PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ayers and Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always specifically attributed the arrival of Wright and Casillas in Foxboro to Coach Schiano and his "advisory" role on the team. I think that's hard to dispute. And, right or wrong, I've attributed the addition of Branch and Ayers to Mike Lombardi, although that may be a fiction on my part.

The mid-season pro-player trades that we've made this year have been palpably better than in recent years. I think it's a natural byproduct of having advisors who are intimate with players and film from other conferences in the NFL. Not unlike when we signed a bunch of Denver players when McDaniels rejoined the staff.

Interesting thought. If Lombardi is acting as a scout in terms of identifying bargain talent already in the NFL who might be good fits, he is doing a great job.

I tell you, Branch hits like a truck! He is going to cause someone to fumble with one of those hits.

Ayers has been everything yah ePats could have possible hoped for and more. BB stole Ayers and Casillas. Imagine how screwed the Pats would have been last Sunday without those two.

I've always specifically attributed the arrival of Wright and Casillas in Foxboro to Coach Schiano and his "advisory" role on the team. I think that's hard to dispute. And, right or wrong, I've attributed the addition of Branch and Ayers to Mike Lombardi, although that may be a fiction on my part.

The mid-season pro-player trades that we've made this year have been palpably better than in recent years. I think it's a natural byproduct of having advisors who are intimate with players and film from other conferences in the NFL. Not unlike when we signed a bunch of Denver players when McDaniels rejoined the staff.

I think BB can get film and a lot of different views of players, whether they are frustrated, or just fakers. that's where having a guy he trusts like Lombardi makes the difference. Schiano must be quite honest to tip him off to players Schiano couldn't get anything out of that BB would, that's unusual.

Players are human, they get mad and frustrated, they lash out when they think they aren't getting an opportunity or are taken for granted. Hard to tell if that's the case, or deep down they are a holes and fakers. BB could see how frustrated Dillon and Moss were, after years of production and a love of the game, to be stuck in bad situations with bad teams. With lesser players, hard to tell.

We've had plenty of fakers. I always think of Steve Martin, the NT who was going to allow us to go 3-4 full time. Great, smiling interviews, while our run defense devolved.

But wait...Belichick the GM sucks :rolleyes:

I can't remember many better years Belichick has had with his personnel decisions.

Schiano must be quite honest to tip him off to players Schiano couldn't get anything out of that BB would, that's unusual.

Really? I think it's a pretty natural thing. What else would Schiano be getting paid to do?

There's no reason to believe that he has to be ashamed of in his coaching job with Wright and Casillas. He may have gotten fired for any number of things, but the game performance of these two players is probably not on the list.

Schiano had Tim Wright at Rudgers, and the kid made a pretty successful transition to TE in Tampa Bay while Schiano was there. He really only disappeared from the stat sheets after Lovie came in with a new staff. So what would Schiano want to hide? The kid is his protege.

Schiano and Belichick were part of a mutual admiration society while Schiano was in the college game. And now he's on the Kraft payroll. Nothing could be more natural than Schiano tipping his buddy Belichick off to a couple of his favorite former players, buried on the depth chart at Tampa, underappreciated by the new administration, and probably available in a trade. Why would Schiano have any loyalties to the Tampa organization, after being fired. Seems natural that he'd try to pry his guys out of there.

From Belichick's perspective, it would be absolutely inconceivable that he'd pursue the Mankins trade without close consultation with Schiano. Targeting Wright as part of the trade package has Schiano's fingerprints on it. The good news is that his info was good. Wright has been a terrific young player for the Pats even without the benefit of training camp or preseason snaps.

Casillas was a backup at Tampa and is a backup in Foxboro. As his former head coach, Schiano would be able to describing the guy's strengths and weaknesses in detail. His mental facilities, how he prepares, how he handles injuries, how he studies film. Schiano would have deep insights on these players, with no uncertainty, right off the top of his head. Makes it very easy for a GM to pull the trigger on a deal when he hads detailed first hand information on what he's getting in return.

I'm salivating at the thought of entering the playoffs with:

Ninkovich/Ayers----
Branch/Siliga----
Wilfork/Chris Jones-----
Chandler Jones/Easley (let him rest the next 4 weeks til the playoffs and then spell Chandler 10-20 plays per game)

then:

Collins-Hightower-Ayers/Casillas

.....and that SECONDARY behind that!

Ninkovich/Ayers----
Branch/Siliga----
Wilfork/Chris Jones-----
Chandler Jones/Easley (let him rest the next 4 weeks til the playoffs and then spell Chandler 10-20 plays per game)

then:

I wonder if we'll see Chandler Jones move inside on passing downs with Ayers taking his position at RE - particularly if Easley is done for the year.

Ninkovich/Ayers----
Branch/Siliga----
Wilfork/Chris Jones-----

then:

If Chandler Jones is healthy, I don't see Belichick sitting him on the bench in favor of Easley 10-20 plays a game. I believe that we are just fine with Ninkovich, Jones and Ayers. IMHO, Ayers backs up Jones much more than Ninkovich. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that, at the moment, Ayers is by far a better option as a backup DE than Easley.

To be even more blunt, I don't see an injured getting any reps if everyone else is healthy. However, MAY be kept off IR with the idea that he will get reps if here are injuries.

7 healthy defensive linemen and 3 linebackers are plenty for the playoffs.

OUR HEALTHY 18 MAN DEFENSE
DE Ninkovich, Jones, Ayers
DT Wilfork, Siliga, Jones, Branch
LB Hightower, Collins, Casillas (in the base)
CB Revis, Browner, Arrington
S McCourty, Chung
key backups: Ryan, Harmon, Wilson

BOTTOM LINE
This is the best defense since at least 2007. In addition the above, we will have the following available for 2015: Mayo, Easley, Buchanan, Dennard, Moore and Butler.

The open question is how many of the players we have now will not be back. IMHO, there are no "needs" other than to re-sign our existing players. I'm not sure that I have ever thought that.

Last edited:
IMHO, there are no "needs" other than to re-sign our existing players. I'm not sure that I have ever thought that.

That is correct. There are some long term areas (another DE/OLB, a Wilfork successor, and a pipeline at DB), and always room for competition to upgrade the back end of the roster, but really no acute needs if we can re-sign are existing players. Outstanding.

It's not just the defenders, they also added Gray and Blount and last season they managed to pick up Chris's Jones and Siliga in the middle of the season. People can trash Belichick all they want for missing on some draft picks but overall they have been killing it when it comes to acquiring personnel on the whole. This team is talented, deep and versatile and there's no reason to believe they will be getting weaker in the near future. Belichick id's an excellent GM when you consider the entire picture.

Really? I think it's a pretty natural thing. What else would Schiano be getting paid to do?

He was the Tampa coach when Talib was traded to us. I doubt he was on our payroll then. Also Blount.

If Chandler Jones is healthy, I don't see Belichick sitting him on the bench in favor of Easley 10-20 plays a game. I believe that we are just fine with Ninkovich, Jones and Ayers. IMHO, Ayers backs up Jones much more than Ninkovich. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that, at the moment, Ayers is by far a better option as a backup DE than Easley.

To be even more blunt, I don't see an injured getting any reps if everyone else is healthy. However, MAY be kept off IR with the idea that he will get reps if here are injuries.

7 healthy defensive linemen and 3 linebackers are plenty for the playoffs.

OUR HEALTHY 18 MAN DEFENSE
DE Ninkovich, Jones, Ayers
DT Wilfork, Siliga, Jones, Branch
LB Hightower, Collins, Casillas (in the base)
CB Revis, Browner, Arrington
S McCourty, Chung
key backups: Ryan, Harmon, Wilson

Hasn't Chandler Jones been on the shelf for 8 weeks?

I think you may be overrating his heath. Yes, he probably plays starting today. But they should be monitoring that hip if they are smart.

That is correct. There are some long term areas (another DE/OLB, a Wilfork successor, and a pipeline at DB), and always room for competition to upgrade the back end of the roster, but really no acute needs if we can re-sign are existing players. Outstanding.

Other then C and RT, the line is still a concern. Brady still doesn't have the time to throw down the field consistently and they are sub-standard in executing "power" running plays.

They also do not have a deep threat and lack a true pass rushing threat from the inside.

Sorry to be negative but I think I'm being pretty realistic.

Branch is an amazing find. 6'6" 300 plus pound guy who can move, tie up double teams etc. Not easy to find guys like that. Maybe he's playing better than buffalo...They said the reason they cut him was largely performance not the dui.

Other then C and RT, the line is still a concern. Brady still doesn't have the time to throw down the field consistently and they are sub-standard in executing "power" running plays.

They also do not have a deep threat and lack a true pass rushing threat from the inside.

Sorry to be negative but I think I'm being pretty realistic.

They drafted Easley to be the interior passing rush threat. Just because he's been hurt this year doesn't mean they should draft another one for 2015.

The OL is quite solid as it is, much better than last year. Solder is under contract for 2015. There is plenty of room to upgrade the line, but if they had to go with what they have this year they would be ok.

The Pats' O doesn't need a deep threat all that much. Dobson was drafted in part to be that, and he'll get another year to show if he can fill that role.

There's always room for competition and an upgrade, but the needs are relative. I expect them to address several of these areas in the draft, but I also wouldn't expect rookies to step in and immediately solve these problems.

They drafted Easley to be the interior passing rush threat. Just because he's been hurt this year doesn't mean they should draft another one for 2015.

You can never have too many interior rushers. VW is going on 33. They need to draft/sign someone for that position that can stop the run and pressure the pocket.

The OL is quite solid as it is, much better than last year. Solder is under contract for 2015. There is plenty of room to upgrade the line, but if they had to go with what they have this year they would be ok.

Connolly is a FA and will be 33 next year. Wendell is an undersized guard. Not long term answers by any means. Drafting powerful, tough, athletic, intelligent guys like Cannon, Stork and Flemming are moves in the right direction. Need to apply that to the guard position IMO.

The Pats' O doesn't need a deep threat all that much. Dobson was drafted in part to be that, and he'll get another year to show if he can fill that role.

It's 50/50 that Dobson is here next year. If he produced this year as he did in 2013 then I would agree in saying that the need is not high.

There's always room for competition and an upgrade, but the needs are relative. I expect them to address several of these areas in the draft, but I also wouldn't expect rookies to step in and immediately solve these problems.

Yep. Always need to improve the talent an production where you think it's incremental and makes sense. Rookies, FA, UFA, trades are all avenues to take in roster building.

I think Ayers is definitely going to create interest elsewhere. Assuming we extend Revis which gives us enough money for McCourty and Chung. I doubt if we will be afford to bring him back in a reserve role. Casillas and Branch are more role players IMO. We might be able to bring them back. Would be great to end up trading back 6-8 picks for Ayers. And, then end up with a compensation pick for him.
After two major injuries in two years i would give the nod to Ayers over mayo. maybe Mayo is the one looking at more of a back up role with Hightower or Collins playing in Mayos old spot and Ayers on the outside.

Last edited:
if a top flight D lineman falls i could see BB taking him. i would still like to get an OG or two but see no need to spend a first rnd pick on one of them. If the current group is re-signed i see BB again trading down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back