PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AV has moved on...so should we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonbuzz

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
AV served the Patriots well. The last few years when it really counted he was able to come through in the clutch. We have three Patriot Super Bowl victories to look back on and celebrate thanks much in part to AV and his coming through in the clutch. He didn't do it alone though. If it weren't for quite a number of other Patriots playing much of their best games in the clutch during the same time he might not have had the opportunity to come through as he did.

I do believe as last season moved along BB began to have serious doubt as to whether he could contine to count on AV to make the clutch kicks on a consistant basis. I think health issues began to take their toll on AV. There were times during games last season when I said to myself why the hell isn't AV kicking a field goal here instead of the Pats attempting a longshot first down? I assume BB didn't feel comfortable with AV in many of those situations...situations that were "no brainers" in previous years. If you start doubting one of the best clutch kickers the game has ever seen maybe it's time to consider letting him move on. Might end up being a huge mistake but then again maybe not. BB and SP made the decision to possibly move on without AV and I'm sure they felt they had very ligitimate reasons. They know more about the health issues than we'll ever know. AV knows they are aware of them as well. Maybe he said to himself maybe it's time to move on while the 'movin' ons' still good! Maybe we should just trust the BB and SP decision to let him go and move on too.
Thanks Adam for all the great memories! You'll always be welcome in my home town!

I am so confused.....

After all is said and done, will AV ever feel as if he left a goldmine behind in terms of appearances, endorsements and long term employment for years to come. All that is surely long gone now isn't it?

I do not understand how he can take the Colts money and leave the combination of the Pats offer coupled with the above.

Can anybody make sense out of this?

bostonbuzz said:
AV has moved on...so should we...

The guy's got a point.

I hereby decree that no significant Patriots news should be talked about for more than a 24 hour period.

I think we still have about 45 minutes left so if anyone has anything to say about Vinateri, say it now or forever hold your peace.

fgssand said:
After all is said and done, will AV ever feel as if he left a goldmine behind in terms of appearances, endorsements and long term employment for years to come. All that is surely long gone now isn't it?

I do not understand how he can take the Colts money and leave the combination of the Pats offer coupled with the above.

I agree that he has sacrificed the long-term earning power for the short-term $, but maybe he and his family had no plans to stay in the area after once his football career was over.

Also, kicking in the RCA Dome can lengthen his career, and Indy has shown the willingness to carry two kickers if necessary. He now has the potential become the next Morten Andersen, where as if he had stayed here the likelihood of a much shorter football career would have existed.

Basically, his possible earning power as a K in Indy may have lead him to sacrifice his staus as an icon hawking donuts and furniture for the rest of his life.

Av

Great post "bostonbuzz." I agree 100%. Adam is one of the Pats all time greats and I will miss him. Yet, I have told my friends over the last two years that his field goals and kick off distances have been waning. I have not felt comfortable with any of his attempts over 44 yards the last two seasons.

Also, change is part of the new NFL due to free agency and the salary cap. With change comes new opportunities.

I was nearly on anti-depressants when Drew got knock out by Mo Lewis. I thought we were done for years to come and lo and behold we were Superbowl 36 Champs 5 months later.

And what about when Bill let L. Milloy go to the Bills the week before our first game in '03 and the Bills WHIPPED our A** 31-0. I nearly puked. Lo and behold we whipped them 31-0 in the rematch and we won :rocker: another Superbowl.

And what about playing the high powered Colts offense in '04 with Troy Brown in the secondary. They didn't score one TD. I am still in awe.

So losing our favorite players is sad to see but imagine the excitement if Bill can still make things happen. It will drive the rest of the NFL nuts.

"In Bill I Trust"

fgssand said:

I don't think those endorsement contracts are worth anything like a Jordan or Tiger Woods with Nike thing. Certainly nowhere near the signing bonus ESPN is talking about. Wasn't the Pats' position = no guaranteed money?

Complete terms of the contract were not immediately available, but league sources told ESPN.com that the multiyear deal includes a signing bonus of $3.5 million and that it averages $2.5 million over the first three years of the contract.
Vinatieri agrees in principle to deal with Colts

Good thread bostonbuzz. Good posts !!

So I guess nobody is hurt, disappointed or even angry with Adam?? No one feels the slightest bit betrayed?? Or was that just last night .......and today everybody is all better now. That's good.

But don't assume that everybody is going to feel this way. I'm better today too, but I don't know how I'll feel when I see him stroll into Gillette wearing a Colts uniform. And then seeing him deliver one of those awesome kicks right through the uprights...............and we lose the game - how ironic. :(

Last edited:
Disappointed in the Pats Organization

I’ve been a pats fan now here in Canada for over 15 years. I drive over 680miles to training camp and about five home games and one road game a year. In all my years as a fan I never seen an Organization treat players that won them three superbowls like the pats did this year.. AV,Willy and Givens were all treated like they didn’t do anything in New England for the past 5-10 years. AV wanted out obviously but why? Over 500,000 I don’t think so. It’s all about pride and how they were treated. Willy found out he was cut on the news. These guys were treated like they were rookies.
I love driving down to go see good football with unreal fans. I pay the 35 dollars to park and the 200-300 dollar ticket on e-bay but what I’m seeing this year in regards to free agency is sick. Is that 19 million going to end up going into Krafts pocket. If it does why would I waste my time going to games. All’s I have to say they better do something and something fast. Because tickets will be cheaper next year that’s for sure because they’ll be 6-10.

bostonbuzz said:
AV served the Patriots well. The last few years when it really counted he was able to come through in the clutch. We have three Patriot Super Bowl victories to look back on and celebrate thanks much in part to AV and his coming through in the clutch. He didn't do it alone though. If it weren't for quite a number of other Patriots playing much of their best games in the clutch during the same time he might not have had the opportunity to come through as he did.

I do believe as last season moved along BB began to have serious doubt as to whether he could contine to count on AV to make the clutch kicks on a consistant basis. I think health issues began to take their toll on AV. There were times during games last season when I said to myself why the hell isn't AV kicking a field goal here instead of the Pats attempting a longshot first down? I assume BB didn't feel comfortable with AV in many of those situations...situations that were "no brainers" in previous years. If you start doubting one of the best clutch kickers the game has ever seen maybe it's time to consider letting him move on. Might end up being a huge mistake but then again maybe not. BB and SP made the decision to possibly move on without AV and I'm sure they felt they had very ligitimate reasons. They know more about the health issues than we'll ever know. AV knows they are aware of them as well. Maybe he said to himself maybe it's time to move on while the 'movin' ons' still good! Maybe we should just trust the BB and SP decision to let him go and move on too.
Thanks Adam for all the great memories! You'll always be welcome in my home town!
Excellent Post!!

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for my conduct last night for anyone who was reading. I was more than a little upset and I got cranky and yelled at people. I am still extremely dissapointed with AV, but my blind fury has subsided and I realize I'm not nearly as upset about it as I was. I am prepared to move on, just as this thread suggests. I will never forgive him, but I do not wish death or injury upon him. Insulting him and others will not change the fact that he's a freakin Colt, and I'm just going to have to accept that. The fan base must move on and we must not waste too much more energy on our firey hatred for Vinny.

So, from now on I will not be AV bashing and I will hopefully stick to posts of substance. Again sorry if I gave the wrong impression of myself with my ranting entrance to this board. This is one angry Pats fan... moving on.

He was just a kicker. I'm just gonna keep telling myself that.

#1CanadianPatsFan said:
In all my years as a fan I never seen an Organization treat players that won them three superbowls like the pats did this year.. AV,Willy and Givens were all treated like they didn’t do anything in New England for the past 5-10 years. AV wanted out obviously but why? Over 500,000 I don’t think so. It’s all about pride and how they were treated. Willy found out he was cut on the news. These guys were treated like they were rookies.
Huh???? I love it when so called fans say things without any knowledge. Treat the players poorly??? I guess offering a kicker more money than any other kicker is treating them poorly...correct??? Offering Givens 17million is poor as well?? And Willie?? A very good offer as well. Pride and how they are treated?? Sorry..I don't buy that a bit..and if you have information about that either tell it or STFU!!! I doubt you have ANY first hand information about it...just player talk and if you wish to believe that I know some swamp land nearby you might wish to purchase. Sorry..when players go for green it is their perogative to do that..but NOT overpaying for a player is just that..and NOT treating them poorly. Pride?? No..more greed than any pride at all!!

I moved on weeks ago...but there is still some relevant Vinatieri discussion to come...it's our duty to cover all bases or relevant topics.

The dust has settled and AV is not here but there, a Colt, really? :(

Oh well, last person out get the light please, see you all at the next crisis.

AV has served the Patriots well for 10 years. Of course we are all going to be extremely upset at him for going to the Colts, but that doesn't change what he has done for the team. After he retires, he will still be a New England Legend. Heres a good article from Kevin Hench at foxsports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5434310

HugeCrushOnBB said:
So I guess nobody is hurt, disappointed or even angry with Adam?? No one feels the slightest bit betrayed?? Or was that just last night .......and today everybody is all better now. That's good. :(

I am dissappointed that he went to the Colts. It will look odd seeing him with the horseshoe... but I'm just not mad at him... it's his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back