Welcome to PatsFans.com

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DaBruinz, Dec 19, 2009.

1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +330 / 20 / -48

#50 Jersey

Went and saw the new James Cameron Movie "AVATAR" last night, not knowing what to expect. I'd purposely stayed away from the trailers and all the specials they ahve done on the movie regarding how it supposedly is going to revolutionize the film making industry.

I'll be upfront with everyone. If you don't see this movie in IMAX 3D, you are missing a great deal of the movie. It was totally mind-blowing.. I haven't ever been totally immersed in a movie (sight and sound wise) the way AVATAR immersed me last night. AVATAR is, by far, the best movie of the year. Both from a story and from a special effects point of view.. Yes, it blows away Transformers, GI JOE, and Star Trek.

And yes, the extra $$ from seeing it in IMAX 3D was worth every penny.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Could I bring a 5 year old to see it? I see toys and everything, but it seems like a serious movie. I am trying to stay away from spoilers so I am not sure if it is kid friendly or not.
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,456 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

It's James Cameron. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the movie-watching world will see it. Thanks for the recommendation though.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I went to see A Christmas Carol in 3D, for the second time, at the Imax last week. And they had a trailer in 3D for Avatar (which replaced A Christmas Carol which is why I wanted to see it again before it went away) and I am very much looking forward to seeing it there. But, I'll wait for the crowds to subside as I did with the Star Trek movie.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +774 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Because I have only one good eye I unfortunately can't watch 3D. But, I did see the movie in 2D and loved it. My only quibble was the story has been done many times before ("Dances With Wolves," "The Last Samurai," television shows, etc.). I'll likely buy it on DVD when it comes out. It'll be interesting to see what the sequels bring.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  6. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

My sister took my nephew to see it (in 2d as well) and she said if you can get past the the left wing politics it was good. My nephew, who's 22, said the action was good. I still plan on seeing it at the IMax but, I've worked late every day this week.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +774 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

I really didn't think the underlying issues could or should be viewed politically. Ecology and spirituality transcend that, in my humble opinion.
  8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

District 9
  9. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Overrated

________
  10. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Avatar in 3D is well worth the price of admission for sure. It's only "political" if you want it to be.

District 9 was good. Not great IMO (I wanted it to be).
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

Neytiri is hot.

[​IMG]
  12. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#54 Jersey

So isn't her real self Zoe Saldana
    [​IMG]
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

I saw it in 2D. It was good, but certainly not great. It's uber cliched, and and as someone else said, somewhat of played out story. Some real cheesy lines too. Also, it is certainly political. It's Blackwater, the Iraq War, ant-corporate, enviro-nazi movement circa 2154. I still enjoyed the movie, as I always do, but it wasn't some epic. The cinematogrophy (sp?) was superb though. I won't go through some of the specifics of what was kinda stupid about it, cuz I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet. It's certainly worth seeing, for anyone who hasn't gone.
  14. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Possible spoilers

Finally got to see it at the IMAX today. I left work early and went to the 3:15 showing thinking it wouldn't be packed. I was wrong. It was completely full. Avatar is as fun and enjoyable as everyone says. There were no surprises in the story and parts were telegraphed but, you are still immersed in the scenery and action. I thought Sigourney Weaver might have been a bad casting choice since you can't hep but think it's Ripley. I stayed away from as much info as I could about it before seeing so I didn't know who the cast was. As a fan of The Shield I recognized CCH Pounder right away. And was glad to see "Ana Lucia" from Lost. I wish she were in it more actually. I liked seeing her in 3D. Zoe Saldana was excellent. She was good as Uhura in Star Trek as well. I think she's going to be a huge star. I feel bad for anyone who didn't see this in a 3D IMAX they definitely missed half the movie experience that was created.

YouTube - Kate Bush The Dreaming

The Dreaming Lyrics
    Artist(Band):Kate Bush

'Bang!' goes another kanga
    On the bonnet of the van.
    "See the light ram through the gaps in the land."
    Many an Aborigine's mistaken for a tree
    'Til you near him on the motorway
    And the tree begin to breathe.

Coming in with the golden light
    In the morning.
    Is the New Man.
    Is my dented van.

"Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee-
    A-a-a-a-a-
    M-m-m-m-m-
    Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti-"

The civilised keep alive
    The territorial war.
    Erase the race that claim the place
    And say we dig for ore,
    Or dangle devils in a bottle
    And push them from the Pull of the Bush.
    You find them in the raw.
    "See the light bounce off the rocks to the sand."
    In the raw.

("Oh, re mikayina!")
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  15. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

it's an amazing movie. saw it the week before christmas AND on christmas day. Phenomenal - changes 3D forever as the tomatoes say.
  16. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, my wife and I saw it on Monday, and it was just awesome. But the thing is, when I think about it the story was pretty cruddy. 30 minutes in, my wife and I had pretty much the entire story/major points/ending figured out. It's so obvious. But the 3D CGI is just incredible. It's so good I would just pay money to "fly around the world" and visually take it in. Especially when they are flying around, clinging to the sides of the cliffs, its simply visually amazing. You'll see alot more of this in the future, especially as computer hardware and processing time gets cheaper and faster.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  17. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The 3D in A Christmas Carol was just as good but, I think it will be overshadowed by Avatar.
  18. 54Bubba54

54Bubba54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going to check out Avatar on the imax screen on the 18th, I cant wait to see it, I have only heard great things about it!
  19. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Film reached the biggest milestone any film could hope to reach: January 24th the film surpassed Titanic to become the highest grossing movie of all time raking in over $1.858 Billion worldwide.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is pretty much how I feel about the movie. I enjoyed Avatar more when I first saw it 20 years ago, only back then it was called "Dances With Wolves."

Avatar is visually breathtaking. The artwork, the CGI, the effects. This is a movie that will impact how future movies are made. If anyone here hasn't seen it, I highly recommend you go check it out. But as far as plotline goes, it is very cliche and extremely predicatble. And yes, it does force some analogies to current events down your throat, which I grew weary of.