PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Back from Colts Land. They are never going to win a Superbowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
workhorse said:
I think it's fine to go for the endzone on second down. If they score, you would never question it saying even though they scored they really should have just gone for the first down. I think the third down play is where they should have gone for the first. But the fact that they didn't doesn't mean they "lost site (or sight) of the big picture." It means that they had confidence in their kicker to be able to make a 45 yard field goal or however long it was. Was going for it the wrong choice? In hindsight, yes. I said as much when I sat back down in my seat. But if they would have scored the touchdown or made the fieldgoal, you wouldn't be questioning it.

I suppose there are any number of "what if" scenarios for that game - and you are right... IF your CB cuts right and avoids Big Ben and scores a TD, we're not having this conversation

IF Peyton tosses a TD pass we;re not having this conversation

IF he gets them within better FG range we're not having this conversation

IF Vanderjerk kicks the FG we're not having this conversation

Which raises the issue that time after time and game after game the Colts seem to find a way to lose... so you're right in not just focusing on one or two plays, but collectively, I think there has to be a great degree of concern in Colts nation whether the coaches, personnel, or a combination of both are preventing your post season success

This is not just an abberation - something's broke and the Colts need to fix it

workhorse said:
I think it's fine to go for the endzone on second down. If they score, you would never question it saying even though they scored they really should have just gone for the first down. I think the third down play is where they should have gone for the first. But the fact that they didn't doesn't mean they "lost site (or sight) of the big picture." It means that they had confidence in their kicker to be able to make a 45 yard field goal or however long it was. Was going for it the wrong choice? In hindsight, yes. I said as much when I sat back down in my seat. But if they would have scored the touchdown or made the fieldgoal, you wouldn't be questioning it.

To me it seemed like the TD should have been tried for after the first down. I was laughing at the Colts as they tried for it, even though it was a good throw, they should have been thinking that they needed to save their season and find a way into overtime. A 46yd fg is not easy especially at the end of a game. What team really wants to put the game (and season) on the shoulders of a kicker. Even Pats fans would admit that as much as we trust Adam, it is not a pleasant feeling to have a 46 yd FG determine the fate of a playoff game.

They did throw for the endzone on second down. The play on third down was around the 10 yard line or so.

So, Workhorse, Do you have any comcerns about Mannings ability to get it done in the Playoffs? That is my main point. Do Colts fans see this as a telltale sign that maybe Peyton is not "the guy" to get y'all a SuperBowl ?

Calhoun44 said:
So, Workhorse, Do you have any comcerns about Mannings ability to get it done in the Playoffs? That is my main point. Do Colts fans see this as a telltale sign that maybe Peyton is not "the guy" to get y'all a SuperBowl ?

Not really. You can't pin that loss on just Manning. Did his play contribute to the loss? You bet. His numbers show an overall decent game, but he was out of synch in the first half. Once they started using the TE more, he looked a lot better. The team as a whole looked really flat at the beginning of the game. They answered that old rest vs rust question. I think they is plenty of blame to be spread around for that loss. Who scouted the Steelers? They didn't know they would be throwing to the TE? That just killed them until they finally adjusted about half way through the game. Pittsburgh's pass rush/blitzing worked very well. The Colts' o-line, while very good at not giving up sacks, has been slipping the latter half of the season and it really showed up in the Steeler game. Heck, did you see that series before Bettis fumbled, when the Colts turned it over on downs? That fourth down play especially, man that was the fastest I've seen somebody get sacked in a long time. Peyton and the receivers weren't on the same page on several throws, who knows why. But to put the blame solely at Peyton's feet is a cop out. I know nearly everyone on this board hates him, so he is not going to get much love around here, but you'd be lying to say he's not one of the best QBs in the league. I know of about 25 or 30 teams that would take Peyton on their team as they look to the Super Bowl, present company excluded.

I am not pinning the loss on Peyton. I am asking if doubt is creeping into the minds of Colts fans. Bledsoe used to do similar things for The Pats and he even led us to a Super Bowl, But there was a feeling around NE that he couldn't win the big one. That is the main point that I am curious about.... I think many here see a lot of Bledsoe in Manning on the field.

Calhoun44 said:
I am not pinning the loss on Peyton. I am asking if doubt is creeping into the minds of Colts fans. Bledsoe used to do similar things for The Pats and he even led us to a Super Bowl, But there was a feeling around NE that he couldn't win the big one. That is the main point that I am curious about.... I think many here see a lot of Bledsoe in Manning on the field.

I think you may find some of that creeping in, but for the most part, after the frustration of the loss passes, most know that Peyton is the best shot that the Colts have at winning a Super Bowl anytime soon. Like him or not, he can take over a game and totally demoralize a defense. It just so happens that he hasn't put a string of those games together when it matters most. To say he can't do it in the playoffs would be incorrect, just ask Denver. I know all of their fans breathed a huge sigh of relief when they saw they were playing Pittsburgh instead of the Colts. The key for the Colts is to keep their offense in place while their defense improves and not to let the pendulum (sp?) swing the other way.

workhorse said:
I think you may find some of that creeping in, but for the most part, after the frustration of the loss passes, most know that Peyton is the best shot that the Colts have at winning a Super Bowl anytime soon. Like him or not, he can take over a game and totally demoralize a defense. It just so happens that he hasn't put a string of those games together when it matters most. To say he can't do it in the playoffs would be incorrect, just ask Denver. I know all of their fans breathed a huge sigh of relief when they saw they were playing Pittsburgh instead of the Colts. The key for the Colts is to keep their offense in place while their defense improves and not to let the pendulum (sp?) swing the other way.

A lot of that has to be because they'll have a home game vs. going to Indy.

Fanfrom1960 said:
A lot of that has to be because they'll have a home game vs. going to Indy.

That may be partly true, but I know a lot of them did want to face a team that 41 and 49 on them in the playoffs the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back