PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AV Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimke

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The moment of truth regarding AV may occur this weekend .

If AV signs with Green Bay, there is one viable replacement

still available. I'm sure most Pats fans and forum members will throw

up their morning breakfast at the mention of his name, Mike

Vanderjagt. He is not the clutch kicker AV is but he has

the highest field goal percentage in the NFL year after year.

Also,
They can try for Josh brown and see if Seahawks will match their offer.

No Vanderjerk!!!!!

How about Olindo Mare or Paul Edinger?

Olindo Mare is on the verge of being cut in Miami.

Would you believe a guy you never heard of - or an undrafted free agent ??

Jimke said:
He is not the clutch kicker AV is but he has

I think you answered your own question. I'd look at O.Mare and J. Brown and Vanderjagt would be way,way down my list... He may be accurate in the first and second quarters BUT it's clutch time that counts and he was WAY off when it counted.....Combine that with his propensity to shoot his mouth off (I know it's Peyton but he should 'try to be a good teammate') makes me want to say ,"no thanks".
Just my $0.02,

He is not the clutch kicker AV is but he has the highest field goal percentage in the NFL year after year.

Certainly far from clutch as we've witnessed first hand. And while it's true about his field goal percentage, keep in mind this guy has played no less than 9 games a season in a dome. Given his well documented mental issues, is he really the guy you want on the field when the big game is on the line?

Can't imagine Rodney would enjoy his presence in the locker room...

It seems that all the "good" potential replacements for positions the Pats need to fill come with serious character issues... MeShawn, TO, Vanderjerk, etc.

Jimke said:
He is not the clutch kicker AV is but he has

Because he kicks in a dome!!!!!!!

It isn't near the same thing!

And he not only isn't clutch, he is awful under presure! Even in the dome!

I'll cry if they sign Vanderjagt, I hate the guy. He's a jerk with an overly-high opinion of himself.

If Adam does sign elsewhere I would like them to sign Todd Peterson.

NE39 said:
If Adam does sign elsewhere I would like them to sign Todd Peterson.

Ditto. He was able to kick in Kansas City, which has some nasty wind conditions. Doug Brien will also be available. He struggled a bit last year, but has had a solid enough career that perhaps that was an aberration due to his injury.

Edinger will be he guy if we do not sign AV IMHO - and he is a decent kicker with outside experience.

No way do we pay AV 3 or 3.5, sorry and I am a huge AV fan.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Also,
They can try for Josh brown and see if Seahawks will match their offer.

Good post.

I think this is where the Pats should focus.

The Seahawks one-year RFA offer to Brown is for $712,000.

Draft compensation to Seattle would be a 7th rounder, which is where they drafted Brown in 2003.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Offer Brown something like 3 years/$3.5 million. I doubt that Seattle would match that.

Mooch said:
To me, this is a no-brainer. Offer Brown something like 3 years/$3.5 million. I doubt that Seattle would match that.
$3.5M total ? That sounds low. I would offer at least $1.5M per year, perhaps as high as $2M per year. Sorry but I like Brown better than Adam. He's not as consistent but is a much bigger weapon long range and is much younger.

BelichickFan said:
$3.5M total ? That sounds low. I would offer at least $1.5M per year, perhaps as high as $2M per year. Sorry but I like Brown better than Adam. He's not as consistent but is a much bigger weapon long range and is much younger.

Oh, I like Brown too but $2 million per season might be overpaying a bit.

The Seahawks have offered less than half of that.

Mooch said:
Oh, I like Brown too but $2 million per season might be overpaying a bit.

The Seahawks have offered less than half of that.
It probably is too much but if we're offering Adam $2.5, as some have said, I would have no problem offering Brown more as I like him better at this point in his career. A good offer might get him once the Seahawks match the Hutchinson offer, that will eat into their cap situation.

This is hard..Vanderjagt is a solid kicker.but how are his kickoffs??? To me if AV isn't going to be here..that is one thing the kicker HAS to have. The team may be able to at least get an increase in field position. Also, he is not a clutch kicker at all. No go there...would NOT wish to have a non-clutch kicker here period. Edinger, Peterson, Mare or Brown might be better options..but I'll let BB/SP roll the dice as to what they see and who they'll go after. Brown and Mare I do not think have kicked in bad conditions as much and that is very important...Look at Mare who missed a kick with a mound in Miami a few years ago. I'm not sure a kicker here would do as well. Peterson has been with a bundle of teams and I think is a vet who could do fine here..but I'll leave that to what BB/SP want to do. Clutch kicking...long kickoffs and the ability to kick in snow and other odd conditions.

Unless we can get a proven, young kicker with a stong leg (like Brown) I would just go the Veteran journeyman FA or low round draft choice route. Either pay good money for a proven kicker (not Vandy) or save a couple million by paying a guy $500K.

My gut on a Brown offer is Hawks will match no matter the offer unless
it is totally outrageous.

I bet they would match an offer up to 3M a year.

Thing is PATs could force them to pay Brown what he is worth by making
an offer. I doubt PATs would go much higher than 2.5M a year
Make him a long term offer 5years 2.5M and 4M signing bonus.
He's worth it and his best years are ahead of him.

BelichickFan said:
It probably is too much but if we're offering Adam $2.5, as some have said, I would have no problem offering Brown more as I like him better at this point in his career. A good offer might get him once the Seahawks match the Hutchinson offer, that will eat into their cap situation.

Very good point .... timing of the offer might get it done.

JR4 said:
My gut on a Brown offer is Hawks will match no matter the offer unless
it is totally outrageous.

I bet they would match an offer up to 3M a year.

Thing is PATs could force them to pay Brown what he is worth by making
an offer. I doubt PATs would go much higher than 2.5M a year
Make him a long term offer 5years 2.5M and 4M signing bonus.
He's worth it and his best years are ahead of him.

I think a lot of it depends on whether they match the offer for Hutchinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back