Welcome to PatsFans.com

Backup QB Options - Joey Harrington

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JoeSixPat, Mar 17, 2006.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 2 / -2

I mentioned this on a thread the other day and didn't see any reaction from anyone.

The soon to be released Harrington, it seems to me, still has a lot of upside and a ton of unrealized talent even given years of playing under the keystone kops reign of Matt Millen.

A backup role in a stable system would be a perfect place for him, rather than face the pressure of starting immediately in a new system. It's striking to me that he NEVER complained in all his years in Detroit - even when fans and cynics heaped an unfair amount of blame on him for a team and organization that wasn't exactly set up to succeed.

He's got a strong arm, has never been injured, has always worked hard to get better, and is still young enough to develop value as a tradeable commodity even if he never gets a chance (hopefully) to play a snap for the Pats in the regular season.

He strikes me as a better veteran alternative than Flutie, and has skills that fit in better with our typical gameplan than Flutie does.

I'd love to see him here but generally he's a guy I've been quietly rooting for and hope he does well wherever he goes (hopefully not NY or Buffalo though)
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

why??? I think more the team needs an established vet..not one young..
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Harrington's not exactly Ryan Leaf . . . if the unthinkable happened and Tommy got hurt, Harrington would be as competent as any other backup we signed but with more upside. I would certainly go for it as long as we didn't have to pay too much.
  4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 2 / -2

Perhaps someone like a 27 year old who has been a starter for 4 years?

I guess it comes down to whether you think the Lions' main problem has been at QB.

Personally I feel like the whole organization, from top to bottom, has been poorly run - and expecting a rookie QB to strap an entire poorly run organization on his shoulders and excell is just unrealistic.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  5. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The other side of the coin is does Joey think he can land somewhere where he could get some reasonable playing time. Coach Bill doesn't take Brady out unless it's 35 - 0 or better. Harrington must know this. Of course, we all pray that Tom doesn't get nailed badly sometime and miss time out there.
  6. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I would rather have an older QB in if Brady got hurt, not someone younger..unless Cassel is ready for that jump. Just my opinion as to who they need in a backup....as well as money spent..which I am sure would be a LOT more expensive with him. Frankly, I think he needs a new start and would want a chance as a starting QB.
  7. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 2 / -2

I think the reality for Harrington is that the only place he gets a real chance to start this season is in an organization that's nearly as F'd up as the Lions.

Taking a backup position for a season (signing a 2 -3 year non-guaranteed deal) might allow him to work on his game without the pressure he's faced in his four years in Detroit allowing him to consider where his best long-term options are.

That would allow the Pats to gain a 2nd or 3rd round pick in return for him if indeed he becomes a commodity for a team in need.

I agree that Harrington COULD find a place with a decent shot at starting this year - its just a question as to whether that's what he wants right now.
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

BB wouldn't consider him a veteran backup - he considers 8 years a veteran. Harrington may not say much publicly but on the rare occasions when he does say something he sounds like a first round guy in denial. Don't hear any of his teamates railing against this either. I'm sure he would have zero interest in being a backup to a HOF'er. He'll find someone with a whole lot greater need and get a second chance - first rounders always do. Nationally they seem to have been saying for some time he's been given a lot to work with and he just can't seem to make anything out of it.
  9. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +337 / 22 / -2

This isn't the place for Haarington. We need an old grizzled vet. We already have a QB with potential.
  10. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I agree. I don't think Joey will be looking for a back-up role or be happy to warm a bench with little opportunity to play a significant amount. Cassel is the one I'd like to see get what little time, hopefully, Brady is not playing.
  11. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Given the fact that he has struggled so much to learn his own offense in 3 seasons, does not sound like the guy that could pick up other teams base sets rapidly enough to provide value in practice.
  12. Lamanai

Lamanai Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I disagree with this premise. Didn't the Lions spend three (early) 1st round picks on WR's ? And wasn't Kevin Jones andother 1st rounder ? I don't know about the rest of the squad, but I do know they also invested heavily in OG. I think he's been given the tools and he hasn't performed well.

Besides, I doubt he's ready to join the ranks of the career backups. At 27, i'll bet he's interested in joining a team where he'd at least have a shot at starting.
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 2 / -2

So the feeling is he's not talented enough to be a starter but that some team will give him a shot to be a starter?

And that he's not ready to join the ranks of a career backup even though he's only qualified to be a career backup?

I'm not arguing - I asked people's opinions - but I'm hearing a bit of a disconnect on these issues.

Time will tell but I think there's going to be a decent amount of interest in him once he's let go - and if he's good enough to be considered a starter for other teams I'd be willing to have him as a backup here.

More so, I prefer having a backup QB that might be a tradeable commodity, as well as a veteran starter if need be.

No offense to Doug Flutie, but I'm not expecting any other GMs to be offering draft picks in return for him.

Even with Harrington, the Lions might have been able to trade him for a draft pick or two if only their GM hadn't already made it crystal clear with their moves that they were going to release him prior to his June bonus.