PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ATT patsfans: OC/QB/HC NOT the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

the taildragger

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
YOUNG INEXPERIENCED SKILL PLAYERS IS ISSUE

sorry for shouting, but talk radio has us under their control. I'm even hearing the brady injury theories again (dufus deossie)...the problem is so obvious that we just can't accept it.

of course we lack rhythm, flow, etc... it's not magic. they'll make it work sooner or later, but it could be a bumpy ride.

i've already reset my expecations for the regular season, but it's way too soon to write this team off.

last night truly SUCKED. it was a revenge game that backfired in the most pitiful way. we just need to take a deep breath. we could even be heading to 2-2, but let's keep things in perspective...

There's tons of talent on BOTH sides of the ball, they're in a crappy division with a soft schedule and they're miles away from the playoffs. Losing Weis and Crennel isn't insignificant from a teaching perspective, but they still have relatively solid coaching/playcalling (strictly based on the overall maturity of the offense, i.e. low), and despite the hysteria, they still have the best player at the most important position in the game.

deep breath. it's ok to have concerns, but let's back off the ledge.

I don't think timing was the problem on the 5 times Brady threw the ball almost into the stands with a wide open WR looking up at it.

He was missing wide open targets and particularly missing 10 feet over their heads out of bounds. If it was merely the route was run wrong, the ball wouldn't have been so far out of bounds. Some looked almost too easy.

The name Chuck Knoblauch came up late in the game.

shmessy said:
I don't think timing was the problem on the 5 times Brady threw the ball almost into the stands with a wide open WR looking up at it.

He was missing wide open targets and particularly missing 10 feet over their heads out of bounds. If it was merely the route was run wrong, the ball wouldn't have been so far out of bounds. Some looked almost too easy.

Some he threw away because of coverage, I'm sure.

We could use improvement in play calling, QB play and receivers.

Chad and Gabriel plus more experience for Maroney should do it.

If the boy wonder OC is for real, now's the timeto prove it.

I'm not smart enough to figure out whether TB's multiple overthrows were the result of coverage, injury, being hurried or just plain human error. But I do know that, with all that Tom Brady has accomplished and given the pedestal that we can all put him on, it's easy to forget that we're nonetheless still talking about a 29 year old guy who took less money than he could have demanded in order to make room under the cap for team building and who has every right to be frustrated at losing his two most productive receivers to the team's salary management strategy. I also know that I'd have to be inside his head to know the exact reasons, but that last night I was watching one pi**ed-off guy who wasn't carrying himself with his customary swagger.

the taildragger said:
YOUNG INEXPERIENCED SKILL PLAYERS IS ISSUE

sorry for shouting, but talk radio has us under their control. I'm even hearing the brady injury theories again (dufus deossie)...the problem is so obvious that we just can't accept it.

of course we lack rhythm, flow, etc... it's not magic. they'll make it work sooner or later, but it could be a bumpy ride.

i've already reset my expecations for the regular season, but it's way too soon to write this team off.

last night truly SUCKED. it was a revenge game that backfired in the most pitiful way. we just need to take a deep breath. we could even be heading to 2-2, but let's keep things in perspective...

There's tons of talent on BOTH sides of the ball, they're in a crappy division with a soft schedule and they're miles away from the playoffs. Losing Weis and Crennel isn't insignificant from a teaching perspective, but they still have relatively solid coaching/playcalling (strictly based on the overall maturity of the offense, i.e. low), and despite the hysteria, they still have the best player at the most important position in the game.

deep breath. it's ok to have concerns, but let's back off the ledge.

You are absolutely right. This is a work in progress and will hopefully continue to get better. They have some tough games ahead but then so does every other team in the league. They'll put it togther in time.

He might be pissed because McDaniels is calling the plays. I don't blame him. Our new OC needs to improve and get the right people on the field and design plays to their strengths. I put the blame on the guy who has the best collective talent at TE in the NFL, 2 great RB's, HOF QB, Good young line. If Gabriel and Jackson mature and stay healthy there are no more excuses for him. This is the best collection of offensive talent the Pats have had and we have won 3 super bowls.

Tom Brady is behaving EXACTLY as he always does. We're just not used to seeing him lose very often. This temper is mentioned in every behind-the-scenes story, every column on his growing up, and comes out EVERY TIME we lose. He's hyper-competitive and has come through just as many times while being angry as he has NOT come through while being angry. We're just not used to seeing it so much b/c usually we're winning.

shmessy said:

shemssy, I respect your opinion, but having said that, when it comes to the definition of "open receivers," I'm going to trust the judgement of a championship caliber QB to make that call.

that you or I think a guy's open (and some looked open to me too) means absolutely nothing.

let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He's earned it. This is a trust thing with his receivers (who he admitted were running the same 5 or 6 routes all night)...and I know we hate to do it but...

can we ever tip our cap to an opponent (i.e. figgy blocks, etc)? Denver's a legit D...they've always given us trouble in the passing game.

I figured it would be a low scoring game -- that would come down to field position, turnovers, big plays, 1st down avg, etc...we had to protect the ball -- at least we learned that lesson from January.

Tom's never perfect, but he's as close as it gets...for all this Rex Grossman hype, if he'd been in Tom's shoes last night, he'd have thrown about 5 picks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but Tom Brady is indeed a major factor in the Pats poor offensive play so far this season. In fact, I'd say he is the main reason. Whether he is sulking over the loss of Branch (and Givens), or just not motivated, he's gotta sh*t or get off the pot. He's gotta remember that his receivers during the 2001 SB season were Troy Brown, David Patten, Charles Johnson, Fred Coleman, Torrance Small & Bert Emmanuel, his TE's were Rod Rutledge & Jermaine (Chief) Wiggins. He certainly has more talent around him now.

He just doesn't seem to have that passion, that fire, to be the best. Right now he's a spoiled 29 year old baby.

scott99 said:
I'm sorry, but Tom Brady is indeed a major factor in the Pats poor offensive play so far this season. In fact, I'd say he is the main reason. Whether he is sulking over the loss of Branch (and Givens), or just not motivated, he's gotta sh*t or get off the pot. He's gotta remember that his receivers during the 2001 SB season were Troy Brown, David Patten, Charles Johnson, Fred Coleman, Torrance Small & Bert Emmanuel, his TE's were Rod Rutledge & Jermaine (Chief) Wiggins. He certainly has more talent around him now.

He just doesn't seem to have that passion, that fire, to be the best. Right now he's a spoiled 29 year old baby.

correct, the issue is not TALENT, but rather inexperience on the part of the skill players in this system.

thanks for the enlightenment...tom's spoiled therefore we suck...thank you for helping to define the true new enlgand football afficionado.

the taildragger said:
correct, the issue is not TALENT, but rather inexperience on the part of the skill players in this system.

thanks for the enlightenment...tom's spoiled therefore we suck...thank you for helping to define the true new enlgand football afficionado.

In no way shape or form did I state that we suck in my post. But to say that Tom isn't the reason, reminds me of a person ignoring a problem and hoping it would go away. Tom needs to find that passion he ALWAYS had, yet doesn't seem to have as of yet. That being said, if you noticed, once he had a little fire in his belly (being down 17-0 seemed to motivate him, albeit too late), he was awesome, and didn't seem to have a problem passing to Gabriel & Caldwell all of a sudden. He was 9-9 on the scoring drive. Not that I expect him to do that all of the time, but where was the lack of timing on that drive, he and the receivers looked fine on that drive.

So it makes you wonder, where was that fire and passion prior to that drive ?

scott99 said:
In no way shape or form did I state that we suck in my post. But to say that Tom isn't the reason, reminds me of a person ignoring a problem and hoping it would go away. Tom needs to find that passion he ALWAYS had, yet doesn't seem to have as of yet. That being said, if you noticed, once he had a little fire in his belly (being down 17-0 seemed to motivate him, albeit too late), he was awesome, and didn't seem to have a problem passing to Gabriel & Caldwell all of a sudden. He was 9-9 on the scoring drive. Not that I expect him to do that all of the time, but where was the lack of timing on that drive, he and the receivers looked fine on that drive.

So it makes you wonder, where was that fire and passion prior to that drive ?

as much as I wish this was merely a question of an apathetic QB who doesn't care about winning, nothing could be farther off base.

no amount of brady histrionics will provide a quick fix here.

at the end we were throwing under the prevent coverage and nobody's better in the game at carving up conservative pass D. that's not how denver played the first three quarters.

they cover well, give them some credit here. Nobody's ignoring any problems -- our O is clearly inconsistent, unproductive and underperforming -- I'm suggesting that your opinion is a misdiagnosis.

you have to be realistic about the passing game...this isn't the Pac-10, talent alone can't save you if you're not coordinated.

when Miami sends in Joey Harrington, you'll find out how nice it is to have a cheerleader as a QB even when their team is underperforming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots