PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B.J Raji tested positive (refuted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsmaniac

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Go to SI.com. Appears he tested positive for some drug at the combine. It says he tested positive for the Gigglebush before. If he cant stop smoking with all this on the line he will def turn into another Ricky Williams.

He shud open a bong shop instead of playing in the NFL.

Go to SI.com. Appears he tested positive for some drug at the combine. It says he tested positive for the Gigglebush before. If he cant stop smoking with all this on the line he will def turn into another Ricky Williams.

Word was four players tested positive for drugs at the combine, but their names were being held pending a re-test. Supposedly two were first-round candidates.

Last edited:
Word was four players tested positive for drugs at the combine, but their names were being held pending a re-test. Supposedly two were first-round candidates.

Very interesting. This could be the first big shakeup of the top 10 before the draft, or a big nothing. I believe Raji had some history of MJ use, so I don't think it's entirely shocking. But if it drops him to the mid-1st round or later, that would be huge. I would still consider Raji and absolute steal if he fell anywhere close to where the Pats are picking. Raji at 23 (or with a trade-up) and Barwin at 34 would be my absolute top combo in the entire draft, bar none.

Glad I didn't take him #1 overall with the Lions now. :p

He's still top 5 material IMO. If you recall Amobi Okoye and Gaines Adams tested positive for pot just prior to the 2007 draft. And they both went in the top 10.

Last edited:
I don't think they tested positive, I think they simply admitted to using it in the past.

Very interesting. This could be the first big shakeup of the top 10 before the draft, or a big nothing. I believe Raji had some history of MJ use, so I don't think it's entirely shocking. But if it drops him to the mid-1st round or later, that would be huge. I would still consider Raji and absolute steal if he fell anywhere close to where the Pats are picking. Raji at 23 (or with a trade-up) and Barwin at 34 would be my absolute top combo in the entire draft, bar none.

Yeah I think it wont be anything big but maybe he could slip to around #12 or so (Assuming Denver doesn't want him) I would like for us to trade up and get him. Yes he has tested positive for Marijuana before but lets hope it was just that.

I'm sure you feel the same way about Randy Moss and Kevin Faulk right?

Last edited:
Just as a reminder, a guy by he name of Warren Sapp slipped in a draft about fifteen years ago after testing positive for weed, and being rumored to testing positive for coke. As I recall he went on to have an okay career. In other words, don't write off Raji's career quite yet.

Raji won't make it past Denver.

Raji isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier. He was an academic casualty in 2007. Failing a drug test at what is essentially a job interview seems par for the course...

Slip to 23 and come to PAPPA!!!!!!:woohoo:

Glad I didn't take him #1 overall with the Lions now. :p

He's still top 5 material IMO. If you recall Amobi Okoye and Gaines Adams tested positive for pot just prior to the 2007 draft. And they both went in the top 10.

Until this bit of devastating news, I thought Detriot should take him at #1. Now, depending on the severity of his usage, he may not even be on my draft board. Very Sad! And very stupid on his part.

Wow he smoked weed? Who cares. It's really not a big deal. He'll at least stop smoking during the season because he'll be tested for it now probably. I hope he falls. If he fell to 23 I will be laughing my butt off.

Except he now has one strike.Next time its a 4 game suspension. But you have to be pretty stupid. This will cost him millions. That must be some awfully fine weed to be worth a million dollars a joint. Or you have to be extremely S-T-U-P-I-D.:eek:

That must be some awfully fine weed to be worth a million dollars a joint.

Seriously.
These guys need to wake up and at the very least educate themselves about the drug. It stays in your system for awhile; he may have only smoked a couple of weeks prior but there'll still be traces left in his system so if they know they've got a test coming up it might be wise to sacrifice the Now for those fantastic benefits of the Later.

Phelps lost millions, Faulk went through a lot too and so did Ricky Williams. It can happen to anybody. Look at Tommy Chong-his incarceration wasn't even due to drugs,it was due to an item closely associated with drugs.

This will cost him millions.

No it won't. He's going to be drafted where he was before. He's far too talented of a player and teams are willing to overlook that. Charles Rogers went #2 after pissing hot, Calvin Johnson went #2 after admitting drug use (and Gaines Adams and Amobi Okoye were picked where they were supposed to be). Other than the possibility of a suspension with the two strike system, no one's going to be tepid about drafting Raji, who has the potential to end up as a superstar.

He won't get passed GB at 9 IMO.

He won't get passed GB at 9 IMO.

I'd honestly be surprised if he gets by the Chiefs at 3, though Orakpo and Curry might be other options. If he doesn't get picked there, no way he's not a Seahawk.

Wow he smoked weed? Who cares. It's really not a big deal. He'll at least stop smoking during the season because he'll be tested for it now probably. I hope he falls. If he fell to 23 I will be laughing my butt off.

I think there are 2 reasons to care. First, it shows poor judgment, and possibly lack of commitment. If you know you are going to be going through a process involving close scrutiny and still test positive, it suggests that you are either not very bright or not very motivated. Second, a history of repeated use carries a risk of violations down the road, leading to suspensions. No matter how good the player, they can't help very much if they can't get on the field.

With that in mind, I hope he falls all the way to #23.

Raji's representatives dispute failed test - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
“Last Thursday, at least two websites published malicious rumors – characterized as fact – that our client B.J. Raji failed a drug test at the NFL Combine, citing unnamed ‘NFL team sources.’ On Friday, the NFL issued a statement challenging the foundation for these reports and indicating that neither the League, nor its member clubs, know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine and that the independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players – and only those players – who tested positive at the Combine.

B.J. Raji has NOT received any letter from the NFL or the Independent Administrator indicating that he tested positive for drugs at the Combine. Further, after these unsubstantiated reports surfaced, B.J. contacted the independent medical advisor’s office (Dr. Lawrence Brown) to confirm that he had not been sent any letter and has not been entered into the NFL’s Drug Intervention Program. B.J. did not receive a return call from Dr. Brown, but learned today that Dr. Brown is not allowed to talk to any player directly unless that player was sent a letter informing him that he had failed a drug test at the NFL Combine and/or been instructed to contact Dr. Brown. That Dr. Brown will not talk to B.J. – as Dr. Brown would otherwise be expected to do under the NFL Substance Abuse Policy if B.J. had failed a drug test or being sent a letter directing him to contact the medical advisor’s office – is further proof that these reports are untrue.

“In short, and as we have known all along, the media reports accusing B.J. of a failed drug test at the Combine are false. Given the cowardly attacks and damage to B.J.’s character as a result of these vicious rumors, we sincerely hope that the responsible parties are discovered and held accountable for their actions. For the sake of B.J. and his family, we look forward to putting this hurtful allegation behind them and seeing B.J. fulfill his lifetime dream of being drafted by an NFL team.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes