Welcome to PatsFans.com

Back to the Future?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some sobering thoughts, in case anybody needs any:

It was May 1939. In a little more than 30 months, the Empire of Japan would spoil America's splendid isolation (a term that actually refers to a period in British foreign policy) and drag us into World War II, thus ending the Great Depression.

But on that May afternoon, electric fans cooled the House Ways and Means Committee room as the congressmen puzzled over the economy's persistent doldrums. No previous recession had lasted even half as long. The unemployment rate had again topped 20 percent -- though it had been seven years since the New Deal began. Henry Morgenthau, Roosevelt's Treasury Secretary, was testifying, and he was brutally honest about the results of the greatest (to that time) experiment in Keynesian fiscal policy.

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises ... I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started … And an enormous debt to boot."

Burton Folsom Jr. in his new book, "New Deal or Raw Deal," has unearthed the above quote and much more -- an extraordinarily timely bit of historical housekeeping. Over the weekend we learned that several GOP governors, starting with Louisiana's Bobby Jindal, are going to decline funds from the "stimulus" bill just passed by lopsided Democratic majorities in Congress. This, too, has happened before.

Mona Charen : Back to the Future? - Townhall.com

<Editor's note: the original article published has the Japanese invasion of America at "6 months" from May of 1939, obviously a typographical error. >

//
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Jindal is considered a "rising star"... and this may put him in the limelight.. but as there is still so much to be rebuilt in NOLA and the surrounding parishes... this may prove to be foolhardy... what would happen if the people of LA. then voted him out??? Would he still be a rising star???
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What is so great about New Orleans, anyway?? It has a mayor who won't take care of his own people. All he does is blame others for his own malfeasance. The city itself is notorious as a hotbed of sleeze and witchcraft, fornication, adultery, drunkeness, and dissolution. That's worth saving when there are people trying to live properly in the world but don't have enough food to put in their stomachs??

Whether it's Jindal or someone else does not matter. America needs fresh ideas, not the same old tired out methods tried and failed already by both parties, including Franklin Roosevelt's failed economic policy. If Obama marries that same course, start taking Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic classes. You're going to need them.

//
  4. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey PR! Lets go! sounds like fun!!:rocker::rocker::eat2::eat2:
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Birthplace of ...oh I don't know...JAZZ

Delta from the mighty mississippi river, and a MAJOR shipping port

Southern French Cajun cuisine, a little pocket of something special in the south.

New Orleans is pretty cool.
  6. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thats an amazing quote, and echoes what many of us feel. The government throwing money at the problem(specifically, our money) has never worked and will not work here. The fastest way to get the economy back on track? Have the government get out. It's as simple as that.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You are, without a doubt, the most repressed human being I have ever encountered.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Through this world of toil and snares,
    If I falter, Lord, who cares?
    Who with me my burden shares?
    None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee

:bricks:
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Another fan of the "Cincinnati Kid". Good movie, but the city still is a self-inflicted drain. They can't even bury their own dead there; they got to put them in concrete boxes *above* ground because if they dig down 6 feet they hit water.

//
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Unlike Obama he may stick with his current job long enough to acquire some skeletons but like Obama all you have to do is watch him speak and realize why he's a rising star - he speaks very well; unlike Obama, though, I actually agree with him :D
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well, of course you do. He's republican, and not black.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I agree with most Black Republicans too. You are too stupid to realize that.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Perhaps you occassionally align yourself with the public statements of the token black republican politician or two. Great. But we all know, deep down, you'd never want one running the country.

I'll let you get back to pretending I'm the dumb one here. Whatever makes you feel better inside. LOL.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Believe it or not there can be Black Republicans who are not "tokens". The fact that you consider every Black Republican to be a token shows that you are the racist, not me.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  16. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wow, you're obviously incredibly ignorant, incredibly racist, or both.
  17. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

I wouldn't even bother with that tool. He is so clueless, his posts make for great laughter at the office, though.
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Because of WWII, we deficit spent heavily and got out the Depression. Nazi Germany got out of its depression the same way. The Keynsian complaint about Roosevelt was that he deficit spent enough to get out of the depression, but not enough to get out of perpetual recession. By the way, prior to Roosevelt, we had many more recessions than we've had since him. The belief that when the market fails, government must restart it is very sound. Otherwise, how do you break the spiral that when companies lay off people, people have less money to spend, which forces companies to lay off more people. Even the icon of the right, Ronald Reagan understood this, and was one of the biggest deficit spenders in our history. The blind faith that market always corrects itself is based on nothing.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yet, you can't stop "bothering" with me, can you, little man?

Run along now. The military channel has some great stuff on about bombing innocent civilians.
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

This is the depth of Con man irony. Just play the opposite game, and pretend the progressives are somehow the racists, while dismissing hundreds of blatantly racist posts by David Duke above. That's awesome.

Anyhow, name me more than 12 republicans who are black. And try and avoid "I know this guy at work who... "