Welcome to PatsFans.com

Backup Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

It seems that we will have the four W's as our primary defensive linemen, with Warren replacing Green. It seems that these can be our primary DL's in both the 43 and 34, although an OLB will often be one of the DE's in the 43.
    ====================================

THE BACKUP ROLES
    What do you all think that we need to have in our backups?
    How many should we have? Three seems right, although we had only two last year.

A) backup NT (Brace)
    B) backup DT (Lewis or Pryor)
    C) backup DE (Richard or Deaderick)

2. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

No mention of draft pick Kade Weston?

I pray that I am wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked if Brace doesn't even make the team.

3. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Lewis is ahead of Warren.

Pryor makes the team. As does Brace.

One from Warren, Richard, Deaderick, Weston IMO.

4. Criptonite

Criptonite Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah I think Weston has a chance. He could potentially play both DE and NT. That versatility could help him get a roster spot. Also, he is another W. :D

5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,031 / 85 / -81

Disable Jersey

Lewis was a starter last year, and he would seem to translate to RDE better than Warren.

6. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -3

No Mike Wright?

7. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,064 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

He didn't forget Wright, he is included in the '4 W's who are our primary defensive linemen.'

8. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

The thought of G Warren at RDE is pretty scary. He is terrible against the run.

I do not see a RDE on the roster right now. I do see a lot of rotational type players but no true starter.

9. Criptonite

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know that all indications are of GWarren getting significant time at end, but I just don't see him being sucessful there. He looks like a pass rushing 4-3 DT. Just based on his size, he would seem to be a better fit at NT before DE in the 3-4. That being said, I think Damione Lewis is a much worse fit. He is also a 4-3 DT. I guess we could use him in certain packages, but I don't think there's a spot for him on the team in such a limited role. I agree that the other end spot looks like it will be a rotational thing.

10. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -3

Ah, my bad... for some reason my brain skipped the "four" part and assumed he was talking about a 3 man line of Warren, Wilfork, and... well Warren again.

One of these days I'll learn how to read...

11. Criptonite

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not a big fan of Gerard at the other DE spot, but I think you're right in your belief that he will be one of the "primary" D lineman. The other 3 W's are locks and Gerard is probably going to make it. I think Brace is nearly a lock too. Despite what happened last season, he was taken #40 overall. That's almost a first rounder. I don't think they'll give up on him so quickly. Pryor will likley win a spot too based on what he was able to accomplish last year. As a 7th member of the DL, we would need another end. I think the rest would battle it out for that spot. Between Deaderick, Lewis, Richard, Weston and the others, someone will emerge. I favor Weston a little over Deaderick, but I don't know if they plan on trying Weston at end or tackle. So as for now, I'd go with Deaderick as the 7th man to contribute at end.

12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,031 / 85 / -81

Disable Jersey

Why do people consider G. Warren to be a 'primary' D player, yet put Lewis on the bubble, when Lewis is the better player?

13. Criptonite

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't like GWarren that much, but it seems like BB intends for him to play a big role. Warren was clearly the fallback plan at DE if we were not able to land who we wanted in the draft. DE was a hole we didn't address until the 7th round and Warren was signed minutes after the draft ended. Also, when looking upon the roster, we don't have anyone else to fill that end spot. Brace and Pryor primarily place inside. Deaderick, Richard and Weston are 7th round picks with no NFL experience. As for Lewis, he would be the other option there. I think he's a protypical 4-3 DT. I cannot see him playing 3-4 DE. If he makes the team, I think he will be playing at DT when we are in one of our 4-3ish formations. I just can't see where he is a "primary" player in our D. I'm not even convinced GWarren makes the team, but signs point to BB wanting to use him a lot this year.

14. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed 10char/

15. willdeespats

willdeespats Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

#91 Jersey

Didn't Wilfork play some RDE last year? And do a fairly decent job of it? I'm thinking that he could be the best answer for that position and then one of the others can play nose. What does anyone else think of this?

16. alphilip77

alphilip77 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the D-linemen who I see making the team and their roles (T.Warren, Wilfork, and Wright locks):

Brace: 4-3 DT; backup NT
    Pryor: possible backup NT; 4-3 DT on passing downs
    *Deaderick: Rotational 3-4 DE (knowledge of position playing under Saban)
    Richard: Rotational 3-4 DE; 4-3 DT (possesses decent measurable, spent year on practice squad, knows system)
    G.Warren: 4-3 DT, rotational 3-4 DE (has size to play DE spot)

*Note: I can envision Weston possibly taking Deaderick's spot pending if he can fully grasp DE responsibilities and do well

That's pretty much it. The only one where I'm not 100% sure is G.Warren. I know alot of you guys have said he's terrible against the run. I'm only giving him the nod over Lewis because he has the size advantage (plus I'd be terrified if we had a 6'2" 4-3 DT playing DE).

17. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Lewis and Warren have different styles of play.....

Belichick on Warren signing - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

18. Criptonite

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IIRC they put him over there only to match up against Jake Long when we played Miami. I think Wright moved inside to play NT when that happened.

19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

1) I agree with deus that Lewis a good player, perhaps better than Warren, and certainly a solid asset.

2) G. Warren has the advantage of flexibility. He is the likely player to share time with Wright at RDE.

SO, WE NOW FIVE VALUABLE PLAYERS
    Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Warren and Lewis. I could certainly see no other defensive linemen getting reps, except for garbage time and injuries. This is a reasonably solid five. As I said earlier, one of the LB's is likely to be a DE in certain schemes and situations.
    ===================================================

I think that the reality is that all the rest are developmental players with no real roles as yet.

BRACE
    PRYOR
    RICHARD
    DEADERICK
    WESTON

I think that the real question is whether any of the bottom three shows enough for us to want on the roster getting reps at RDE, or at least as a developmental RDE. Otherwise all three could end up on the Practice Squad.

The undiscussed question is whether we really need both Brace and Pryor, if both Warren and Lewis turn out as advertized. I don't either of them playing RDE any time soon, and we have lots of backup DT's.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  20. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +865 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

Not much. Nose tackle is the hardest position to fill and Wilfork isn't built for end. Though talented, pulling Wilfork out of nose tackle weakens two positions. If they can't find a rotation that can play end at least as well as a big round NT can, then they need to keep looking, but I think the three Ws will be fine.

The only reason Brace sticks is he has upside at nose, which is the hardest position to fill in a 3-4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.