PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Back to the game, Adalus Thomas vs. Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norv Turner, folks Norv Turner ....hes a horrible HC

Do you think you defeated us at the line of scrimmage last game? If so, how so?

Bolts,

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Then the Pats can say whether or not we're tired of beating you guys. I'll be there to do my part from keeping Rivers from hearing a peep.

One thing is for sure... you will never be an opinion-maker on this board, or anywhere else.

Bolts,

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Then the Pats can say whether or not we're tired of beating you guys. I'll be there to do my part from keeping Rivers from hearing a peep.

One thing is for sure... you will never be an opinion-maker on this board, or anywhere else.
No, here's what's forsure. You're no judge or jury. ;)

Heheh, good luck with that. I dare Adalius to try it. The minute he does SD is bringing LT up the gut or off tackle.

Thomas has shown he can do the job.

Last year when Thomas played for the Ravens they played against one another. Gates had 4 catches for 41 yards without a TD, in a game Baltimore won 16-13. After the game, DC Rex Ryan said the key to holding Gates down was Thomas ability to cover him.

In fact, last year Thomas played against Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Alge Crumpler, who share quite a few Pro Bowl appearances among themselves. Those 3 combined had 9 catches for 88 yards and zero TDs. Considering one of Thomas' prime responsibilities with the Ravens was covering the TE, it is safe to look at those numbers and say he does a pretty good job.

Considering the matchups, it wouldn't surprise me if the Patriot TE's out-perform the San Diego TE's.

BTW, Antonio Gates and Thomas are very good friends, and have a friendly rivalry going on. There is a lot of respect between them.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, AD wasn't bad at basketball, as was Gates.

I think that BB is going to put on the full court press on Gates - AD is going to have help, but honestly, I don't think he needs as much as Charger fans seem to think he does.

This is the game where AD -really- breaks the mold; here's hoping.

AT might slow down Gates on short stuff, but if Gates can get down the middle on 15 yards plus, watch out. It is going to be awesome.

Watch out for Buster Davis. I think he is going to have a huge game with all of the attention on Gates and Jackson and LT.

Davis will catch 7 passes for 93 yards and a TD, his first in the NFL.

Heheh, good luck with that. I dare Adalius to try it. The minute he does SD is bringing LT up the gut or off tackle.
Good luck with that? You dare him to try? Are you a moron? He already did it. Last year Thomas did exactly that to Gates, and you lost the game.

AT might slow down Gates on short stuff, but if Gates can get down the middle on 15 yards plus, watch out. It is going to be awesome.
It was awesome last year when AD shut down Gates and you lost. And you want it to happen again?

Last edited:
Am I the only person much more concerned about LDT than Gates?

If Gates has a great game he touches the ball 10 times. LDT will touch it 30 times. That is 30 opportunities for him to make a big play.

Oh, and Gates even requires Rivers to get him the ball in the first place.

I'd rather have Thomas shadowing LDT, preventing him from making big plays. Remove big plays and LDT is a mediocre back (I know, thats like saying "remove the short and intermediate routes and Brady is a mediocre QB").

Also, lining up Thomas opposite Gates allows SD to have Gates block Thomas on every running play. I want Thomas free to pursue LDT.

Baltimore could afford to lock Thomas on Gates all game. I don't think NE can.

Watch out for Buster Davis. I think he is going to have a huge game with all of the attention on Gates and Jackson and LT.

Davis will catch 7 passes for 93 yards and a TD, his first in the NFL.

No offense, but no one is going to pay attention to Jackson.

If Gates has a great game he touches the ball 10 times. LDT will touch it 30 times. That is 30 opportunities for him to make a big play.

I'd rather have Thomas shadowing LDT, preventing him from making big plays. Remove big plays and LDT is a mediocre back (I know, thats like saying "remove the short and intermediate routes and Brady is a mediocre QB").

Also, lining up Thomas opposite Gates allows SD to have Gates block Thomas on every running play. I want Thomas free to pursue LDT.

Nobody is talking about LT because we won't stop him. Best case scenario is he ONLY runs for around 100 yds, 3.5 ypc and a TD. What we can stop is the big play, which will likely come from Gates.

And since the Bolts fan can't think of another skill player I'll come to his defense. Rivers is an up and coming top QB. Right now he's an excellent game manager, give him a few weapons and a less run oriented offense and he's just below top 5 level.

The key to the Pats' D is how much penetration we can get on Rivers to put pressure on him to force throws early and make mistakes. If we can do that, then Thomas can key on Tomlinson - he's their most dangerous weapon and we will lose if we can't stop him (not that we won't...just a hypothetical). Gates will have to be dealt with in a more conventional way and hopefully he won't burn the secondary too much.

Might as well bump a thread about the actual game.

Nobody is talking about LT because we won't stop him. Best case scenario is he ONLY runs for around 100 yds, 3.5 ypc and a TD. What we can stop is the big play, which will likely come from Gates.

I think the big play likely comes from Tomlinson, since he'll touch the ball at least 3x as often as Gates. Holding Tomlinson to 100 yds and 3.5 ypc would be great, and well worth accomplishing.

Like I Said !!!! Ad Biatches!!!!

I'm friggin aroused just thinking about the possibility of Thomas shutting down Gates.

YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! I FRIGGIN LOVE ADALIUS!!!!! TOUCHDOWN BABY 24-0!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back