Welcome to PatsFans.com

Backup QB

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AzPatsFan, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +230 / 20 / -10

Is there any questions now whether Belichcick has found yet another QB prize amid the dross of the Draft?

Both O'Connel and Andrews deserved to go. Yet once again, the UDFA rookie displayed POISE and game management. And in his first pro action, guided the Team to a score.
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Bit premature, expecially against the lackluster play of the Oily Titans. Still, it was nice to see the kid play well.
  3. MikeyTrout

MikeyTrout Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If nothing else, it gives the kid confidence.
  4. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hoyer is a solid backup QB and I am for once, happy in our backup situation as opposed to the options we've had for the past few years.

Hoyer may have played against the "lackluster" Titans but he still put in 9 for 11 with one TD in that snow, which at least is a vote of confidence.

He has also shown a surprisingly deep grasp of the playbook there were some plays he ran that I have not seen in quite a while.
  5. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

Been nothing short of impressed with Hoyer. Not ready to say hes the next Matt Ryan but in the least I like his poise and conviction in his throws.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,398 / 16 / -11

Disable Jersey

Please, please, please Jets Ryan, pull Sanchez for O'Connell. I could die fulfilled.
  7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 20 / -14

Your more confident in Hoyer than Cassell? With retrospect at your disposal?
  8. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

I'll say this much: there was a play in there where Hoyer faked the handoff to the right, spun around and pumped to the left, then his the receiver downfield.

If you had just tuned in, you might be forgiven for thining he was Brady on that play. It's clear that Hoyer has been paying attention to what works and what doesn't and how Brady gets things done.

If nothing else, THAT ought to give you confidence that the kid is a great understudy and should turn out just fine. :cool:
  9. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

In the last preseason game and last night he looked more comfortable and confidence-inspiring than Cassel did up until late in the 2008 season.
  10. northernpatriot

northernpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First time poster, long time fan ... Anyone else notice Welker giving Hoyer the shove to the ground when he took the final knee? Nothin like a lil rookie love. Had the players on the field in stitches. love it!
  11. MVPKiller

MVPKiller Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really like Hoyer and I hope he stays around as our backup. Got the chance to meet him, and he is a really good kid, nice and down to earth. He came in Sunday and finished up the job, didn't falter or turn the ball over and got it in the end zone. So far so good.
  12. Patstopia

Patstopia Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Remember Cassels debut? He was in a frenzy, he looked like he was gonna pass out. Very funny looking back at it and how far he has come. Imagine Hoyer in 3 years.
  13. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is the day after a game. To paraphrase Thumper, "If you can't say somefin bad, don't say nuffin at all."

Surely you know the rules: Hoyer does bad, Pats are in QB trouble. If he does good, it was because the other team played bad.

He didn't throw accurately at all. Some of his throws just luckily caught the receiver in stride. Others he was actually throwing at a different receiver and there happened to be another receiver where Hoyer's obviously errant throw went.

Plus he was -6 yards rushing in three tries. Don't take my word for it, look at the stats. The kid is immobile.
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Depends if you are comparing Cassel circa 2005 as a rookie or circa 2008 with 4 years in the system. The irony is that Cassel had a similar very good (11/20 168 2TD or close to it) game in his first real action, that being week 17 or 2005, the 28-26 loss to Miami ( Doug flutie dropkick) when he threw 2 4th quarter TD passes and was one 2 point conversion away from OT. I like what we've seen but like you said let's wait and look back before judging based on one game......
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  15. Simkin

Simkin Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

only 11 thows.

Last season someone said than O'Connell ll be the Steve Young of Tom ''Montana'' Brady
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.