Welcome to PatsFans.com

Australia vs. the United States: Two Charts that Tell You Everything You Need to Know

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 3, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

About Socail Security Reform;

Australia vs. the United States: Two Charts that Tell You Everything You Need to Know about Social Security Reform - Daniel J. Mitchell - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

Re: Australia vs. the United States: Two Charts that Tell You Everything You Need to

I think the charts are unrelated PF13.

One shows the value of private retirement savings for individuals and the other shows debt created by a public retirement system. ONe is social welfare and the other is a forced retirement program that does not force individuals to pay into a "system" that provides for people who never contributed.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Re: Australia vs. the United States: Two Charts that Tell You Everything You Need to

The point is the advantages of one system over the other. What we are doing now won't work and we need to change what we do currently, the reactonaries will oppose needed change.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

So where does Australia get the $$ to provide to citizens who have no retirement savings? Or does everyone in Australia have a job?

Think I read they have one of the lowest historical unemployment rates among advanced nations....
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

More incentive to work more capital for the economy. As to the people with nothing? I honestly don't know. I do know that our system will destroy the economy for everyone.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

I will agree there has to be a better, more sustainable way to do this.
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

This is example #4,295 why people who have no background or understanding of a subject matter should not try this kind of thing at home and attempt to translate two charts as a comparison because a guy at the Cato Institute wants to fool the general public.

Just look at the two graphs.

Look at the YEARS on the X-axes of the two graphs and ask yourself, "What is PF13 comparing"?

Then look at the measures on the Y-axes of the two graphs and ask yourself - - exactly WHAT point is being attempted?

Some people merely see lines on graphs with no understanding whatsoever.

In your OWN words - - those two charts "tell you everything you need to know". Sad.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Australia Guide: Social Security, The Australian social security system: Social security (welfare) is the

Crikey, I think 13's on to something here......in spite of the fact that his charts have nothing whatsoever to do with one another since one seems to be fact and one seems to be projected fantasy.

Oh....and they also have universal health care in Australia.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Apparently you didn't read the article and have no solutions other than the status quo to offer?
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

More personal inuendo's....surprising!

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Australia gave us Paul Hogan, we gave the world Hulk Hogan.

'nuff said.
  12. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Not to mention THIS nugget in the article:

"This system, which was made universal by the Labor Party beginning in the 1980s, has turned every Australian worker into a capitalist and generated private wealth of nearly 100 percent of GDP. Here’s a chart, based on data from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority."

The LABOR PARTY!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

From their party platform:

"Labor believes in a strong role for national government – the one institution all Australians truly own and control through our right to vote." Labor "will not allow the benefits of change to be concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, or located only in privileged communities. The benefits must be shared by all Australians and all our regions...."

"...Government has a critical role in ensuring fairness by: ensuring equal opportunity; removing unjustifiable discrimination; and achieving a more equitable distribution of wealth, income and status."
  13. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I read the article.

And I read the two charts - - you know - - the ones you described as telling us "everything we need to know about social security reform".
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

And we should ask ourselves why this is possible in Australia but not the United States.

The answer is because Australia has one of the lowest historic unemployments among advanced nations. If we could have as large a working population where they all pay taxes, we could do this.

Australia never has 45% of their population on gov't social welfare programs like we do.

Also, the infrastructure of Australia is much less costly to maintain than ours.

Just compare population per square mile and you'll get your answers.

Australia - 7 people/sq mile
    United States - 87 people/sq mile

Population Density per Square Mile of Countries — Infoplease.com
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

16. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I thought Dems, generally speaking, didn't like the idea of Private Retirement Accounts as a replacement for SocSec...:confused:

EDIT - This is more of a question of our Left leaning forummates....not an accusation.

Seems "leftys" down under are fans...
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

No, I think what they want is the best of all worlds.

What people don't realize is that the United States has one of the costliest gov'ts on earth. And I'm not talking total spending, I'm talking about spending per capita.

We give out money to other nations far above any other. We spend on our citizens like no other does or can....and we waste money better than all of them!
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Awesome. So what's your solution? Forcible emigration of 80 people/sq mile?

Great, we can lower unemployment by having fewer people.

And btw, Australia has universal healthcare.
  19. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I am completely for privatizing the investment options for social security. Not "replacing" social security.
  20. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Maybe I misread the article, is the Australian Private Retirement Account policy a supplement to their version of SocSec, or is that "their version"?

I was reading this as Australia, in lieu of SocSec, has required Private Investment Accounts.