Welcome to PatsFans.com

Average people vs. rich people

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IllegalContact, Sep 4, 2012.

1. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +268 / 4 / -9

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

Most executive business types I saw were what I consider workaholics and had lots of money but lived lives had family lives I would never want. Most of us get to make decisions and prioritize what is important to us.
  3. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No you can't have it all,

Life is about making sacrifices, you want to be rich so rich you can wipe your ass with $50! Then your gonna have to give something up! Be it time with your kids,wife,family or friends. It could be vacations or yours sons BB game. Something is gonna have to give....There aren't enough hours in the day......

IMO Life>Money

Your kids aren't gonna care if you drive a 90k car or own a beach house, their gonna care how much time they got to spend with their mom/dads. From seeing their first steps,first words to the day you walk them down the isle are the most important things in life. There all you can take with you when you die!
  4. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +268 / 4 / -9

LMAO at the drama.....I have a beach house......I take my kids there all the time....in fact, they're starting to go there on their own.....what else.....I have takem my kids skiing to CA,UT,CO,BC,MT,VT,QC,ME,NH,MA, France, Italy, and Switzerland.

I coached youth soccer for 14 years....I've seen more of my kids than anyone and yet managed to carve out a great career that was quite financially rewarding....

you can have it all......a good start is to do away with the excuses....motivation helps, too

in fact, my successes have been largely predicated on the motivation due to the presence of my kids

Life + Money >> Life
    Life + Money >> Money

they are not mutually exclusive

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +268 / 4 / -9

I didn't know that being an executive business type was a prerequisite to being well off.....I guess I missed that memo
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

Your what America is all about, good work and I'm sure you did work, very hard.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -10

How would you know when you aren't "Rich"?

I have an uncle who is very wealthy....but the funny thing about him is that although I love him dearly, he actually thinks he's qualified to give most people advice when he needs more advice than most people.

A guy I work has 4 homes...beach, lake and mountain houses plus his residence...but he's not "Rich" by any means. To me, Rich means you don't have to work. Otherwise we're all just part of the "rat race" as my father always so lovingly stated.

Personally, I believe aspiring to be "Rich" is a very sad goal. If you love your work, do it well and end up wealthy, then good for you! But I'd hate to hear a kid tell me his goal was to be rich....that would be the result of poor breeding in my opinion.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

An upper middle class lifestyle is nice, but not rich. I think others have summed up other points nicely.

And I say this as someone who is also satisfied with my climb to the upper middle class lifestyle in a tough economic climate. But then, I also think I have different measures of how I view successful parenting.

There is a cost to everything worthwhile. Accept it and identify what it is you've paid to have what you have, or don't accept it. Just don't forget there's a cost to that.
  9. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +124 / 7 / -19

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"

-Jesus of Nazareth
  10. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +268 / 4 / -9

rat race.....thats exactly what I've never been a part of

theres nothing wrong with owning homes.......theres nothing wrong with having money

to suggest otherwise reeks of envy

11. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The poor comfort themselves thinking they have it better off than the rich in one respect and for evidence cite fiction (Scrooge).
  12. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

You are right and you are wrong. The meaning of life is to be happy. For some money really does bring happiness. For others they can achieve happiness through having a close and loving family, still others find that solitude brings happiness. None of these people are wrong. The true key to life is actually finding what makes you happy and then getting that to be the focus of your life.

Rich people commit suicide too...
  13. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well pin a rose on your nose!:rolleyes:

So you never had a full time job? Cause if you did you made a sacrifice right there.....You never worked an extra shift? You never worked that Saturday night shift after you just worked the day shift? You never worked overtime?

You mean to tell me you made every game your kids played in? You made every play they stared in or every movie night?

I find it hard to believe that a man that has it all, made no hard choices, made no sacrifices.....Whatever your drinking i'll have two!:rocker:
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

I saw managers who spent 2-3 weeks on the road per month, I could have gone for one of those jobs all the money in the world would be worth it to me. When your kids are growing up it happens very quickly and only once. I did get to see my kids games and I would rather watch them play a game than go to the SB in person.

YMMV everybody has their own set of priorities. If 'success' is that important fine.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

The whole title of this thread is disengenuous, as there is an assumption of some type of superiority if you are rich.. probably not moral superiority, but that "rich people" are superior than "average people".. cannot rich people be average folks???

This whole thread reminds me of discussions when I used to work in Supervised Apartments for the Developmentally Disabled in the late 70's, when I was juggling jobs and post graduate education. There was an article floating around, that had to do with the theory of normalization, that essentially stated that if you are in a bar when conversing with someone who has been drinking heavily you cannot tell if they are developmentally disabled or a nuclear physicist.

Fast forward to this thread, on an anonymous internet message board anyone can say what they want to say.. and claim some type of superiority , as they have allegedly accumulated wealth. But in reality they could be a homeless person who accesses a computer at a public library..

What I do know is that I have met a lot of wealthy people, they usually show their wealth by the "stuff" they have, but have never heard anyone brag about how wealthy they are..
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

well, rich people can't be average people if "people" are inherently quantified by net worth. They're the very-much-above-average people.

I think that's the premise you're objecting to, Darryl.

I dunno. I chose not to continue to respond to the upward pull of the magnet. No beach house or kids skiing in so many states I have to abbreviate them :)

On the other hand, I don't run around the internet starting conversations about how rich I am, then following up with how everybody else "reeks of envy." So there's that -- I get to not be that guy. It's got upsides too.

I'll repeat the question raised earlier: Since you've never struggled, IC, how did you come by your uncountable millions? Enlighten us, that we may learn from thee, amen.

:rolleyes:

PFnV
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -10

I've seen soooo many people work so hard NOT to average people. But the reality is that no matter what we do, we're all average people.

Heck, Bill Gates is just an average person too. If we could step outside our human bodies and prejudiced minds, we'd clearly see everyone as being the same. From the villager living in a hut to the billionaire living in Beverly Hills, we're all average people trying to figure out this thing called life.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

All in points of view. When you get irritated it's fun to watch something like "The Universe," where they talk about the endless expanses of stars in the galaxy, and the endless expanses of galaxies in the universe... then there's the seemingly endless expanse of years in what we call "time..."

Gives you a little perspective. A bit like "I am the baddest bacterium in the petri dish."

We're here for a blink of an eye, then we're damn sure equal. If there's any meaning to it, it's being happy and doing right by others. I do doubt that there's any meaning to it at times, but on the off chance there is, that sounds a lot more noble than "whoever dies with the most toys win."

::Shrug:: ya pay your money, ya takes your choice.
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

Sorry if I confused folks, but my point is that on an anonymous internet board you do not know if you are arguing with a multimillionaire or a homeless person who accesses a public computer..

My experience is that those who have a great deal of wealth do not brag about it, it does show in how they live.. not sure have ever heard a rich person brag about how much they have..
  20. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +268 / 4 / -9

I didn't say any of those things.....I've missed plenty, but by the same token, I've seen more of my children than 99% of the rest of the working dads out there.

been employed full-time since 1982....had my job pay for my BSEE and MSEE while I worked 2nd shift.

by the time my kids were born, I was working for a semiconductor consulting company which allowed me to work from home as much as I wanted. I had the flexibility to plan my projects around the other things in my life. I travel quite a bit (I have flown over 1.5M miles on American), but when I am not traveling, I am available for any event the kids have. I've spent weeks with them in the summer time, even taken them with me to the main office in CA. by the time my kids got to HS, they had already seen more of the world than most adults ever do.

I managed my career by making sure I exceeded my clients expectations and kept myself in the middle of the revenue stream as much as possible.

now I get waste alot of time everywhere including here while I'm making money off a half dozen guys the same way my boss made money off of me. This is an oversimplification, because I support my guys technically and that stands to be even more work than when I was doing the project myself, but I have been able to set 80% of my work and work time parameters for 20 years now.....

my choices were easy because I did it for my kids