLER!!!!

See i have to disagree.. Fiedler has to lead the short list of candidates.. I really don't want to see Blake or Collins in here at all. Blake is moody all the time and Collins has never been a team player.. He reminds me of bledsoe, all arm now legs.. He can't roll out and would put a lot of pressure on the OL and TE's to block for him..

Fielder on the other hand is a great backup QB. When a starter, he was average and got injured. But as a spot player or when he played during short bursts, he did well..

re

Ochmed Jones said:

I'm not saying Cassell is another Brady.

You're right about that. Cassel is Steve Young to Brady's Montana.

Fiedler is the guy

He's a tough smaht experienced QB who can be successful in the Patriots "small ball system". Plus he'd give the Pats as many Jewish players as the Red Sox!

patpatriot said:
He's a tough smaht experienced QB who can be successful in the Patriots "small ball system".
Ah, yes, the old "dink-and-dunk" "system."

Having heard the Pats accused of this for a couple years now.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Collins would not want o come herer. He still wants to compete for the #1 QB.

Fielder would be a good fit for this team if he has healed properly.

The ideal thing to do, IMO (and Fiedler will have to go for it), is to sign Fiedler and then put him on the PUP list. That would give us some time to see if Cassell can be #2 (I think he's ligit). If not, when the decision has to be made, we can activate Jay. If Cassell looks to be OK in practices or mop-up duty, then we'll release Fiedler, when he'd be free to sign with some other team with QB injury issues.

dryheat44 said:
The ideal thing to do, IMO (and Fiedler will have to go for it), is to sign Fiedler and then put him on the PUP list. That would give us some time to see if Cassell can be #2 (I think he's ligit). If not, when the decision has to be made, we can activate Jay. If Cassell looks to be OK in practices or mop-up duty, then we'll release Fiedler, when he'd be free to sign with some other team with QB injury issues.
I like this scenario as well...although I wonder about Fiedler learning the play book and then being released....do the Pats really wish to do that???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down