PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

back ups playing in superbowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
What was up with all the backup defensive players LeKevin Smith,Rashard Moore,Pierre Woods,Merriweather all got playing time. Was this injury driven or was Belichick hoping to preserve his defense for the 4th quarter.

What was up with all the backup defensive players LeKevin Smith,Rashard Moore,Pierre Woods,Merriweather all got playing time. Was this injury driven or was Belichick hoping to preserve his defense for the 4th quarter.
Not sure..but that did happen a lot..not sure what effect it REALLY had on the game....in a negative way..I can not wait to see how many were used and how many plays...

Belichick said after the Panthers Super Bowl that he regretted only having 4 DL active. The long drawn out nature of the game (warmup early because of pre-game show, extended halftime, longer breaks) makes it a more tiring game for the players. He played the backups here and there to keep everyone else fresh for later.

What baffles me more is that Hobbs was on the Giants best reciever all game long. Why wasn't Samuel covering him especially on the last drive? Why wasn't there a safety over the top to help Hobbs when he got juked out of his shoes when Plaxico caught the final TD? As good as Belichick is, there are a lot of things that he does that baffles me. This is one of them.

Last edited:
To be fair Plax did have one catch before that last TD. It was just the wrong playcall on that play.

What baffles me more is that Hobbs was on the Giants best reciever all game long. Why wasn't Samuel covering him especially on the last drive? Why wasn't there a safety over the top to help Hobbs when he got juked out of his shoes when Plaxico caught the final TD? As good as Belichick is, there are a lot of things that he does that baffles me. This is one of them.

i noticed Samuel on Plaxico enough times. They played Plaxico on the left more often though and plus we play a cover 3, so its not like were following the WR anyways

im not sure Samuel is a better option on Burress than Hobbs anyways since Hobbs is more athletic (jumps higher than Samuel and is more physical).

and not to take shots @ Vrabel(who disappeared in the game) but Woods broke the pocket the first time he got in while Vrabel was invisible all night. again..not taking a shot but Woods could be in for a bigger role next year

Last edited:

On that play with an all out blitz as a db you are taught to go after the first move since the QB is suppose to have pressure so he did what he was suppose to do the giants picked up the blitz and that was it

Meriweather has been in the rotation a lot anyway and Gay being in and out just added to that yesterday.

Smith and Woods (not sure about Moore, I missed when he was in) were just in the for the one series that I saw and that was undoubtedly because of the NYG 10 minute opening posession. Just a chance Belichick took to avoid them getting worn out early. Did they play again after that ?

Why wasn't there a safety over the top to help Hobbs when he got juked out of his shoes when Plaxico caught the final TD? As good as Belichick is, there are a lot of things that he does that baffles me. This is one of them.

Giants used the same tricked as they did when they faced us in game 16. Do you remember how Giants scored their last TD in game 16.? They did that to us yesterday.

i'm suprised to see our D coordinator did not pay attention about this. Unfortunately, our Randy Moss trick did not work last night.

One of the things the announcers made mention of was how HUMID it was inside the dome. The Giants were regularly rotating in and out. The Giants also had a crate of bananas in the lockerroom and bananas on the sidelines to help keep the players potassium levels up.

Pierre looked good in there. Maybe he should have come in a few plays during that last drive. Maybe some fresh legs could have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots