PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Back to the subject at hand: DEFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With 2 pages dedicated to TB posts, I figured it might be time to focus on how we played individual and team D. A couple things stuck out to me....KC is a BAD team, and they scored 10 pts on us and none of it was in garbage time. Of course that play in the last minute almost cost us BIG, and thats what the JEST are game planning on us right now.
Sanders looked bad in preseason, but how can a SAFETY play the angle so badly in the final minute?? He was playing the ball not the man(obviously), and this is why he isnt known as a big hitter or playmaker. The other thing of note was that even though Bruschi had a game high 12 tackles he was noticably absent on the final drive and goal line D. I would have thought his lack of speed and playmaking ability would have lent him MORE to goal line....where top speed isnt as important. He just didnt look right on the sidelines watching the D win the game.
And for anyone thinking this is now the JEST season to lose and we are the underdogs....realize they are 3-0 against the Phins in the last season +, and are 2-12 against everyone else. If you want to jump off the bandwagon dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out....Its all about the D!

So you think holding a team to 10 points (would have been if a FG at the end would have helped them) is a bad thing ? KC is NOT a good offense but they aren't incompetent. Gonzalez, Bowe, Johnson, Charles are real talents and your expectations are crazy if you expected a shutout or holding them to 3 points.

With 2 pages dedicated to TB posts, I figured it might be time to focus on how we played individual and team D. A couple things stuck out to me....KC is a BAD team, and they scored 10 pts on us and none of it was in garbage time. Of course that play in the last minute almost cost us BIG, and thats what the JEST are game planning on us right now.
Sanders looked bad in preseason, but how can a SAFETY play the angle so badly in the final minute?? He was playing the ball not the man(obviously), and this is why he isnt known as a big hitter or playmaker. The other thing of note was that even though Bruschi had a game high 12 tackles he was noticably absent on the final drive and goal line D. I would have thought his lack of speed and playmaking ability would have lent him MORE to goal line....where top speed isnt as important. He just didnt look right on the sidelines watching the D win the game.
And for anyone thinking this is now the JEST season to lose and we are the underdogs....realize they are 3-0 against the Phins in the last season +, and are 2-12 against everyone else. If you want to jump off the bandwagon dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out....Its all about the D!

Confusing and contradictory as always JB. So, our defense sucks, but we're still the class of the division because "it's all about the D"? Gotcha.

our defense is frustrating and slow at times but as long as they are convinced the bend dont break style will work for them , cant do anything about it. i just hope they can get off on 3rd downs. also remember , we were playing herm edwards who didnt go for it on 4th and 1 twice.

Of course that play in the last minute almost cost us BIG,
You mean the goal line stand?

Since when does almost count in football? Hobbs almost ran a kick back for a TD. How many points did we get for that? Oh, yeah, the same number KC got for almost scoring a TD of their own.

Buffalo almost made a FG against the Giants, the Browns almost didn't fumble against the Broncos, Tyree almost didn't catch that pass.

Dork.

Since when does almost count in football? Hobbs almost ran a kick back for a TD. How many points did we get for that? Oh, yeah, the same number KC got for almost scoring a TD of their own.

Buffalo almost made a FG against the Giants, the Browns almost didn't fumble against the Broncos, Tyree almost didn't catch that pass.

Dork.

i actually watched that play on nfl.com, as much as the blown coverage, it seems it was blitz which was late coming...

Dork.

I agree. An almost is an almost.

If Drew had scrambled 3 yards shorter than he did against the Jets seven years ago.

We needn't talk about what ifs! They mean NOTHING.

Dork.

Hey DORK, how are you?
Do I have to be more specific??
Was there one bad play that kinda stuck out of the bunch in the last minute that Sanders was out of position and playing the ball instead of the man?? You make me have to talk to you like a kid. I am not talking almost, I am talking about our D against one of the worst teams in the league playing with their backup QB on the road against the AFC super bowl team. I am concerned with our D,knowing TB was down, letting KC back into a game they had no right to be in after their QB went down. Bowe dropped a TD catch or we would have gone to OT. I am suggesting that we talk about what we saw not about a bunch of crap that none of us care about. I am talking about the bad play and seeing if some of us feel like it was an abberation or if we are going to be giving up alot more big plays this year.

Confusing and contradictory as always JB. So, our defense sucks, but we're still the class of the division because "it's all about the D"? Gotcha.

Well, I mentioned some specifics, and I wanted to see if there was anyone else who saw the play after Lincoln was shot. It might sound confusing only because I DO see both sides, and I am neither a homer nor a chicken little. And for some reason some guy calls me a DORK, so I address him as DORK, and now have a little red dot by my name(and he does not! Makes me feel like big Vince looking for a fine!).

Well, how come no one commented on any of those specific plays?? There has got to be some intelligent conversation about THE GAME that doesnt involve a QB,right?

" 'Deserves' gots nothin to do with it "-Clint Eastwood

I think you're still in the 2007 seven mindset my friend we aren't going to blow every/any team(s) out without Brady. Our D only allowed ten points it wasn't a bad performance.

I would say the defense played great.... It was pretty evident early on that whatever they were'nt doing in the preseason, they were doing on sunday. Because they bottled up LJ quite nicely, and if you think D.Bowe is childsplay u are wrong. Not to mention KC's offense is allot more effective with Huard in the game, Croyle is only playin because he's a high pick. They gave up 10 pts. that's a great game for the D. I'm psyched, because they are only going to get better.:D

" 'Deserves' gots nothin to do with it "-Clint Eastwood

I think you're still in the 2007 seven mindset my friend we aren't going to blow every/any team(s) out without Brady. Our D only allowed ten points it wasn't a bad performance.

Hey there Bruschi, just looking for some intelligent conversation without "QB,Brady,Cassel,Bledsoe,sky is falling, or BB is god" in it. I am not in 07, I was talking about the 70+yd catch in the final minute as you likely know. An "almost" is a hail mary coming up short on the final play, I was asking opinions on how comfortable(and seeing if there were more or less specific plays)other posters were in our "new D". I have kinda reserved judgement in the preseason because well, its the preseason. But as a first game, not much of a "real test", how do people think we did. Anything more than "Good"?? LOL

Last edited:
Were we watching the same game? I thought our D played great. The front 7 was outstanding, Seymour's back (if Brady hadn't been injured, this would be THE topic of conversation right now), and O'Neal and Hobbs played pretty well. What more do you want? We can't shut out everyone every week.

are you suggesting benching james sanders?

i'd take him on the team anyday.

This thread seems contradictory. is the defense good or bad?

I think they are pretty darn good considering a new ILB and many new additions to the secondary.

Were we watching the same game? I thought our D played great. The front 7 was outstanding, Seymour's back (if Brady hadn't been injured, this would be THE topic of conversation right now), and O'Neal and Hobbs played pretty well. What more do you want? We can't shut out everyone every week.

Not to mention a rookie MLB. I'm excited. Hey, did I mention the corners were tackl'n too, sweet.;)

are you suggesting benching james sanders?

i'd take him on the team anyday.

This thread seems contradictory. is the defense good or bad?

I think they are pretty darn good considering a new ILB and many new additions to the secondary.

i think the jets defense looked equally good if not better.

Seymour played a heck of a game. I thought the defense played well overall and it's week 1. They'll improve each week. And Crable didn't even play also

i think the jets defense looked equally good if not better.

I didn't get to watch the jets game except for some hilights and the end. It will be a tough challenge for Cassel. I expect to see everyone standing up at some point in the game to confuse Cassel. I expect weird combinations.

We can throw the Miami Jets game out the window. Different personnel for each team. This week is another test for each team and a HUGE divisional game.

What's the over/under on how many times the Cheifs score 10 or fewer points this year?

Did you really use the fact that the patriots held them to 10 to support your argument that the defense did NOT play well?

FINALLY an answer, save the wise cracks! THERAPY,LOL. Getting people to talk about the game without all the QB stuff will help everyone who frequents this site. I try to be even handed, and YES obviously the front 7 played a great game. Did anyone else have the same questions I had about Bruschi missing the goal line stand? Was I seeing things or did Hobbs leave the field for a little while with an injury? I havent watched the replay yet besides that McGruder film....anyone else hearing Costner in your head "down, and to the left"?? Seymour was around the ball but how did he do against Albert?? Any specific plays to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes