Welcome to PatsFans.com

Atlanta Mom saves her family with a gun

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by RI Patriots fan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

An Atlanta mom took matters into her own hands on Friday when confronting an intruder. The unidentified woman hid with her 9-year-old twins in a crawlspace as a man broke into her house and began rummaging through it. The alleged burglar, Paul Ali Slater, eventually found the family’s hiding space, but not before finding himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver. The woman fired six shots, five of which hit Slater in the face and neck, but he managed to flee after the family ran to a neighbor’s house. Slater is expected to survive.

Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times

Good for her.....imagine if she didn't have her gun to protect her.
  2. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just need them 7 year olds to be packin heat at school and everything will be hunky dory.
  3. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

The teachers packing would work just fine for me.
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +489 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

That's one tough burglar. :eek:
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Once in awhile guns work defensively. More often than not, it's the children of gun owners who die accidentally or gun owners who injure other people. But, take heart, RI that you actually found that rare example of a gun owner having the time, awareness, and quick access to use the gun for protection.
  6. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm sure it would.
  7. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year — or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.2

• Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.3

• As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.4

Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of “Guns in America” — a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.5

Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).6 And readers of Newsweek learned that “only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The ‘error rate’ for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high.”

Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives | Guns Save Lives
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Checked out the study quoted in your "fact"-sheet, RI.

Here it is, for all those with an attention span longer than a gnat's:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt

Under "Key Findings," in case you don't want to do the hard work...

From the body of the report...

Figuring this is a U.S. government doc and therefore in the public domain. Suffice it to say, the researcher in question does a fair job explaining why the insane estimates of defensive gun uses get so inflated, from the one woman claiming 52 defensive gun uses per year (I suppose she goes shopping weekly,) to the greater prevalence of defensive gun uses than attempted crimes in some categories.

I'm not certain exactly why so little crime has happened to me. I have lived in some of the more dangerous zip codes in the country in my time. I've also intervened in a violent crime unarmed, and I've had a home broken into... in fact, at one point I was held at gunpoint in a store robbery where I worked. In none of these instances do I think my chances would have been better with a gun than without one. Of course, that's subject to attribution error; of course I think that, because I lived. But the same is true of anybody who did have a gun and survived such a situation.

I'm sure some people use guns defensively, but these self-report studies from 1994 repeated ad infinitum don't really give us much to go on in quantitative terms -- as the author of one of your quoted studies plainly states.

It is an interesting overview of gun stats from 20 years ago, and while the numbers may well have changed, I am sure some of the dynamics have remained relatively consistent... such as the half-million guns that get stolen each year, just for example.

PFnV
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

One more quote...

That sounds a lot more like what I observe in conversations with actual gun owners.... a few people showing their gun in the waistband whenever someone disagrees with him on whether there was interference on a play, or pointing it out the window at traveling salesmen and yelling "get off my property!!!"... and a whole lot of paranoids and hobbyists yammering on about how they're for "protection."

I'm really happy for the Atlanta Mom. Her family is still in danger, however, and she's its source.

Quelle domage.

PFnV
  10. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

Yes, I read the report already...thanks. I think the article clearly points out the difference between the 2.5 million figure and the 1.5 million figure. Either way, there is significant evidence to demonstrate that guns stop crime.

"Applying those restrictions leaves 19
    NSPOF respondents (0.8 percent of
    the sample), representing 1.5 million
    defensive users
    . This estimate is directly
    comparable to the well-known
    estimate of Kleck and Gertz, shown in
    the last column of exhibit 7. While the
    NSPOF estimate is smaller, it is statistically
    plausible that the difference is
    due to sampling error
    ."

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  11. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

First off, it's "quel dommage".

I usually don't like to correct people on grammar or spelling but since you were nice enough to correct me on "toe the line" I figured I'd return the favor. :D

Yes, I'm sure as she was in that crawlspace with her 2 children she was frightened of the gun she had in her hands :rolleyes:
  12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

As stipulated I'm thrilled that she and her children came out of this particular situation okay. I really am. It's great that for every X people who buy a gun for defense and end up burying a loved on, there is some fraction of X for whom actual self-defense happens.

The majority who actually ever use said weapons, however, are much more likely to use them on their loved ones than on a home invader.

Oh, and you're right on quel dommage; had to happen on something. :D

PFnV
  13. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +137 / 7 / -19

"According to these results,
    guns are used far more often to
    defend against crime than to perpetrate
    crime
    . (Firearms were used by
    perpetrators in 1.07 million incidents
    of violent crime in 1994, according to
    NCVS data.)"

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf
  14. Claremonster

Claremonster Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Have a problem with defending yourself do ya?
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Read somewhere the other day that deployed nuclear weapons avoid future use of nuclear weapons.. I know it is anecdotal, but this is pretty significant :singing:

If this trend continues, perhaps there should be consideration of doing away with our police departments and judicial system..
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  16. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 6 / -12

#75 Jersey

A shotgun would have been more effective.
  17. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 6 / -12

#75 Jersey

Our judicial system is in trouble. Hopefully (for some of us anyway) the intruder in this case won't file a lawsuit against the woman. He'd have a good chance if he got some liberal judge.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

He would have an excellent chance:confused::confused::confused:.. another comment that means nothing and there is nothing to back that up...

Those who advocate for no changes in gun laws, can sound very stupid with some of their sound bytes..
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  19. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -9

Those who advocate for changes in gun laws can sound very stupid with some of their sound bytes..
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

What we do know is scientific studies indicate that the health risk of a gun in the home is greater than the benefit..

Thanks for stalking..