PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

August 25th Roster Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroney was actually extremely successful, as I've broken down elsewhere. His YPC in open space (plays with significant distance to the goal line) was excellent, and he was able to pound the ball in twice for touchdowns.

Fair enough. I have nothing against Maroney. I'm just truly stumped at the way he's been used this preseason. If he had the success history of Randy Moss, Wilfork, or even Kevin Faulk, it would be a lot easier to understand.

Fair enough. I have nothing against Maroney. I'm just truly stumped at the way he's been used this preseason. If he had the success history of Randy Moss, Wilfork, or even Kevin Faulk, it would be a lot easier to understand.

This is not the first time we've seen the Patriots resting Maroney during exhibition seasons.

Last year, Maroney started only week 1 and had only 16 carries all exhibition season.

In 2007, Maroney only played in week 3, carrying the ball 15 times.

I don't know what BB's thinking, although I certainly don't think that Maroney's getting cut. Anything's possible, so the bashers are out in force.

This is not the first time we've seen the Patriots resting Maroney during exhibition seasons.

Last year, Maroney started only week 1 and had only 16 carries all exhibition season.

In 2007, Maroney only played in week 3, carrying the ball 15 times.

I don't know what BB's thinking, although I certainly don't think that Maroney's getting cut. Anything's possible, so the bashers are out in force.

In 2007, Maroney was the unquestioned starter heading into TC.

Last year, Maroney was a backup until both Taylor and Morris went down. I suspect that the Pats will only keep 4 RBs this year due to the numbers at other positions. So I'd think BB would want to see where Maroney fits in compared to all the other backs.

Last year, Maroney was a backup until both Taylor and Morris went down. I suspect that the Pats will only keep 4 RBs this year due to the numbers at other positions. So I'd think BB would want to see where Maroney fits in compared to all the other backs.

It's the same exact RB group that was there last year, and BB's seen them all throughout the offseason.

I'm quite confident that BB already knows precisely where each player does (or does not) fit.

It is indeed amusing to see folks say that Belichick needs to see how Maroney fits in. Belichick did need to see much Taylor, Morris and Faulk had left in the tank. The answer was plenty.

Belichick wanted to see if Green-Ellis had improved. He hasn't.

With regard to Maroney, Belichick knows exactly what he's got. Frankly I would not be surprised to see Maroney as
1) the starter
2) sharing the starting role
3) a backup
4) traded or cut

What I do know is the Belichick didn't need any more information about Maroney's play to make a decision.

Why would Belichick ever cut Maroney? Well, he would if he felt that he didn't want to deal with his inconsistency.

The bottom line is that none of us has a clue with regards to Belichick's decision. I know I don't. I also know that I would respect/support any decision Belichick makes in this matter. I have no strong feelings as I did (for example) when Belichick cut Hobbs to draft the Mighty Ohrnberger or when Belichick traded our all-pro DE with no backup to step in.

It's the same exact RB group that was there last year, and BB's seen them all throughout the offseason.

I'm quite confident that BB already knows precisely where each player does (or does not) fit.

Thats simply not true. Maroney and Taylor split the job and Morris played FB until Taylor was hurt. Morris became the other half of the split then.
BB alternates 2 RBs. That is how he wants to handle the position for many reasons. You have decided that whoever splits the reps with Maroney is the starter and Maroney is the backup for whatever reason you may have to do so.

Actually Moss is an excellent perspective. His first preseason with the Pats he saw almost no playing time, which led many to jump to the conclusion he would be cut and never play a single game for the Patriots.

Goin out on a limb, jerrmaine cunningham will be on IR this year...

Thats simply not true. Maroney and Taylor split the job and Morris played FB until Taylor was hurt. Morris became the other half of the split then.
BB alternates 2 RBs. That is how he wants to handle the position for many reasons. You have decided that whoever splits the reps with Maroney is the starter and Maroney is the backup for whatever reason you may have to do so.

I decided that whoever starts the game is the starter. Fred Taylor and Morris started ahead of Maroney. Unfortunately, the running game was so bad that nobody got a substantial number of carries. But in the 2 games when they actually ran OK (before both Morris and Taylor were hurt), the starter got a lot more carries than Maroney.

Actually Moss is an excellent perspective. His first preseason with the Pats he saw almost no playing time, which led many to jump to the conclusion he would be cut and never play a single game for the Patriots.

Moss was nursing some sort of injury that preseason - I think it was a hammy. Perhaps Maroney has one now, but he hasn't missed any practice time, so that's hard to believe.

My visual look at the Patriots roster as of 8/28.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApWRaF25BKdAdHV6ZXlIMnNBQ3FNQXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&hl=en

I see Burgess getting cut, he is utterly useless and doesn't play special teams. BJGE gets cut but is on speed dial.

Good job, interesting visual. The backups on the interior line are a little scary, especially considering how Koppen has been tossed around and Neal has been sidelined the last couple of seasons. Three out of five "bottom of the roster talent" on the roster are on the interior line.

* (BTW, RCB and SS are reversed on the sheet.) *

1) This is a great 53. Nice job!

2) I would add Burgess and send Welch to the Practice Squad. There is no advantage to having Welch on the 53.

3) I'd also keep Ghiaciuc or Ohrnberger for another week, since Ojinnaka doesn't count against the 53 man roster.

4) BTW, Ojinnaka has been working at RT. I would think that he is adequate as the #4 OT.

My visual look at the Patriots roster as of 8/28.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApWRaF25BKdAdHV6ZXlIMnNBQ3FNQXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&hl=en

I see Burgess getting cut, he is utterly useless and doesn't play special teams. BJGE gets cut but is on speed dial.

Last edited:
Good job, interesting visual

Visuals always help.

Sigh...... imagine the roster with Mankins, Seymour, Ty Warren and a good OLB of your choice... The front seven is not what it used to be.

We nitpick the Patriots roster but I bet a similar comparison against other teams would yield even scary results.

In the end the season will come down to Brady's play and some players on defense stepping up.

NE Patriots Draft has updated their roster predictions, adding Aiken and Ojinnaka while cutting Wheatley.

2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 5.0 | NE Patriots Draft

On offense they have the Pats going with five RB, six WR, and nine OL; Ohrnberger, LeVoir, Wendell and Ojinnaka are their backups. On defense they have the Pats keeping all seven DL; four ILB (including McKenzie over Alexander, Williams and Fletcher); five OLB (Ninkovich and Murrell over Woods); and five corners (Wilhite and Arrington over Wheatley.)

The prediction notes the last guys in as Aiken, Wlhite and Wendell, and the last guys out being Fletcher, Wheatly, Williams and Bussey. They also list Larsen, Welch, Fletcher, Farnham, Clayton, Myers, Brown as candidates for the practice squad.

NE Patriots Draft has updated their roster predictions, adding Aiken and Ojinnaka while cutting Wheatley.

2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 5.0 | NE Patriots Draft

On offense they have the Pats going with five RB, six WR, and nine OL; Ohrnberger, LeVoir, Wendell and Ojinnaka are their backups. On defense they have the Pats keeping all seven DL; four ILB (including McKenzie over Alexander, Williams and Fletcher); five OLB (Ninkovich and Murrell over Woods); and five corners (Wilhite and Arrington over Wheatley.)

The prediction notes the last guys in as Aiken, Wlhite and Wendell, and the last guys out being Fletcher, Wheatly, Williams and Bussey. They also list Larsen, Welch, Fletcher, Farnham, Clayton, Myers, Brown as candidates for the practice squad.

Wilhite over Wheatley? I guess those guys weren't able to watch the preseason. Hopefully, someone taped it for them.

I'll be so glad when they make the final roster. Between the horrible news coverage and ubiquitous blogs of questionable authority, I'm pretty tired of guesses.

Wilhite over Wheatley? I guess those guys weren't able to watch the preseason. Hopefully, someone taped it for them.

I'll be so glad when they make the final roster. Between the horrible news coverage and ubiquitous blogs of questionable authority, I'm pretty tired of guesses.
There are many out there still predicting Wilhite over Wheatley. I agree, if it's one over the other then at this point I would take Wheatley without any hesitation.

There are many out there still predicting Wilhite over Wheatley. I agree, if it's one over the other then at this point I would take Wheatley without any hesitation.

Based on Wilhite getting playing time while Wheatley has been injured...

It's the same as saying Brace is a bust cause he's out of shape.

My point being, that's fine based on news reports or hearsay, but Wheatley and Wilhite have played a lot and they simply are not on the same level. It's not like I'm poring over tapes either.

Having said that, I would have no problem with also keeping Wilhite, since an extra DB is more likely to be used and he hustles and knows our system. Certainly better than most teams would have for a 5th CB. Depends on how things shake out.

I really have no clue whether an extra CB, OLB, DL or OL is valued by the team. Of course, keeping a player regardless of position comes into it, that's how you build future depth.

Another roster prediction, this one by Mark Farinella of the Attleboro Sun-Chronicle

Patriots beginning to take shape - The Sun Chronicle Online - Sports

Farinella starts out by including both BJGE and Aiken on his roster. He keeps LeVoir, Ghiaciuc, Wendell and Ojinnaka as backups on the line, noting that 'Bussey has been hurt and Ohrnberger has been a disappointment'.

This list has seven DL, noting that "Lewis appears to be the most vulnerable of the lot." I was surprised to see that he predicts "Jermaine Cunningham appears to be the odd man out because he hasn't been healthy enough to practice, so expect a pass for him to the injured reserve list." Elsewhere on defense he thinks Dane Fletcher sticks at ILB over Tyrone McKenzie, and Terrance Wheatley may make the team at CB over Kyle Arrington.

I would think they would put these together after a game rather than prior to a game, but here is espnBoston's latest roster projections.

New England Patriots: Predicting the 53-man roster (version 4.0) - ESPN Boston

Both Rodak and Reiss have the Pats keeping 5 RB (including BJGE) and 6 WR (including Sam Aiken.) Both writers keep nine offensive linemen including Mark LeVoir, Quinn Ojinnaka, Ryan Wendell and Ted Larsen; Reiss also adds Thomas Welch while Rodak has BB sticking with Nick Kaczur.

On defense both include Ron Brace, Myron Pryor and Damione Lewis on the defensive line; Reiss also includes Brandon Deaderick while Rodak has him headed to the practice squad. The two have the same five OLBs (Rob Ninkovich and Pierre Woods are in); Rodak has the Pats keeping a fifth ILB, Eric Alexander (both include McKenzie on the team.) With Leigh Bodden both agree the Pats keep five corners (Butler, McCourty, Wilhite, Wheatley and Arrington.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back