PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Backup QB article with lots of good Pats nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Another good one on ESPN

As Tom Brady's injury showed last year, every NFL team needs a good backup plan at quarterback - ESPN

Here's a blurb:

The Patriots actually ensured that Cassel remained focused through a different method: trial under fire. Every so often, during the middle of a game week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick abruptly would pull Brady out of a team drill and insert Cassel into the lineup. The idea was to see how Cassel would react to being thrown into a surprising situation with all eyes on him. Cassel never embarrassed himself in those moments, but the impact of those tactics weren't lost on him, either.

Added Denver Broncos coach and former New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels: "It would piss Tom off every time we did it, but Bill would just say we have to get Matt ready. When you put that kind of pressure on a guy, it only takes one time for him to go into a huddle and humiliate himself by not knowing what he's supposed to do. I've been there when it's happened and the players don't forget it. The last thing you want is for your team to be looking at the backup and thinking, 'We can't win with this guy.' That's why it's vital to keep those players focused."

It's tough to forget that Miami game when he came in and went right back out.

The comment below that article cracks me up:

'longest article on backup QB's ever'

Wait a minute, wasn't it right about this time one year ago that espn (and the rest of the national sports media) was calling BB foolish for not having a backup QB with starting experience in the NFL, and arrogant for not having a backup plan at QB?

By implication I wonder if K O'C failed such tests, perhaps more than once?

By implication I wonder if K O'C failed such tests, perhaps more than once?

I think you are 100% correct. Not sure if you heard him on EEI, but when asked what factors (physical, mental, etc.) lead to KOC being waived BB said it was a combination of things. He also said that KOC could be sucessful in other programs and systems but it was clear to him that he just didn't think he was going to be successful here. In other bits, BB has said that KOC did not make the most of his opportunties. Gotta assume that the opportunties that BB refers to are not just pre-season games...I'm sure that they include the situations and pressure-type moments that the article referrs to.

I think you are 100% correct. Not sure if you heard him on EEI, but when asked what factors (physical, mental, etc.) lead to KOC being waived BB said it was a combination of things. He also said that KOC could be sucessful in other programs and systems but it was clear to him that he just didn't think he was going to be successful here. In other bits, BB has said that KOC did not make the most of his opportunties. Gotta assume that the opportunties that BB refers to are not just pre-season games...I'm sure that they include the situations and pressure-type moments that the article referrs to.

To me, what was interesting in that WEEI interview was that he spoke almost the same words about O'Connell as he did about Jackson, with the "he has the talent, it just didn't work out here... he could play in the NFL... etc...".

It might just be the canned "I couldn't wait to ditch that one" speech for high draft picks.

To me, what was interesting in that WEEI interview was that he spoke almost the same words about O'Connell as he did about Jackson, with the "he has the talent, it just didn't work out here... he could play in the NFL... etc...".

It might just be the canned "I couldn't wait to ditch that one" speech for high draft picks.

Not just high draft picks, either -- see the identical spin on Vince Redd.

Belichick is always polite as he waves goodbye.

I respect BB's judgment regarding players and their abilities - if you don't fit the peg he has for you with the PATS he won't try to shave you down to the correct size!

Wait a minute, wasn't it right about this time one year ago that espn (and the rest of the national sports media) was calling BB foolish for not having a backup QB with starting experience in the NFL, and arrogant for not having a backup plan at QB?

Exactly. These annual backup QB ratings are stupid for a number of reasons, mostly because they're based almost entirely on name value and past starting experience. The only people who have any idea how good most of these backups are are the people who are coaching them, and even they don't really know.

Invariably, the team with the 'best' backup QB in these rankings is the team that has a QB competition for starter, because neither of them are good enough to nail it down.

Yeah, I don't think BB would ever just outright say "yeah, that guy sucks." It's a disservice to the player, it helps teams that might think about signing him, and it gives the guy bulletin board material against you. Belichick doesn't publicly smear his players, and I'm sure they appreciate that courtesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes