Welcome to PatsFans.com

Author Fouad Ajami Says US-Led Invasion of Iraq Was A Noble War

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 9, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

http://www.voanews.com/english/NewsAnalysis/2006-06-27-voa25.cfm

Thoughtful analysis from someone who knows the region better than most.
  2. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read a bit I will finish it tommorow.
    The bit I read and stopped at, it's a gift, I'd say one friggen monumental gift that so far has cost us $$$$320 billion dollars and thousands of lives, and like std's it's a gift that keeps on giving. Excuse the snide remarks, I will read the rest in the mornin, But nightmaring over this hemmoraging gift we gave for the war on wmd's changed to a gift:rolleyes:
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Never heard of the guy, but the Wikipedia entry makes me think he's quite brilliant. Nonetheless, these lines stood out, He "has been an advisor to United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as well as a friend and colleague of Deputy United States Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz." Perhaps he's just another war advocate who is rationalizing that stand, but I don't think we're nearly at the point where the good news balances with the tens of thousands of deaths and the massive destruction going on in Iraq.
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Well He was born in the area, is a member of the religion, speaks the language, and has made the issues in that region his life's work. I would think you would be encouraged that Rice and Wolfwitz would seek advice and insight from someone with his background.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Of course there are Arabs who support the war, and I'm sure that the politicians in Washington regularly seek the advice of people who mirror their views. I just don't see anything especially significant that this guy supports the war.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

I wasn't touting just his support of the war, but he does point some of the problems (issues with developing the police force and Arab ambilivance about our motives) as well as the reasons for his optimism. A balanced view.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"Noble War"...
    That's a funny thing to say. :rolleyes:
  8. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Not only that, but weren't we in Iraq because of WMDs and the fact that their use was imminent?? If there were OTHER reasons to invade Iraq, they should have been discussed at the time.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 11 / -27

It is hard for me to think of any war as something noble, which makes me suspect of anything this guy would write. War is anything but noble.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  10. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Apparantly saddam has a teletransporter and just whisked away the nuclear facilities and everything else with beaming technology, wonderful advances in quantum mechanics that saddam had kept hidden from the bushies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  11. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep, supposedly iraq is becoming less violent, yet the deathrate among civilians is climbing, car bombings are detonating and wiping out the people , turn on the news their talking about the breaking news of escalating car bomb's right now.
  12. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

13. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +97 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Wow, THAT WAS...............um, someones opinion!. Why the f*ck do care what another person's opinion is, you and mediamatters need help. Savage is not an elected official and makes no policy.
  14. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Look at yourself and the hollywood threads you post in where they are not elected officials and they do not make policy, and you care, hell, I don't listen to hollywood for political advice. I posted about a conservative radio commentator where millions of conservatives learn about politics, that is more relavant. Go pound sand pfeil:D
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

No acctually Bush described Iraqi WMD as a "gathering" threat not an immenant threat. The notion of Iraq as an immenant threat with respect to WMD is a straw man created by the left and the mainstream media to help rationalize their opposition to the war.

Here are the relevant portions of the 2003 SOTU address. Note that the claims about WMD relate to Saddam not accounting for WMD not accounted for under UN agreements, which is true to this day. He also cites that Iraq was harboring and aiding Al Queda terrorist this is undeniable true as evidenced by the presence of Zarqwai described as the "Emir of Iraq" by OBL.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-19.html

16. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Actually it was Bush who made the threat imminent to get Congress to act quickly...rewrite history all you want..but it's a BIG loss...and then you change your mind when there are no WMDs....a classic bait and switch!!!
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Well in the SOTU address he said Saddam wasn't an immenent threat but not be allowed to become one. Apparently congress agreed and voted to let him use force in Iraq. I am not rewriting anything just reporting what was said (and has since been distorted.
  18. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's wmd, no it's not wmd's,i's getting better, itsnow a noble war, they moved the wmd's, they did,they didn't whos' on first ,I don't know, exactly:confused: repeat and rinse repeat and rinse don't repeat and rinse exactly:confused: :bricks: who's on first I don't know, exactly:rolleyes:
    Huh what doh exactly
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

I empathize with your inability to follow the written word :( , it must be from watching too many truncated video clips, an attention deficit disorder kind of deal.;)
  20. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your all about spinning, you constantly do this, it causes headaches.
    That, who's on first skit is you ok AAAAAABBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOT.
    I honestly think you do it, to disagree and keep the conversation going in circles. I remember your post in turds shut the forum down thread, and you said you like to disagree in this forum that's what makes it interesting. THAT'S what you do twist and spin to keep it lively:cool: