Welcome to PatsFans.com

Baby Boomers did nothing!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 5, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yes, that is the argument put forth by one of our members. he actually BLAMES baby boomers for not making something like Obama getting elected sooner rather than giving them the credit for starting the whole movement.

This is his assessment of baby-boomers;

"The baby-boomers and what's left of their parents are fading in terms of influence, and their children have set the agenda. Considering my disdain for what I consider to be a failure of a generation, my parent's generation, those people in their late forties, fifties and sixties now, I couldn't be happier."

Yes, folks, that's right, he's saying baby-boomers are the failure of a generation....they're losers! Damn those selfish baby boomers, they sacrificed NOTHING in order to bring about change in America:rolleyes:

So maybe we can collectively educate this man on the biggest cultural revolution in American history that was all started by baby boomers and how our influence on society has made the election of Barach Obama possible.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Every generation changes the Culture. Every generation has their sound.

The only reason why the Baby Boomers feel more special, is because there is more of them than any others... ( once again a very selfish view of their place in this country )

I would say the generation before you is what did the most for this country. Survived the Stock Market crash, the Dust Bowl, and 2 World Wars, which lead to equality for Women in the work place, and was instrumental with starting the country on a path of equality with enlisting black men in the army.

Compare the Baby Boomers to their previous generation, and the baby boomers sound and look like just a bunch of druggies who whine a lot... hmm that sounds familiar...

So the morale of the story, every generation prior to the current one feels they are more worthy then the current generation, and every new generation feels more influencial than the old one... You were probably saying the EXACT same things Ritcher is saying now, only about 40 years ago... What's different from your father yelling at you to put the bong down and get a job and do something with your life... then you guys telling us we haven't accomplished anything yet...

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I am not calling any generation a failure, someone else did that, not me. My argument is that the baby boomer generation was HUGELY successful in many ways. So this thread will not include what other generations have or have not done. It is only to show that baby boomers are a far cry from being "failures" and that what happened last night is owed to that generation more than any other. You are the off-spring of that generation, are you not?

FACT: The biggest cultural change in American history began in the 1960's. Every history book you'll read will tell you that. Thousands of people died in that effort. It was a violent and peaceful, angry and loving REVOLUTION.

Yes, things always "change" but not like they did in the 60's & 70's. So don't try to equate normal generational changes to revolutions. You should be embaressed to even attempt that argument.

The courage and will it took to do what we did had nothing to do with how many baby boomers there were. Do you think we knew we were baby-boomers or were aware how many of us existed? Of course not.

The generation before us "endured" and fought against forces thrust upon them and they are indeed a great generation. But they had NO CHOICE. Baby boomers MADE THE CHOICE to fight wrongs. There is a huge difference. Do you realize how close America came to total anarchy during the 60's?

4. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Can we stick to one thread?

You know, your demonstrated one of the reason why I can't stand the baby boomers selfishness... It's not all about you guys, you didn't make this country and you don't own the exclusive rights as "The Greatest Americans"... sorry.

Every generation builds off the previous in order to blaze their own path...

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

lets stick here.

Where did I say baby boomers are the greatest. MY point, and I'd like to stick to it, is that they are far from being failures in any way, shape or form. And anyone who says that is just plain ignorant or uneducated.

So based upon your statement, how can you defend Richter's comments?

6. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think as far as leaving the country in better shape than they got it, they failed. Environmentally, and Economically. Let's not even count the number of assets that were sold to foreign countries all for a profit. Imagine that happening in your Dads days...

As far as civil issues, your right, your generation continued a trend of pushing boundaries that is every American generation ( remember the Flappers of the 20s )

7. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Technically... I never defended his statement, I kind of just blazed my own points.

I don't feel any generation is a failure, unless they leave the country with a loss of freedoms and liberty to the next generation. That would be a failure. As long as there is a route to change, then the generation simply did what it felt was best for them and left an opportunity for the next generation to make their own way.

Each generation rises through their own unique sets of challenges, and leaves to the next generation their own set of problems to work through.

8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 13 / -20

#75 Jersey

Sorry, but categorizing a person based on a generation is ridiculous.

I know stick-in-the-mud 20 year olds, and I know really forward-thinking 80 years olds.

Classifying people based on age or generation is the refuge of the LAZY. It is also the one issue where I was most disgusted with the media concerning their treatment of John McCain.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I can't continue a discussion with a fool...sorry

10. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The only thing that matter to a generation...

Did they defend the constitution and the freedom and liberty it bestows to it's people. If they can pass on the country with the same freedoms they enjoyed, than the generation did it's job.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Thank you for the voice of reason.

I have always like John McCain and I always will.

12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I know I know, us Gen Xers just can't accept the facts and experience and follow what our elders tell us...

I wonder where we got that from...

Thanks Baby Boomers! ;)

13. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Opposed too...
    Good points and bad points, and there was a LOT of bad things and good things you guys were responsible for, I think for every extreme you guys experiences, there was an equally bad extreme you created as well... A turbulent time in deed, but times of volatility does not mean the "most awesomeness" generation.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Even greater than all the above....

-What were they willing to sacrifice in order to attain or maintain the ideals for which we stand?...nothing is a more important measure of character than that.

and the ultimate are those who can pass on even greater freedoms than the previous generation.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I never, ever used the word "MOST". I just said awesome and I stand by that as will history. The same may be said about your generation in time with the changes toward "Green", etc.

16. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Technically the constitutions already gives every citizen every freedom needed... Breaking the barriers is important as well.

My closing arguments is simply that the Baby Boomer generation is nothing special compared to any others, and I'm fairly certain when i'm your age, we are going to accomplish a lot and sacrafice things that make us think we are better than you, just as you feel towards the generation before you, and them before them...

17. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Generational War On Patsfans:D

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +485 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Good, then because in your closing you just said Richter was wrong and that baby boomers are not "a failure of a generation"

Thanks buddy!;)

He was wrong for that, but strangely, you did not want to admit it even though you just did

PS Your "Technically the constitutions already gives every citizen every freedom needed" was a line of bullsh1t. Because if all we needed was in the constitution, we'd be an eff'd up country. That why we have so many AMENDMENTS to the constitution! ;)

19. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Exactly...

EVERY generation claims the best over the previous. Is there a generation that has ever been a worse generation than the previous?

So far, our country has just grown and grown, so as long as that continues, we that will hold true. However the current generation in power has really put up quite a few challenges for us with outsourcing, and this financial mess... As well as the the HUGE DEBT our country is in...

It will be quite a challenge for us to maintain the growth when you start with a 10 trillion in debt from the start.

20. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I never said he was right either... :rolleyes::confused: