PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BackDraft ~ 2013

FL Brandon Lloyd > Jets > #72 & #141 & QB Greg McElroy

One'f the stupid things ~ probably the stupidest thing ~ that the Patriots've perpetrated this "Off Season" has been the attempt to justify cutting Brandon Lloyd loose by first leaking Rumors that amounted to Public Humiliation.

Hello??

If you want to get rid of a guy, first thing: Shut Your PieHole.

Then: Let it leak out that "We're reformatting our Offense and would be willing to consider Offers."

#$%&.

Brandon Lloyd is ~ was ~ a talented and reasonably young Flanker who had proven'mself adept of mind enough to hold'is own ~ though not much more'n that, mind you ~ in the intensely demanding Patriots Offense.

And this is 2013, For Those of You Scoring At Home.

There is an insatiable Market for established & effective Wide Outs...especially the ones who handle our System!!

The fact that Brandon Lloyd is allegedly a Flake is beside the point...especially if you Shut Your Pie Hole about it!!!

And the Jets were Perfect Victims: Cash Strapped and Wide Out Strapped, they would've fallen all over themselves to acquire the Services of Brandon Lloyd, a wily Veteran with numerous consecutive successful Seasons under'is belt, accomplished in the demanding Patriots System and signed on at a Bargain Basement Salary!!

Yoinking a 3rd Rounder & Change out'f the Jets would've been Child's Play.

QB Greg McElroy ~ Alabama Crimson Tide ~ 6018/220

594700932.jpg

My Scouting Report on Greg McElroy, two years ago:

"Greg McElroy is far and away my favorite QuarterBack of this Draft.

He is the quintessential Fanatical Favorite: A QuarterBack of limited physical skills who nevertheless commands astonishing Processing Speed, tremendous Field Vision, and excellent Mechanics.

He has phenomenal patience in the Pocket ~ sometimes too much!! ~ and he's an outstanding Decision Maker who works the field with Savvy and Cold Blooded Precision. He's incredibly cool under pressure, and a Born Leader who's teammates invariably respond to at all times ~ and especially when the Game's on the line.

I believe that Greg McElroy, given one shot at it, is going to be an exceptional QuarterBack.

He has nothing at all that dazzles, and absolutely every last thing that he needs to simply Win and to become Great.

Unfathomably ~ though not surprisingly ~ he is projected to go in the very late rounds, and I'll go right on the record and say that ~ given a single opportunity with an Head Coach smart enough to realize what he has, there ~ he will forge an extraordinary career."

My Perspective hasn't changed an Inch.

If we're playing the Super Bowl, next Year, and Tom Brady gets knocked out in the 4th Quarter with the Patriots trailing by 4, this is the guy I want stepping up to the Plate, not Ryan #$%&ing Mallett.

QB Ryan Mallett > Cardinals > #38 & #140 & #174

A Perfect Storm of Opportunity beckons.

The 2012 OffSeason yields utter sewage for QuarterBacks, and the 2013 Draft doesn't do much better!!

There's been much debate over Ryan Mallett's Trade Value, ere the last several months, but it's become clear that the Browns & Cardinals, at the very least, have been desperate for Golden Arms, and that Ryan Mallett is the perfect fit for what ails them, though an early 1st Rounder is too much and a 3rd Rounder is too little.

It is, indeed, a Perfect Storm. Rumors had it that the Patriots called The Market's Bluff, and were insisting on nothing less than a 1st Rounder for Mallett. I believe that if they ~ I, in my Fantasy Mock Role, here ~ had been willing to take a 2nd Rounder and some sweet Change for'm, a deal would indeed have been struck!!

DL Brandon Deaderick > Miners > #180

I like Deaderick, and you can't complain about the Value we got for a 7th Round Investment in the 2010 Draft.

But it follows my unrelenting thesis: If he doesn't command All Pro Caliber Talent, consider other Options.

That may seem Harsh ~ and a tad unrealistic, because I'm talking about the entire 53 Man Roster.

But I believe that there is far more untapped Talent out there than necessarily meets the eye.

Again: I like Brandon Deaderick. He commands impressive Core Strength and he's got a great Motor. But he's not the most Agile guy in the world. Don't get me wrong: I think he could carve out a tremendous Career as a versatile Reserve who won't embarrass himself or'is Team as a "344" Defensive End or "434" Tackle.

And I wouldn't be terrified if he needed to step in in the 2nd Quarter of a Super Bowl, if my Starter went down.

It's just that ~ especially for a Position that I hold in such high Regard ~ I prefer to seek out All Pro Talent.

As for the Miners: This Trade could just as easily happen on the 3rd Day of the Draft ~ indeed, it's more likely, I think, once The Market has established, as it ended up doing, that the more enticing Defensive Tackles have been drafted by Pick #139 in the early 5th Round ~ but most of the course of the Draft is in fact Projectable.

In any case: Viewing this Mock is more enjoyable if we get most of the 11 ~ 11!! ~ Trades done ahead of time, and it's certainly quite realistic to suggest that the Miners would've been happy to've made this Trade early on, as it is clearly advantageous to position oneself to draft for Value rather than Need.

DT Kyle Love & OL Nick McDonald > Steelers > #186 & #233

Same Principles apply here, all across the board.

Kyle Love is a guy I love ~ who doesn't?? ~ but, like Deaderick, has clearly limited UpSide ~ or so I think, I should stipulate ~ due to'is limited Athleticism...Even so, he works like a Dog, busts'is @$$ relentlessly, commands impressive Core Strength, and will hold up well, indeed, against the Run on 1st & 2nd Downs.

In a word: Tremendous Defensive Tackle Depth, and a guy with extensive and solid experience as a Starter.

In fact, I expect that many Patriot Fans who think that I've hideously overestimated the Market Value of Ryan Mallett, Donta HighTower, and Brandon Lloyd will yet believe that I'm egregiously underrating that of Kyle Love.

But I would argue that The Market cares only what The Market values ~ not what we value. To those who focus not on The Market Value itself, but on their own ultimately self-centered Perceptions of a Player's Value ~ his Value to his current Team ~ The Market can be unexpectedly generous...or just as unexpectedly cruel.

As for the Steelers, I imagine that they'd be quite happy to get such a reliable Player at such a critical Position at which they are so thin, and to do so at such light Cost, both in Money and in Trade Capital.

The Draft ~ It Begins!!

#29 > Vikings > #52 & #83 & #102 & #229

Heh.

Had I proposed this Trade in a Mock before the Draft, I wouldn't been laughed at.

Indeed, I would've laughed, myself...or rolled my eyes.

According to the famous/infamous Draft Value Chart: Yes, that's an even Trade ~ a Wash.

But according to Reality ~ or a far more accurate interpretation of Draft Pick Value, which is, mind you, merely an interpretation, although one I happen to agree with ~ we rooked those poor Bastards!!

Such was the allure of Cord Patterson that the Vikings paid this King's Ransom.

And that, Ladies & Laddies...is why I love The Draft!!

#32 ~ SS Jon Cyprien ~ Florida InterNational Panthers ~ 6003/216

412502241.jpg

Run Defense ~ Outstanding. Cyprien combines extraordinary Tackling Technique with ferocious, blistering Speed. He hits hard, and he hits square. He commands fantastic Lateral Agility & Range and tremendous Acceleration.

Pass Defense ~ Extraordinary. Cyprien commands outstanding Verticity in Coverage, Turning & Burning smoothly & rapidly. He's played plenty of Slot, and with his Range & Processing Speed, he'd be an exceptional Free Safety.

I'm crazy about this kid. Jon Cyprien combines the Range, Acceleration, and Processing Speed ~ though not yet the Diagnostic Acuity ~ to become an extraordinary Free Safety with the Verticity, Range, Acceleration, Processing Speed, Technique, and my God the Ferocity to become a phenomenal Strong Safety!!

Were I running the Patriots and instilling The Yankee 245, he'd be the CenterPiece as the Rover Gryphon.

I believe that he'll become a Great One.

#38 ~ DE Tank Carradine ~ Florida State Seminoles ~ 6040/275

977639788.jpg

Tank Carradine is a freaking Dream Defensive End Prospect.

He projects as a Terrifying Force as a Pass Rusher & a staunch Edge Setter & Mauling Brawler as a Run Defender.

He's clearly got a great Passion for the Game, a Passion for Team Defense who will earn Pro Bowl appearances on his Run Defense alone...and a clear Passion to become one of the Great Ones. I can't wait to see'm Play.

Having Tank Carradine line up opposite Chandler Jones for the next Decade would be Ecstasy.

There's no way to measure it, of course...

But if you could quantify the Fusion of Pass Rushing Terror & Run Stuffing Tenacity...I do believe that, a Decade hence, you might very well see Chandler Jones & Tank Carradine score as #1 and #2 for the entire Decade.

Having the two of them line up, Down after Down ~ especially with Vince Wilfork and a perhaps a Defensive Tackle ~ at long last ~ worthy of lining up beside'm...could transform this Defense.

It could, in fact, be quite amazing.

#52 & FS Steve Gregory > Planet Hoosten > #57 & #124

Heh. I won't pretend that this Mock Trade isn't made for my Mock Convenience...

But there's no denying the fact that Planet Hoosten is strapped for Talent at CornerBack, and with the sterling Jamar Taylor startlingly available at #52, I consider it almost beyond argument that Planet Hoosten would've been more than happy to part with a late 4th Rounder in order to secure the lad's Services.

The 50's saw a flurry of Trade activity as the Draft approached a Drop Off Point between Tiers, and I'd be surprised if Planet Hoosten or someone else did not in fact place a call with precisely this sort of Trade in mind.

Gregory is a Throw In ~ I am by no means suggesting that he had any Trade Value to speak of. I found our signing of'm last Year to be idiotic the moment it happened ~ in stark contrast to the Legions of In Bill We Trust Bleeters ~ and would be just as happy to be rid'f'm as Planet Hoosten might be to secure'is Services.

#57 ~ SS Dayario Swearinger ~ South Carolina GameCocks ~ 5104/208

767645115.jpg

Run Defense ~ Famous for the Ferocity & Intensity of'is Tackles, but is prone to focusing on the Hits rather than the Tackles themselves. Even so, Swearinger brings a formidable combination of Lateral Agility, Vision, and explosive Acceleration to the table. He misses more Tackles than I'm happy with, but he is terrifying.

Pass Defense ~ Adept. Tremendous Diagnostics, but dubious Processing Speed leads to missteps and late steps. However, he boasts impressive Verticity for a Safety. Listed as a Free Safety, but doesn't command Top Shelf Range. This will limit him at Strong Safety as well, but less so. Absolutely brutal Hitter across the Middle.

Dayario Swearinger's Diagnostic Acuity is outstanding. He's a Field General, out there.

His Processing Speed, however, isn't nearly as impressive. He's sometimes a step late.

His Motor runs Hot & Cold, but it really seems like more'f a failure to manage himself than a Prima Donna thing: All Reports support the perception of a dedicated Gym Rat and a guy who burns through Tape and relentlessly drills all The Little Things. A Natural Leader, and a passionate, enthusiastic, inspiring one.

His propensity to go for the Hit instead of the Tackle is a concern, but his overall record as a diligent Student of the Game who not only persistently dedicates himself to the gritty work of Conditioning and Tape Reading, but inspires others to do so, and his Intelligence, his obvious Passion, and his evident Love for the Game persuade me that it's a smart Bet to make that he'll be responsive to Coaching and will take the appropriate steps to elevate his Game.

And if he does, he'll evolve into a formidable Force: A Terror in the Running Game who doesn't often hurt'is own Team, and an adept Coverage Safety who can stay on for all 3 Downs and Make Plays.

Dayario Swearinger would actually be perfect as a Strong Gryphon in The Yankee 245.

In the real world, though, he should make an exceptional Strong Safety...and perhaps an extraordinary one.

#59 ~ TE Travis Kelce ~ Cincinnati BearCats ~ 6050/255

Travis+Kelce+Rutgers+v+Cincinnati+ZABcJnrmvnsx.jpg

Travis Kelce is the most dangerous Tight End ~ perhaps of any kind ~ in this amazingly deep Tight End Class.

And he has no peer as a classic Blocking/Receiving Tight End.

Not even close.

He's a consistently brutal, bruising Mauler as a Blocker, and he's a dangerously agile Router who surfs the Field with a remarkable level of Fluidity and Grace, yet can simply blast his way through Defenders.

He's equally formidable, either Beasting his way through a Block or a Defender, or employing his Athleticism to win.

He's a dedicated Craftsman in every single Aspect of the Game, and has clearly done serious drilling & studying in his Pursuit of Excellence...and he is a devoted TeamMate, with or without the Ball, and relentlessly gives his All.

He is The Complete Package.

I don't know what the Hell he did to get suspended for an whole Season, and his Silence is extremely troubling.

But I'm going to set that aside for purposes of this Prospectus, with the Caveat that if it turns out that whatever it was was something truly despicable...then All Bets Are Off.

Frankly, I'm thinking the guy just smoked a few Jibs or cracked a few Lines. That's Youth.

But, having so stipulated...

This guy wreaks of Dominance.

#72 > Bengals > #84 & #118 & #190

Personally, I have little regard for the prospects of Mike Glennon, but not only would most NFL Teams disagree with me ~ and God knows they know infinitely more than I about FootBall ~ but many would consider Mike Glennon to be the QuarterBack with the greatest UpSide in this entire Draft Class.

Furthermore, the Bengals are on the Record as saying that Andy Dalton has a ways to go.

And Andy Dalton, in my opinion, has limited UpSide.

As such, the Bengals ~ who have a great lust for "names" in the Draft ~ may very well have placed a few calls with a mind towards Trading Up to secure the Services and the young, strong Arm of one Michael Glennon, Esquire.

#83 ~ XE Jordan Reed ~ Florida Gators ~ 6024/238

324300056.jpg

Jordan Reed is a phenomenal Prospect ~ a recent QuarterBack, HalfBack, and Split End ~ who is raw as Hell as a WingBack, but who nevertheless brings an exceptional level of Wisdom to the table because'f'is unique Resume!!

I've read a lot of comparisons to my first SuperBinky, Aaron the Navigator, Reed's TeamMate from the 2010 Draft Class, and let me say: they are very appropriate.

Reed is by no means as refined as Aaron Hernandez was, 3 years ago, but that doesn't matter.

What matters is that he commands an eerily similar Fusion of Fluidity, Ricochet, Vision, and phenomenal Instincts.

And he has the Intelligence, the Savvy, and the amazing Instincts to make the most of those extraordinary Gifts.

Simply put, Jordan Reed has the Potential to become a phenomenal Receiver, especially After The Catch ~ the kind of Receiver whose Open Field Running makes your jaw drop ~ as well as an adequate complementary Blocker.

In a word: an Explosive PlayMaker, one who can substitute for Hernandez, when needs be...or complement'm.

I think the kid's gonna be a Star.

#84 ~ OG Hugh Thornton ~ Illinois Fighting Illini ~ 6033/320

754024945.jpg

Run Blocking ~ Raw but flashes Greatness. Outstanding Fluidity, Lateral Agility, & Range. Exceptional Drive Power.

Pass Blocking ~ A relentless, mauling Scrapper. Strong Mechanics. Excellent Core Strength. Awesome Athleticism.

I'm really intrigued by Hugh Thornton as an Offensive Guard Convertible.

He got messed up by Datone Jones at the Senior Bowl ~ who didn't?? ~ but in my opinion this was as a result of him being aligned at his most recent Position ~ Offensive Tackle ~ which I don't believe to be his best Position.

When he was actually playing FootBall, this past Year, he displayed an absolutely outstanding fusion of Core Power, Core Strength, Fluidity, and phenomenal Lateral Agility. In short, he looked like a very complete Offensive Guard!!

Thornton's Lateral Agility is so remarkable that, combined with'is other commendable Traits, he could probably make a very serviceable Offensive Tackle at the next level...But with'is length, I side with the majority and suggest that he should move inside, where I believe he will develop into an outstanding Offensive Guard.

This once again plays to my Relentless Thesis:

Draft no man who lacks the UpSide to excel against The Very Best.

Thornton has that level of UpSide...and the Intelligence & Passion to convert it into reality.

Had we been smart enough to've drafted'm, this Year, I believe he'd've taken over Right Guard by October.

And this is a guy who I would trust in the Dark Depths of Winter.

#91 ~ DT Brandon Williams ~ Missouri Southern Lions ~ 6012/336

271093312.jpg

Brandon Williams is a phenomenal Nose Tackle Prospect. He's raw, mind you, but his Core Strength and especially his Drive Power are simply Awesome, and he's quick Off The Snap, too!! Perhaps most stunning is his Athleticism, at 336 Beastish Pounds!! Best of all is'is Motor, though: Incredible Stamina for such a Big Man.

This is the kind of Prospect that you can build your Defense around ~ and a damned good Defense, at that.

He may very well be The Steal of the Draft, when all is said and done.

#102 ~ SS Duke Williams ~ Nevada WolfPack ~ 5110/201

734734455.jpg

240566186.jpg

Run Defense ~ Williams shows a deliciously voracious appetite for Contact, and has delivered some HighLight Reel Hits. But what I like most about'm is his Disciplined approach to the Game. Many HighLight Reel Hitters in this Year's Draft fail dramatically in that regard, but Williams consistently sticks to'is Job and chooses'is Moments.

Pass Defense ~ Williams commands outstanding Verticity to Turn & Burn in Slot Coverage. That alone should put'm on everyone's Radar, but his tremendous Processing Speed, evident in how quickly and consistently he gets DownField to stop Runs, makes him an highly valuable Hybrid in the 21st Century's Game.

The Tape's a bit thin, I'll grant you, but from what I've seen, Duke Williams is the Real Deal: An Hard Hitting Haymaker with the extraordinary combination of outstanding Agility, tremendous Processing Speed, and Field Vision to stand tall in Coverage against athletic SlotBacks, yet lay the Hammer down in Run Defense when it's called for.

How such an invaluable Hybrid can be projected for the 3rd Day ~ if that ~ is beyond me.

Presumably, it's my own foolishness, vastly overrating this guy.

If so, you know what? I can live with that!!

#112 > Buccaneers > #126 & #147

Last Trade!!

As with the previous Mock Trade, this is one of Mock Convenience...But that's true of everyone's Mock Trades, yes??

My Rationale behind this one is simple and unassailable: The Buccaneers are ~ inexplicably, as far as I'm concerned ~ as lukewarm towards Josh Freeman as the Bengals are towards Andy Dalton, and quite possibly actually made inquiries to see if they could Trade Up to snag the Services of Tyler Wilson at a truly bargain Price.

There is no QuarterBack in this Draft who entices me as Greg McElroy and Kellen Moore have in the previous two Draft Classes. But Tyler Wilson has The Right Stuff, methinks, and was a genuine Bargain in the 4th Round.

#118 ~ OG Joe Tretter ~ Cornell Big Red ~ 6036/308

291124174.jpg

Run Blocking ~ Phenomenal Athleticism, Intelligence, and Motor. Developmental Drive Power.

Pass Blocking ~ Phenomenal Athleticism, Intelligence, and Motor. Developmental Core Strength.

Joe Tretter is a fascinating Prospect. He's a former QuarterBack & BasketBall Star in High School who converted to Tight End at Cornell, and after two years on the Bench, converted again, to Left Tackle...And who is almost certainly going to convert yet again at the next level, to Offensive Guard!! I've even read Center mentioned as an idea, and I think he'd be a good Prospect!! In either case, converting to the Interior is a very good idea, considering his Length.

Tretter is raw, naturally, and he still has work to do on'is Core Strength, as it was only two years ago that he made the move to Offensive Tackle, before which he weighed 250 Pounds!! But the Frame is there to build on, and he's already proven that he'll do whatever it takes to succeed. The Motor on this kid is phenomenal.

What he already brings to the table is outstanding Lateral Agility, a terrific Burst off the Snap, startling Diagnostic Capacity and Processing Speed ~ considering his inexperience ~ and both the Frame to develop not only adequate but exceptional Core Strength and Core Power and a fanatical Work Ethic that assures me he will do precisely that.

Tretter will need to develop, of course, but if he gets the right coaching, I don't think it'll take anywhere near as long for'm to develop into a Starter as most folks seem to think...and I'm betting that he becomes a very good one.

#124 ~ SE Christopher Harper ~ Kansas State WildCats ~ 6006/228

579379263.jpg

Still a bit raw, as a recent Convertible from QuarterBack, but Christopher Harper brings an outstanding Fusion of Size, Strength, Speed, and Intelligence to the table. I think he's going to become an excellent Split End, one who can Rapidly Read & React to Defensive changes, and adjust Routes accordingly and consistently.

I don't expect spectacular things from'm, but he's a Baller who'll reliably Move The Chains and beat Defenses up with a Tough, Savvy, Physical Game for a solid Decade or so, I expect.

#126 ~ FL Quinton Patton ~ Louisiana Tech ~ 6000/204

299343822.jpg

Release ~ Crisp.

Routing ~ Phenomenal.

Separation ~ Magnificent, despite ordinary Athleticism.

Catching ~ Beautiful.

Navigation ~ Exceptional.

Blocking ~ Superior, and improving.

I consider Quint Patton to be the most Ready To Serve WideOut in the entire Draft. There is nothing extraordinary about his Athleticism, but his mastery of Routes, of Gearing up & down to toss Defenders off'is Trail, and of the dozens of little subtleties that gain'm an advantage as he works through Traffic are incredibly refined.

I've read a lot of Reggie Wayne comparisons about this kid, and they're Spot On.

And you can forget about that "3 Years to Take It Through The Gears" business that usually applies to WideOuts.

He's ready to make an Impact today.

He's ready to start.

Yes.

Even in this Offense.

#129 ~ XB Marcus Lattimore ~ South Carolina GameCocks ~ 5112/222

601515530.jpg

A smart Team will understand what any 4th Grader really ought to know: The vast majority of Players who're recovering from major Injuries ~ like Lattimore's Ligament ~ need about 18 months to complete the process of Taking It Through The Gears and fully recovering their previous form...unless you're Adrian Peterson!!

The good news?

If Nature is allowed to take its course at its own Pace...they usually do fully recover their previous form!!

This Prospectus is based on that theoretical Scenario ~ that Lattimore is drafted by a Team that's smart enough to let'm work back gradually in 2013 and limit his Load. But I would not call that an assumption, mind you!!

Marcus Lattimore, if Nature is allowed to take its course at its own Pace ~ even despite Lattimore's own reluctance!! ~ should emerge in 2014 as a deliriously explosive Back: Armed with phenomenal Processing Speed, extraordinary Agility, devastating Power & Strength, beautiful Pass Receiving skills, and potentially pulverizing Pass Blocking skills, Marcus Lattimore should become an amazing and exhilarating Force at The Next Level ~ a true SuperBeast!!

#140 ~ XB Christopher Thompson ~ Florida State Seminoles ~ 5070/192

596453871.jpg

699757595.jpg

I didn't actually write a Scouting Report on Christopher Thompson, the injury-riddled FlexBack who nevertheless commands exhilaratingly explosive Potential, and who would certainly be a likely RedShirt Candidate in 2013.

Russ Lande at National FootBall Post wrote a nice one up though, although just before'is latest Injury, mind you.

Here's an excerpt:

"A naturally instinctive runner with excellent vision, Thompson finds the hole/crease, can make the sharp cut to get to it and has the burst to get through it. While many running backs can make tacklers miss out in space, his ability to change directions quickly in the hole to avoid tacklers in tight quarters is a rare and valuable trait.

For a small back he attacks the hole with uncommon aggressiveness, gets shoulders down to make himself a smaller target and has the lower body strength and balance to run through arm/grab tackles/hits to consistently gain yards after contact."

For a 5th Rounder and a season on Injured Reserve to get'm healed up?? Oh, Hell, yeah!!

If this kid can ever sustain'is Health for a few Years, he could tear the League to shreds!!

#141 ~ FS Josh Evans ~ Florida Gators ~ 6012/207

317165673.JPG

Pass Defense ~ Evans commands outstanding Verticity in Slot Coverage, and excellent Processing Speed & Range when he plays CenterField. He is the rare Defender who successfully manages the Balance between Aggression and Safety: He makes more than his share of Big Plays, but does a remarkable job of covering'is TeamMates's Back.

Run Defense ~ Excellent in Run Support. A strong, sure Tackler who doesn't mind delivering an Hard Hit, but who's Body of Work clearly shows that actually making the Tackles is his first Priority.

Love this kid. Josh Evans is a tremendously Agile & Athletic Specimen who can Cover exceptionally well, and he is a genuine PlayMaker...Yet he commands the Processing Speed & Diagnostic Wisdom ~ and Self Control ~ to've already proved to be a reliable Last Line of Defense, as he did in Florida while Matt Elam ran amok.

#147 ~ SE Corey Fuller ~ Virginia Tech Hokies ~ 6021/204

477245220.jpg

Corey Fuller, For Those Scoring At Home, is a former Track Star ~ a Star FootBall Player in High School at QuarterBack ~ who, after sitting out a Transfer Year, only in 2011 began the fundamental rudimentals of playing WideOut, and who had a career total of 2 Catches, going into the 2012 Campaign!!

To be sure, he was Raw.

But Fuller advanced by Leaps & Bounds in 2012, and in one short Year his Routing and his general understanding of the Game have advanced at an astonishing rate. Combined with explosive Acceleration Off The Line, outstanding Agility & Precision in'is Routes, and rapidly developing Instinct & Timing, Corey Fuller is rocketing towards a potentially extraordinary Future, in my incredibly humble opinion.

This is a Projection.

There are certainly many guys I rank him ahead'f whose Games are more refined.

But of course: All Draft Picks are Projections.

Yes, the world is rife with Potential, much of which goes for naught.

But when I see someone as athletically gifted as Corey Fuller improving at such a torrential rate, my Gut tells me that he is a far better bet than most of the guys who've been slowly improving for a few Years.

In a word: I believe that Corey Fuller is going to become extraordinary.

And I believe he's going to attain that level of Excellence far faster than most would even dream of.

#153 ~ PK Caleb Sturgis ~ Florida Gators ~ 5097/189

202463996.jpg

Stephen Gostkowski is a decent PlaceKicker, but whereas the League is averaging more than 75% Accuracy in the 40-49 Range, the last few Years ~ 80% League Average, last Year ~ Gostkowski is averaging 70%.

Can you say "OverRated"?

He's reliable on the shorter stuff, to be sure, but Gostkowski's lofty Total Field Goal Percentage is inflated by the simple fact that Coach Bill rarely asks'm to attempt Field Goals longer than 50 Yards, Ladies & Laddies.

It's Time to challenge the Incumbent.

Caleb Sturgis went 8 for 9 beyond the 40 for Florida, this Year, including 3 for 3 beyond the 50.

Frankly, I was tempted to draft him and his Florida State Rival, Dustin Hopkins...but that would be a chaotic Camp!!

#174 ~ XB Latavius Murray ~ Central Florida Knights ~ 6024/224

388294327.jpg

Latavius Murray is one Hell of an intriguing Prospect.

I'm afraid he may be a little too Hit or Miss as a Runner, but he's got exceptional Agility and outstanding Speed, and with a little Professional Coaching, he might become extraordinary.

Furthermore, he's already an accomplished Blocker and an outstanding Receiver Prospect. These were developed at Central Florida when he played some Tight End for awhile.

The result is a startlingly complete Package.

Did I mention his 438 Time in the "40"?

At 224 Pounds??

Or that the last 407 Times he's got the Ball ~ in all sorts of different ways ~ he's gone without a single Fumble???

Futhermore, Murrray's remarkable Skill Set means that he could line up as an HalfBack, a FullBack, a WingBack, a SlotBack, a Slot End, or even Split End and Flanker.

Holy #$%&.

This kid, coached right and deployed with imagination, could become an incredibly dangerous Weapon.

#180 ~ FD DeVonte Holloman ~ South Carolina GameCocks ~ 6012/243

449421623.JPG

Run Defense ~ Core Strength is lacking, but only because he's only just begun to play UpField. Excellent Instincts.

Pass Defense ~ Extraordinary Verticity & Outstanding Processing Speed.

Pass Rush ~ Raw but with Potential.

Intangibles ~ Phenomenal Processing Speed and Command of the Game.

DeVonte Holloman is a bit'f a Projection ~ aren't they all?? ~ because he'd been a Safety all'is College Career until last Year, and even then he was more'f an Hybrid...But he brings an exhilarating Fusion of Diagnostic Acuity, Processing Speed, Discipline, and incredible Verticity. And I think he'll develop into an excellent Run Defender.

In the 21st Century, Defenders who can match up effectively with Tight Ends, Flex Ends, & WingBacks are Gold.

DeVonte Holloman projects as a Sam Flanker in the "434" or as a Lion in my Yankee 245 ~ an outstanding one.

#186 ~ XB Kerwynn Williams ~ Utah State Aggies ~ 5082/195

578375412.jpg

Kerwynn Williams is a bit too much Hit or Miss for my taste: He'll gamble and Try To Take It To The Corner Too Often when he approaches congested Traffic, when what he should be doing is Taking What He Can Get.

Definite Home Run Potential...But I'm hoping we can train the lad to become more of a Mover Of Chains.

Home Runs & Strike Outs get HighLight Reels ~ after they erase the Strike Outs.

Singles & Doubles, however...win Championships.

And he does have tremendous Potential as a Runner: Mediocre Core Strength, but outstanding Agility and Speed.

What makes'm special, though, is his phenomenal Potential as a Receiver at The Next Level.

Among Receiving HalfBacks ~ and Williams is clearly a FlexBack ~ he has absolutely no equal in this Draft Class.

Kerwynn Williams has the Potential to become one of the very deadliest Weapons in the League.

#190 ~ OT Reid Fragel ~ Ohio State BuckEyes ~ 6075/308

590388370.jpg

Run Blocking ~ Raw, but rapidly and impressively improving. Needs to develop far more Drive Power, mind you.

Pass Blocking ~ Even rawer, but yet with greater Potential. Needs to develop more Core Strength, of course. But after only one Year at the Position, he's learning at an incredible rate, and rapidly piling on Strength & Power. He brings phenomenal Lateral Agility to the table, and a relentless Motor. The Upside here is immense.

Reid Fragel is a very recent Tight End Convertible who shocked and stunned many people, last Year, by coming out'f nowhere and suddenly battening down the Right Tackle spot at Ohio State, without any experience at all.

He's got tons of learning to do, obviously, and God Forbid he gets drafted by a Team who's Offensive Line Coach doesn't know'is Craft...But as Nate "Universal" Solder and many others've illustrated, if a Prospect has phenomenal Talent, exceptional Processing Speed, Raging Desire, and a relentless Work Ethic, all he needs is a Coach who knows his Business, and what most expect to take Years can be mastered in a few short months.

My take? Reid Fragel is precisely that kind of Prospect.

#223 ~ TE Justice Cunningham ~ South Carolina GameCocks ~ 6025/259

380722765.JPG

This is why I love The Draft.

Justice Cunningham has a total of 50 Catches in 4 Years with the ****s, and a total of 1 TouchDown.

Ergo, he's 18,000 miles Under The Radar, based entirely on not being employed as a Receiver by Coach Spurrier.

Big Mistake.

Justice Cunningham is an outstanding Blocker ~ I would say the 2nd most adept Blocking Tight End in the Draft, behind Travis Kelce. And even though he's got lousy "40" Time ~ as if I give a rat's ass ~ the fact is that when they actually throw it to'm, he Releases reliably, Routes surprisingly well, can get open quite consistently, and is an adept and actually somewhat athletic Receiver who can break a Tackle or three.

In other words: whether he's blocking or receiving, he'll kick ass, and he'll Move The Chains.

That, need I repeat it, is what Championships are ultimately made of.

#226 ~ SE DaRick Rogers ~ Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles ~ 6024/216

814835801.JPG

This is an interesting Play.

DaRick Rogers is a clear 1st Round Talent who commands an exhilarating fusion of Size, Strength, and Speed.

And he is passionate.

But that Passion has sometimes been egregiously misdirected ~ at Coaches, you see.

And he's something of a Dope Fiend.

He got kicked out of Tennessee, and even then, rumors persisted about his emotional Volatility.

Seems to me they ought to let the guy smoke a Reefer, now and then.

My Take: We're looking at explosive, dominant UpSide, here.

Multiple Pro Bowl UpSide.

And 7th Rounders don't Get Paid until they Rock & Roll ~ and behave themselves ~ for 4 Years at the Pro Level.

That, Ladies & Laddies, is what I call a Favorable Risk/Reward Ratio.

#229 ~ QB Peter Lalich ~ California Pennsylvania Vulcans ~ 6050/231

451872954.jpg

Motor ~ Relentless. This kid has been through enormous Adversity, but rose above it and tore it up at Cal Penn.

Accuracy ~ Ugliest Passes I've seen in my Life. But Accurate.

Diagnostics ~ Phenomenal Command Of The Game. Hard to assess Battle Speed, considering the Competition.

What we have here is an highly recruited QuarterBack ~ #5 in the Nation ~ who ran his College career onto the Rocks by getting busted on doing things that virtually every last one'f us's done, and which shouldn't even be illegal in The Land of the Free: Drinking Booze & Smoking Pot. Mind you, he shouldn't've been operating a Boat in the latter case, and that's obviously a more serious matter, though hardly a Federal Offense.

That's it.

He didn't Deal Drugs.

He didn't beat up his GirlFriend.

He didn't Rob.

He didn't Steal.

He didn't fight with Cops.

He didn't fight with'is Coaches.

In fact his Coaches love him.

And every last one of his Coaches ~ including the ones who had to let'm go ~ finds both his FootBall Intelligence and his passionate Obsession for FootBall to be flat out ASTONISHING.

I'm crazy about the Kid, and I would love to see him make it.

And I'm here to tell you that he's one of the best QuarterBack Prospects in this entire Draft.

#235 ~ OT Luke Marquardt ~ Azusa Pacific Cougars ~ 6084/315

747659615.jpg

Super Project Luke Marquardt hadn't played any FootBall since his Freshman Year at High School when he joined Azusa Pacific in 2009...and his first Year there was at Tight End. So he essentially has all of 3 Years at Tackle.

You might say he's a bit Raw.

But my GOD, the Potential on this kid.

In terms of sheer Size, Strength, and Athleticism, Luke Marquardt is the equal of the extraordinary Offensive Tackles who went at the top of this Draft, including the top 2 Picks in the entire Nation.

And the others aren't much more refined or developed than Marquardt, himself.

It's a fascinating Process, The Draft.

Luke Marquardt commands the Agility not just to survive but to excel at The Next Level.

But what's happened, here, is that Marquardt comes from an obscure Program that hasn't produced a Draft Pick in 26 Years ~ The Nigerian Nightmare, Baby!! ~ and then he unfortunately compounded his obscurity by missing his entire Senior Year, after which he got hurt at the Combine and again at'is Pro Day.

That raises legitimate questions about'is Durability ~ as does his incredible Height, which is actually far taller than I prefer my Offensive Tackles to be, because I feel they always have to work harder to exert Leverage.

But it also cripples his Draft Stock, because Scouts, General Managers, and Head Coaches are ~ like most Earthlings ~ mostly comprised of tentative Creatures who fear that making Big Bets on obscurities will get them fired.

I, on the other hand, don't give a Rat's Ass.

Luke Marquardt has legitimate Health questions, but his UpSide ~ especially given a phenomenal Offensive Line Coach, someone like, oh, say Dante Scarnecchia?? ~ is spectacular.

#238 ~ DL Lawrence Okoye ~ British Discus Throwers ~ 6051/304

484676822.jpg

Oh, HELL, yeah!!!

For those unaware, Lawrence Okoye hasn't played a Down of FootBall in'is entire Life.

And, yet: Look at me, proposing ~ theoretically ~ to spend a perfectly good Draft Pick on this fellow.

How could that be??

Lawrence Okoye is of course a Champion Discus Thrower ~ and he played a spot of Rugby in'is Youth, wot wot!!

And now he wants to try'is hand at FootBall ~ real FootBall. American FootBall.

Why should we give this Johny Come Lately the Time of Day, much less burn a perfectly good 7th Rounder on'm??

1 ~ 478 in the 40 Yard Dash ~ Better than every single Defensive Tackle at the Combine ~ #1. The next closest guy near his Weight was Nick Williams, at 494. 494!!. That gap between #1 and #2 is flabbergasting.

2 ~ 438 in the Short Shuttle ~ Better than every single Defensive Tackle at the Combine ~ #1.

3 ~ 125 Inches in the Broad Jump ~ Better than every single Defensive Tackle at the Combine ~ #1. The next closest guy near'is Weight was the phenomenal Sheldon Richardson, at 116 Inches. That Gap is ridiculous.

4 ~ 35 Inches in the Vertical Jump ~ Better than every single Defensive Tackle at the Combine ~ #1. Starting to sense a Theme, here? That was 2 full Inches better than anyone else in'is Weight Class, so to speak.

And he has a phenomenal 35 Inch WingSpan.

Hey...

Nobody needs to tell me that a great Athlete does not necessarily make a great FootBall Player.

But if you've read any of this kid's Interviews ~ oh, I highly recommend them ~ his Character ~ his Ambition, his Intelligence, his Vision, his Passion and his raw, human Brilliance ~ are as utterly amazing as his Athleticism.

The fact that nobody drafted this kid is mind-boggling.

True, he's going to need a Year or two or three to get there...But it seems to me that 32 Teams have made note of the thousands and thousands of tremendous Athletes who've never Made It...and drawn spurious Conclusions.

Lawrence Okoye has The Heart of a Lion, Ladies & Laddies.

And my money is on'm making a substantial Impact in Year 2...and rapidly ascending from there...to Stardom.

UFA's ~ Undrafted Free Agents

UFA ~ MF Keith Pough ~ Howard Beefalos ~ 6016/240

176523517.jpg

Oh, I love this guy!!

Keith Pough is a passionate, aggressive, brilliant young FootBall Player who clearly loves this Game and everything that goes into it. I can guarantee that he'll frantically study Tape, work like a Fiend in the Weight Room, and generally do everything he can to become a Great One.

He's tenacious in Run Defense, and yes, bless his heart, he can Turn & Burn and play some Pass Defense.

His Processing Speed is phenomenal, his Core Strength is excellent, and he is passionate.

I believe he's going to be an extraordinary Player for a long, long time, and I would love to have'm!!

UFA ~ XB Damon Harper ~ Boise State Broncos ~ 5091/210

973718733.jpg

Damon Harper's story is an extraordinarily intriguing one.

He once started at Boise State over no less than Doug Martin, but a couple of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries later, he spent Years at the bottom of the Depth Chart as others rose above'm.

Yet he finally emerged in'is 5th Year to win the starting Gig and excelled in his 6th and final Year.

Yet more, he retains, after all this time and these Injuries, extraordinary Agility & Elusiveness. Indeed, perhaps the more appropriate term would be that these've been restored. My private theory is that a couple Years of light work on the lower end of the Depth Chart is often precisely what a body needs to give it time to fully Rest & Repair itself.

Sometimes Less is More.

Damon Harper has emerged from his Exodus as an exceptionally explosive, one who commands a truly deadly combination of outstanding Field Vision & Instincts, extraordinary Processing Speed, and tremendous Elusiveness.

What's more, is that he is a phenomenal Pass Receiving Threat ~ a remarkable Route Runner who works the Field like a WideOut, cuts crisply in and out'f Breaks, and boasts Soft Hands as well as tremendous Technique & Timing.

FlexBacks ~ my term for true Hybrid HalfBacks who can line up in the BackField, at SlotBack, or Split Out ~ are potentially devastating Weapons, all the more so in the 21st Century, and Damon Harper ~ at long last ~ finally has the chance to become an extraordinary one.

UFA ~ DT Will Pericak ~ Colorado Beefaloes ~ 6033/300

935924871.jpg

No chance in Hell that he'd make our Squad ~ or so I think!! ~ but if teaching'm a few things and helping him start off a Career elsewhere was all that our picking'm up led to, I'd be happy: he's a great Kid.

He's also a talented Kid, although a raw one, as you might expect: Impressive Core Strength, superior Driving Power, outstanding Launch Velocity, and terrific Fluidity.

Above all, though, he's got an absolutely raging Motor, and an obviously genuine Passion for the Game.

I actually first stumbled across'm when I was studying up on Nick Kasa, his TeamMate at Colorado, and was struck by the dichotomy between the TeamMates: Kasa started off as a Defender at Colorado, but converted to Tight End...and Pericak started off as a Tight End at Colorado...and became a Defender!!

Not to mention their old TeamMate, our own Nate Solder, who is also a former Tight End!!

Way Under the Radar, but I suspect that Pericak's gonna forge an impressive Career.

UFA ~ WB Willie Carter ~ Tulsa Hurricane ~ 6015/240

722463269.JPG

The Tape I watched wasn't that good, but I enjoyed it, just the same: Willie Carter is an alleged FullBack that combines the beautifully brutal aspects of that Trade with an impressive combination of Core Strength, Drive Power, Burst, and both Lateral Agility and Ricochet in the open field: he is very tough after the Catch.

A thousand miles Under The Radar, but he strikes me as a potentially very dangerous Hybrid Weapon.

UFA ~ SS Ryan McWethy ~ PlatteVille Pioneers ~ 6012/225

666967047.jpg

Outstanding Pro Day Numbers Alert!!

McWethy's phenomenal 663 on the 3 Cones suggests terrific Verticity ~ or at least the Potential to develop it!!

And Verticity ~ Turn & Burn Acuity ~ is essential to playing Strong Safety ~ or Gryphon!! ~ at an high level.

UFA ~ OT Wade Jacobson ~ Washington State Cougars ~ 6057/303

207323263.jpg

Jacobson absolutely crushed it, scoring ludicrously spectacular numbers in both the Vertical and the 3 Cone ~ far better than any Grizzly on Offense or Defense at the Combine!! ~ and scoring well as well in the Short Shuttle.

Those numbers illustrate phenomenal Core Strength, Drive Power, and Lateral Agility.

I know next to nothing about this Kid's Motor, Work Ethic, or FootBall Smarts, but there's absolutely no question that he's got the Raw Potential to become an exceptional Offensive Tackle at the next level.

UFA ~ DT Glenn Foster ~ Illinois Fighting Illini ~ 6036/286

759691419.jpeg

Glenn Foster would've scored the best Vertical & Broad Jumps of all Grizzlies on both sides of the Ball had he been invited to the Combine...and even better than all the Defensive Ends, some of whom he has 40 or 45 Pounds on!!!

And he scored well, as well, in the Bench Press, 3 Cone, and Short Shuttle.

Needless to say, Foster commands diabolically spectacular Core Strength, Drive Power, and Launch Velocity!!

He is raw, of course, as all UFA's and most Prospects in general are, and I read that he looked a little stiff and slow to react in the Positional Drills...But I would certainly love to bring'm in, beef'm up a bit more, and then put'm to work with the greates Defensive Line Coaches we can find...and see what we have, here!!

UFA ~ SE Courtney Gardner ~ Sierra Wolverines ~ 6024/216

991835650.jpg

We are advancing deeper and deeper into The Ether with every Pick, and I love it!!

There're plenty of Red Flags associated with Courtney Gardener: Multiple Brushes with the Law ~ Kid Stuff, if you ask me ~ slow "40" Time, failing'is Math Exam and thus failing to get admitted to Oklahoma ~ which precipitated his decision to declare for the Draft ~ and of course the lowly level of Competition that he excelled against.

Hey, I'm not making any Grand, Sweeping Pronouncements, here: Information is a bit thin on this kid.

But the Kid Stuff was a ways back, he's a decent Student who happens to be awful at Math, and he plays Fast.

I'm basing this on one grainy Tape, OK? And it's Courtney Gardner Propaganda, at that...

But is this kid worth bringing into Camp?? My GOD, Yeah...

FA's ~ Free Agents

FA ~ CB Nnamdi Asomugha ~ Philadelphia Eagles ~ 6024/213

766185503.jpg

2 short years ago, Nnamdi Asomugha was the clear choice as the best Press Corner in the entire World.

Now,
they tell me, he's a Bum.

Philadelphia gave'm a truck full'f money, then played him in Off Coverage...and he sucked.

Now, they tell me, he's old.

He's lost it.

He's lost'is Passion for the Game.

My ass.

Get him here, back to Press Man ~ get'm some decent Coaching for once ~ and he will rise from the Ashes.

RFA ~ Danario Alexander ~ San Diego Lightning Bolts ~ 6045/216

384416249.jpg

Danario Alexander's had 5 Knee Operations on the one Knee.

And he's been told that he's got a Degenerative Condition with that Knee.

Yet a few short months after refusing a 6th Operation ~ in other words: as soon as he cut the notoriously incompetent Medical field out of the process ~ he absolutely torched the NFL, for 5 glorious weeks!!

And for the 9 weeks he played ~ starting 2 weeks after walking in off the street, having never played for San Diego, before, mind you ~ he racked it up at about a 66/1170/12 Pace.

Just like that.

I presume nothing about this fellow's Future...But there is a tendency among the vast majority of Mammals to trust Doctors without reservation ~ a spectacular, foolish mistake ~ and yet to harbor skepticism, even when smacked in the face repeatedly with an shocking revelation, even be it ever so exhilarating!!

In other words: The Bolts, by dint of their insultingly indifferent Original Round Tender ~ Alexander was a UFA ~ clearly have no faith in Alexander's prospects of good health, going forward, and even less interest in retaining his Services ~ all this based, as far's I can tell, on the Medical Diagnosis of a Degenerative Knee ~ and the rest of the League ~ which hasn't pounced on this kid ~ is quite clearly in accord with this Perception of things.

And Alexander? He says'is left Knee now feels the same as'is Right.

I know, I know: 99% of us would say the exact same thing, even if the problematic one ~ his Left, as I recall ~ felt like a thousand Hornets were stinging it ~ all in Hope of Getting Paid, of course.

But what if he's telling the truth??

What if this whole notion of his having a Degenerative Knee is partially or completely misdiagnosed??

What if all his Knee really needed was to be left alone for awhile??

The Body has an amazing ability to heal itself...when it's not being constantly #$%&ed with.

Again: I presume nothing...But I'd love to play a Low Risk/High Reward Bet on this Kid!!

FA ~ DT Glenn Dorsey ~ Kansas City Chiefs ~ 6015/297

379887195.jpg

Glenn Dorsey's had a disappointing run with Kansas City, ever since they drafted'm #5 overall in the 2008 Draft.

But my take is that it's their own fault.

Glenn Dorsey commands a pretty awesome fusion of exceptional Core Strength, Burst, Drive Power, & Fluidity...

But he was poorly deployed at Defensive End against tall Offensive Tackles in the Kansas City "344".

As a stout Run Defender and surging, penetrating Pass Rusher at the "3 Tech" in the "434", however...

He just might rejuvenate his Career and starting kicking ass.

...He just might be awesome.

Buy Low, Baby.

FA ~ CB Bradley Fletcher ~ Saint Louis Rams ~ 6003/195

458462051.jpg

I don't Look Gift Horses In The Mouth.

Despite the fact that the 2013 CornerBack Draft Class is ~ to my eyes ~ utterly awful, beyond the first two Rounds ~ and I don't draft Corners in the first two Rounds if I can possibly help it ~ the corresponding Free Agent CornerBack Class is astonishingly replete with Bargains ~ incredible, mind-boggling Bargains!!

For those of you who're actually reading this: That's right: Despite 25 Picks and 8 UFA's: Not one CornerBack.

I would've expected the corresponding Free Agent CornerBack Market to be flush, as a result...but no!!

In fact, the Free Agent CornerBack Market has collapsed...and Salaries have imploded.

And, so...I pounce!!

Bradley Fletcher is a former early 3rd Rounder who was building a promising Career two Years ago, before he tore'is Anterior Cruciate Ligament, following which he's spent most'f the last two Years on the Bench, while he healed and worked his way back to 100%...as a result of which his Market Value has collpased.

And yet he's flashed exceptional Potential as a Press Man Corner ~ precisely the kind we employ ~ and has reached that perfect point, early in'is Career, where he's talented, able, and finally fully Healthy...a tremendous Bargain.

In a word: A Starting Quality Press Man Corner ~ perhaps a very good one ~ for a Reserve's depressed Salary.

Nice.

FA ~ CB Antoine Cason ~ San Diego Lightning Bolts ~ 6003/192

523233889.jpg

I don't have high expectations from this signing...But Antoine Cason is a former 1st Rounder Press Mann Corner who hasn't missed a single Game in 3 straight Years, and who's Asking Price is Dirt #$%&ing Cheap.

I would be delighted to sign'm up ~ and it wouldn't take much to be the Highest Bidder, Praise Jesus.

With him, Fletcher, and Lottery Ticket Asomugha on board, CornerBack has excellent and cheap Depth of Talent.

HouseKeeping

Resignings

OT Sebastian Vollmer
XB Danny WoodHead
FL Julian Edelman
CB Aqib Talib
MF Dane Fletcher

Divestitures

SB Wes Welker
CB Kyle Arrington
SS Pat Chung
DD Trevor Scott
OG Donald Thomas
TE Michael Hoomanawanui
TE Daniel Fells

Extensions

FS Devin McCourty
SP Zoltan Mesko

Offensive OverView

Top Competitors & Projected # of Roster Spots on Final 53

QuarterBack ~ 3

Tom Brady
Greg McElroy
Peter Lalich

Mike Kafka

Center ~ 1

Ryan Wendell

Offensive Guard ~ 4

Logan Mankins
Hugh Thornton
Joe Tretter

Dan Connolly

Offensive Tackle ~ 4

Sebastian Vollmer
Nate Solder

Reid Fragel
Luke Marquardt
Wade Jacobson

Tight End ~ 3

Rob Gronkowski
Travis Kelce
Justice Cunningham

Jake Ballard

WingBack ~ 3

FW ~ Aaron Hernandez
FW ~ Jordan Reed
SW ~ Ivan Rodriguez
FW ~ Willie Carter

Split End ~ 3/4

Danario Alexander
Christopher Harper
DaRick Rogers
Corey Fuller
Dale Moss
Courtney Gardner

Flanker ~ 1/2

Quint Patton
Julian Edelman

HalfBack ~ 4/5

HB ~ Stephan Ridley
XB ~ Shane Vereen
XB ~ Danny WoodHead
XB ~ Michael Smith
XB ~ Marcus Lattimore
XB ~ Kerwynn Williams
XB ~ Latavius Murray
XB ~ Damon Harper
XB ~ Christopher Thompson

Notes

1 ~ Backup QuarterBacks must master Long Snapping.
2 ~ Backup Offensive Guards must master Center.
3 ~ Backup Center ~ if any ~ must master Offensive Guard.
4 ~ Strong WingBack is more of a Blocker than Receiver.
5 ~ Free WingBack is more of a Receiver than Blocker.

Defensive OverView

Top Competitors & Projected # of Roster Spots on Final 53

Grizzly ~ 4

Vince Wilfork
Brandon Williams
Glenn Dorsey
Armond Armstead
Lawrence Okoye

Will Pericak
Glenn Foster

Dragon ~ 4/5

Chandler Jones
Tank Carradine

Rob Ninkovich
Justin Francis
Jake Bequette

Lion ~ 4

Jerod Mayo
Brandon Spikes

DeVonte Holloman
Dane Fletcher
Keith Pough

Jeff Tarpinian

Gryphon ~ 4/5

Jon Cyprien
DJ Swearinger
Duke Williams
Nate Ebner

Tavon Wilson

Eagle ~ 2

Devin McCourty
Josh Evans

Falcon ~ 1/2

Nnamdi Asomugha
Ras I Dowling

Hawk ~ 2/3

Alfonzo Dennard
Bradley Fletcher
Antoine Cason

Notes

1 ~ The Terms all relate to my Deeply Disturbed Defense ~ The Yankee "425"!!
2 ~ Falcons are the Big CornerBacks.
3 ~ Hawks are the Medium Sized CornerBacks.
4 ~ Sparrows are the Tiny CornerBacks, and we don't abide those!!
5 ~ Falcons, Eagles, & Hawks ~ the Raptors ~ all serve as Depth for one another.

Patriots Prognosis ~ 2013!!

1 ~ Depth of Talent concerns are vaporized. If Kong gets hurt again, we have tremendous Depth of Talent to step in for'm. If Hernandez gets hurt, we have outstanding Depth of Talent to step in for him. And by the end of the Season ~ which is all that matters ~ the phenomenal Coaches we've retained or brought in will very likely have developed our rather amazing Depth of Talent ~ at every last Position ~ to the Point where it can compete...

2 ~ What most Fans don't really realize is that Rookies & Sophomores who have things click during the latter stages of their first full Season ~ as very many of the smartest, most talented ones do ~ have an immense advantage over the Teams they play against, simply because there's nothing ~ no Data ~ with which to chart the Tendencies & Weaknesses of these guys...an advantage that the Veterans that they're going up against do not enjoy.

3 ~ Bringing in the likes of Travis Kelce and Justice Cunningham ~ true Blocking Beasts who are also dangerous down the Seam ~ explosive, in Kelce's case ~ to bookend with Kong will bring utterly incalculable Terror to the rest of the League: Our ability to Run The Damned Ball ~ 60 times a Week, if we were so inclined ~ would skyrocket.

4 ~ And yet the ability of Kong & Kelce or Kong & Cunningham or Kelce & Cunningham to tear a vertical hole right up the middle of either Seam ~ or both Seams!! ~ would bring Defensive Coordinators unprecedented Horror!!

5 ~ Aaron the Navigator, joined by his explosive Protege, Jordan Reed, would give us the ability to create schematic possibilities guaranteed to turn Defensive Coordinators' hair white with babbling, gibbering Terror: Double Wing. Double SlotBack. Double FullBack. Double Split. Trips Left. Trips Right. And 987,000 other delightful Concoctions!!

6 ~ The BackField, of course, would be poised to enjoy its Finest Hour: Shane Vereen, Michael Smith, Kerwynn Williams, and Latavius Murray threaten explosively dangerous versatility on every single Snap. We can deploy 1 of them, or Zero, or 4, on any given Play. The Capacity of Vereen, WoodHead, Smith, and the others to split out wide in an instant is of course horrifying to any Defender, and simply multiplies the exquiste Defensive nightmare!!

7 ~ The Offensive Line should be dramatically improved if they simply stay healthy: Solder, Vollmer, and Mankins are all All Pro Level Talents, after all. I believe that Solder is poised for a big step forward, this year ~ toward Stardom, perhaps ~ and that Mankins ~ with a full offseason to simply heal ~ will be fully healthy for the first time in 2 years, and surprise many people, who assume he's started to age, by returning to'is mauling, brawling Beauty. And if they should get injured, the Depth of Talent is now light years more Athletic & Talented than it's ever been.

8 ~ With the Influx of Glenn Dorsey, Brandon Williams, and Armond Armstead, the Defensive Tackle Depth of Talent will explode, and this crew will finally become the terrifying, dominating Horror that it always should've been!! And Dorsey, Williams, and Armstead will bring an actual Pass Rush to the center of the Line, which will in turn free up Vince Wilfork to bring far more Pass Rushing Rage than he's ever previously been able to!! Once Brandon Williams, in particular, gets rocking and rolling, the combination of Wilfork and him will eclipse even the fabled Duo of Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams...and every other Defensive Tackle Duo that's ever roamed the Land!!

9 ~ Tank Carradine and Chandler Jones are two of the most potentially devastating Pass Rushers of this Era...And if you exclude the Pass Rushers who can't Stop the Run at the level that these guys can, that list shrinks dramatically. If Carradine can actually get Up To Speed in time for Opening Day, the combined effect of these two will be simply awesome. There is truly the Opportunity to forge an harrowingly elite Crew of Two...And there is also very good reason to believe that Justin Francis and Jake Bequette are poised to make significant Impacts in their Sophomore years. All in, this Defense would be poised for nothing short of a spectacular improvement in its Pass Rush.

10 ~ Pass Defense?? Well, we all know that nothing improves Pass Defense like an improved Pass Rush, so I would expect that even if the MidFielders and Secondary simply treaded water, in terms of their Performance, we'd see an equally spectacular improvement in their Results...But of course the seismic Impact of Cyprien & Swearinger in the notorious Middle of our Pass Defense, and the huge jump toward stardom that I expect from McCourty in'is first full Season at Free Safety would transform that Secondary into an attacking Secondary...at long, long last!!

Alternative...

Pass on Tank Carradine, trading #38 to the Rams for the RedSkins 2014 1st Rounder and Change...

Griffin rushes back, gets hurt, goes IR, and the Skins go 3-13, delivering Jadeveon Clowney hither!! :D :rocker:

Alternative...

Pass on Tank Carradine, trading #38 to the Rams for the RedSkins 2014 1st Rounder and Change...

Griffin rushes back, gets hurt, goes IR, and the Skins go 3-13, delivering Jadeveon Clowney hither!! :D :rocker:

Kirk Cousins is too good for 3-13

Kirk Cousins is too good for 3-13

Wrong.

I've always like Kirk Cousins, but to make a flat statement like that is silly.

If you want to make a statement like "The Skins are unlikely to go 3-13 with Kirk Cousins starting 16 Games.", then you're on far more solid ground than you are with your sweeping Declaration.

But you'd be no less silly, for my Post was obviously a Dream Scenario, posted for a chuckle ~ not a Prediction.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back